Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:32 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Weekend peak hours are 20 minute headways. So you took the Green Line to King Memorial? Again, could have been avoided if you read the rail map.

I took the blue line, quit putting words in my mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:40 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
This is part of the reason I advocate for a MARTA line to Stone Mountain that branches off at Avondale (there is a massive, beautiful ROW that goes all the way to downtown Stone Mountain). It would force the Green Line to make that whole journey.

That would be one of the biggest flaws about going car-free in Decatur: waiting for the Blue Line is a complete pain.

I'm not sure why everyone is getting mad about the guy's complaint about transferring. It is a serious problem to have a wait up to 24 minutes at Five Points station, and which you cannot minimize by planning. That's why I wish they'd bump the headway up to 30 minutes then have all the Gold and Blue Line trains timed to meet at Five Points and wait there while everyone transfers (in my experience, well over half the passengers transfer at Five Points).

Old 04-24-2012, 08:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
I took the blue line, quit putting words in my mouth
Okay, so what was the problem?

Old 04-24-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Okay, so what was the problem?
It started shutting down trains. Then I had to wait 20 odd minutes for the next one because it did not get me more then 1 stop.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 AM

What time was this, usually trains run until the terminating station, then go out of service.
Quote:
This is part of the reason I advocate for a MARTA line to Stone Mountain that branches off at Avondale (there is a massive, beautiful ROW that goes all the way to downtown Stone Mountain). It would force the Green Line to make that whole journey.
I could see the Green Line terminating at Avondale once the Clifton Corridor LRT is built from Lindbergh to Avondale.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:51 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
WHOA! STOP THIS TRAIN FROM DERAILING

Don't Strawman my thread bro

No one in here was talking about density or "urban", so don't even troll this thread with that. Are you serioulsy going sit here and say that DCs Metro doesn't benifit from 2 states and the federal governments headquaters finacing it's transit system?
Facts are facts and history is history. These aren't opinions, these are historical events. I was replying to a post by the way so the intelligent thing to do would be to respond to the person who I was responding to. Cause from the original comment equals the response and reaction I gave.

As for funding being divided by Maryland, Virginia, and DC, you would be right since the system stretches into three different jurisdictions. That is the advantage when a region is split up by three jurisdictions. As for funding, Maryland, Virginia, and DC allocate an enormous amount of money to Metro every year. The states unlike Georgia and the south period see great benefits in mass transit. If Atlanta was located up north, they wouldn't have the issues they encounter fighting the southern conservatives in the state. Atlanta is an outlier in the middle of dixie and the progressive attitude Atlanta has is not shared by almost any of the states surrounding Atlanta including your own state of Georgia. It's very sad and I feel for the citizens of Atlanta having to fight tooth and nail for anything urban since the state government down there seems to think everywhere should be Mayberry.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
It's very sad and I feel for the citizens of Atlanta having to fight tooth and nail for anything urban since the state government down there seems to think everywhere should be Mayberry.
So does DC have the same attitude that Metro will bring criminals and poor people into their nice suburban developments? I mean the way some people talk about MARTA, I would think I should see criminals riding the train with TVs.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:13 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
So does DC have the same attitude that Metro will bring criminals and poor people into their nice suburban developments? I mean the way some people talk about MARTA, I would think I should see criminals riding the train with TVs.
That has always been the funniest thing about people against mass transit. I've always wanted to ask them if they really believe criminals don't perform almost all robberies with cars. It's the dumbest thing you could ever hear when people say criminals will jump on the subway carrying flat screens on their backs. Lol....just wow!!!! DC proper is only second to NYC in non-automobile commuting to work so that lifestyle overlapping into the suburbs probably has a lot to do with the rapid mass transit comfortablity for the whole region. I think DC being such a car free city is the only reason the DC MSA has higher train ridership than every city in the nation other than NYC. It works from the inside out. The more people that drive in the core city of a region, the less likely the suburbs are to be car free. Also, the harder it is to drive into the city for work and the larger the centralized job hub is, the higher the ridership.

The DC Metro, San Fran Bart, and Atl Marta gives our regions the ability to develop our suburbs at a much higher intensity than any other cities in the nation. Why is that? It's because when our subway systems are expanded deep into the suburbs, we can develop extremely dense urban cities even in the suburbs because we can provide extremely frequent high capacity service other cities can't offer their suburbs through commuter rail. It essentially allows us to build downtown size development through out our whole regions. Even NYC can't build that type of development outside NYC proper or Jersey City/Newark. Granted DC is the only one of the three cities to accomplish this so far, the possibility still exists in San Fran and Atlanta as well. The biggest problem is that people living in the DC metro area suburbs seem to be the only ones who embrace dense urban living around Metro stations. San Fran metro area residents fight development around Bart which is pretty surprising. Atlanta's Marta doesn't really leave the city yet so the potential is untapped.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-24-2012 at 12:28 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
It essentially allows us to build downtown size develop through out our whole regions. Granted DC is the only one of the three cities to accomplish this so far, the possibility still exists in San Fran and Atlanta as well
Atlanta has the Perimeter Center, which has more office space than Tyson Corner or Rosslyn in DC. It is served by 2 MARTA Stations. It is dense with several office buildings and lots of new-urbanism apartment complexes. It is the premiere edge-city of Atlanta and home to the 2 tallest suburban office towers.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Facts are facts and history is history. These aren't opinions, these are historical events. I was replying to a post by the way so the intelligent thing to do would be to respond to the person who I was responding to. Cause from the original comment equals the response and reaction I gave..
Um, huh? Well we apprciate you bringing in useless facts about density and urban that have nothing to do with the thread I guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
As for funding being divided by Maryland, Virginia, and DC, you would be right since the system stretches into three different jurisdictions. That is the advantage when a region is split up by three jurisdictions. As for funding, Maryland, Virginia, and DC allocate an enormous amount of money to Metro every year. The states unlike Georgia and the south period see great benefits in mass transit. If Atlanta was located up north, they wouldn't have the issues they encounter fighting the southern conservatives in the state. Atlanta is an outlier in the middle of dixie and the progressive attitude Atlanta has is not shared by almost any of the states surrounding Atlanta including your own state of Georgia. It's very sad and I feel for the citizens of Atlanta having to fight tooth and nail for anything urban since the state government down there seems to think everywhere should be Mayberry.
States like Georgia don't share transit with other states and the fed headquaters to finance it either. Nice try trying to downplay that huge advantage when one state has to do the job of 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta