Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 AM

738 posts, read 1,373,192 times

Advertisements

Who knows why people choose specific guns? Some people like to collect them, some hunt with them, some do target shooting, some use them for self-defense. I don't like AR-15s myself, but that's because I think they are ugly and unreliable.

People get all emotional about the term "semi-automatic". My .22 rifle is by definition semi-automatic, because it uses a magazine instead of being single-shot bolt action. I like target shooting, and I dislike reloading after every shot. But because I own a semi-automatic rifle, would you assume the worst, even though you don't know me? Because I am the most pacifist person you will ever meet, and I still enjoy shooting assault rifles once in a while.

My point is, it's not about the kind of guns used, it's about the people who use them. You can't legislate intelligence, although it would be awesome if we could. In this case, it's about some dumba$$es trying to be vigilantes -- which they could have effectively done with handguns, slingshots, or machetes. Would you outlaw all of those too? Talk to anyone from the UK about how strict gun laws have worked out for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 11:50 AM

188 posts, read 296,050 times
Guys, this case has nothing to do with guns or gun laws, period. They could have held the couple with baseball bats and knives. No difference. Let's not demonize the tool (guns) just because some idiots used them for bad. Gasoline can be used for good. It can also be used for arson. Get it?

Anyway, looks like the idiots are now having to face up to their actions:
Father, son who held neighbors at gunpoint released on bond *| ajc.com

Quote:
"What are they going to charge me with?" Canoles told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution before his meeting with the deputies.

He soon got his answer. Authorities arrested Canoles and his son Branden Canoles late Monday night and charged them with aggravated assault, false imprisonment and criminal trespass.
LOL. The AJC writer had fun with this.

If they are convicted of a felony, they will never be allowed to own a firearm ever again. Problem solved.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:02 PM

738 posts, read 1,373,192 times
I want to know what's going to happen to the five sheriff's deputies involved, who congratulated the vigilantes and handcuffed and arrested this poor couple. The newspaper stories now omit this detail, but I believe they were held overnight and had to post bond to get out of jail. IMO they are just as guilty as the neighbors. Hell of a welcome to the neighborhood.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:17 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
These weren't the only options available to the deputies. They could have taken them downtown (or wherever the county facilities are) and actually done a little research first before locking them up.
Well, that's true.

Their "lock them up first and ask questions later" policy is more of the Big Government thinking that seems to have taken hold in this country in the past few decades. America used to be based on the principle that you are innocent until proven guilty but nowadays it's the other way around.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:21 PM

454 posts, read 818,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Who knows why people choose specific guns? Some people like to collect them, some hunt with them, some do target shooting, some use them for self-defense. I don't like AR-15s myself, but that's because I think they are ugly and unreliable.

People get all emotional about the term "semi-automatic". My .22 rifle is by definition semi-automatic, because it uses a magazine instead of being single-shot bolt action. I like target shooting, and I dislike reloading after every shot. But because I own a semi-automatic rifle, would you assume the worst, even though you don't know me? Because I am the most pacifist person you will ever meet, and I still enjoy shooting assault rifles once in a while.

My point is, it's not about the kind of guns used, it's about the people who use them. You can't legislate intelligence, although it would be awesome if we could. In this case, it's about some dumba$$es trying to be vigilantes -- which they could have effectively done with handguns, slingshots, or machetes. Would you outlaw all of those too? Talk to anyone from the UK about how strict gun laws have worked out for them.
How have strict gun was worked out for the UK! How about a murder rate less than 3% of the US. There are way more gun deaths in Atlanta than the whole of the UK. Also in the UK I no one moving into a new house would be held up at gunpoint nor walking home shot by neighborhood watch.

Have you been to the UK because its a way safer place to live than GA.....

As for guns themselves they empower vigilantes like in this case.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:25 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,228,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, that's true.

Their "lock them up first and ask questions later" policy is more of the Big Government thinking that seems to have taken hold in this country in the past few decades. America used to be based on the principle that you are innocent until proven guilty but nowadays it's the other way around.

I don't know about that. That same guy would have been lynched for less only a few decades ago.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I don't know about that. That same guy would have been lynched for less only a few decades ago.
Sadly, that's possible, though not likely.

I guess my point was that the presumption of innocent until proven guilty -- to the extent it ever really existed -- seems to have faded before the modern Big Government model. As in the case of these folks out in Newton, the new approach often seems to be "Lock 'em and we'll sort it out later."

Old 04-25-2012, 05:09 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,123,752 times
Quote:
Sadly, that's possible, though not likely.

I guess my point was that the presumption of innocent until proven guilty -- to the extent it ever really existed -- seems to have faded before the modern Big Government model. As in the case of these folks out in Newton, the new approach often seems to be "Lock 'em and we'll sort it out later."
Actually, vigilantism is the diametric opposite of big government. And I fear it's where we're headed if we don't stop the extremism that is masquerading as the new normal.

There's a reason why we have a well-regulated police force: so that crap like this doesn't have to happen.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Actually, vigilantism is the diametric opposite of big government. And I fear it's where we're headed if we don't stop the extremism that is masquerading as the new normal.

There's a reason why we have a well-regulated police force: so that crap like this doesn't have to happen.
I was referring to the cops who chose to lock these people up, not the vigilantes.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:31 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,123,752 times
Quote:
I was referring to the cops who chose to lock these people up, not the vigilantes.
Ah. But corrupt police are nothing new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: