Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 AM

207 posts, read 322,100 times

Advertisements

US home prices drop for 6th straight month - Yahoo! Finance

Quote:
Home prices dropped in February in most major U.S. cities for a sixth straight month, a sign that modest sales gains haven't been enough to boost prices.

The Standard & Poor's/Case-Shiller home-price index shows that prices dropped in February from January in 16 of the 20 cities it tracks.

Prices in nine cities fell to their lowest levels since the housing bust. The average price in Atlanta fell 17.3 percent in February compared with a year earlier. That's the biggest annual drop in the history of the index for any city.
I hope this bleak news registers with those who think the decline in Atlanta home prices is simply a "market correction." Home prices in Atlanta are in absolute free fall, threatening to bring the entire local economy down with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 03:28 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
What are the boundaries for "Atlanta"? Is this inside the perimetier or does it encompass areas like Kennesaw, Alpharetta, etc?

Old 04-24-2012, 03:45 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Looking at the bright side, I think this tremendous decline in housing prices will turn Atlanta into the affordable housing mecca of the United States. At some point, prices will cease to fall, and people will realize that we have the cheapest housing anywhere, and they'll be buying houses in droves. Even Detroit, a city far worse off than us, is showing housing price increases as of late - they just beat us to the bottom is all.

Still, the fall in Atlanta's housing prices is nothing short of breathtaking...

Old 04-24-2012, 03:47 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
But haven't you read what local real estate agents have been talking about?

The market is starting to turn! Things are starting to sell! If you want in on these prices, you better act now!!!!!

That's because they all work in the magical parts of the city that are completely immune from the numbers. Fact, schmacts! Don't try to use data to convince agents.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:52 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
But haven't you read what local real estate agents have been talking about?

The market is starting to turn! Things are starting to sell! If you want in on these prices, you better act now!!!!!

That's because they all work in the magical parts of the city that are completely immune from the numbers. Fact, schmacts! Don't try to use data to convince agents.
A lot of areas are in Atlanta are still doing quite well. My best friend and her husband just bought a house in the Silver Lake area off Johnson Ferry. Not only did the lady have multiple offers on her house, she hadn't even yet put it on the market. They have been outbid several times for other homes in the same area. Remember, we can't lump all of the metro together.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:56 PM

There will always be pockets. Just like during the boom, there were certain areas that never experienced huge jumps.

I just like pointing out that most (not all) realtors are snake oil salesmen.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:58 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
The price declines are nothing short of incredible. Late 2011/2012 has turned out to be by far the worst period in Atlanta housing since before the crisis began.

From my blog:

The above data uses the seasonally-adjusted data, which is a tiny bit different than that which is quoted in the news.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:18 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,390 times
I thought Atlanta, despite these drops, overall hadn't bottomed out as much as a couple of other cities like Las Vegas and Detroit.

My question is, why are these huge drops happening *now*? Is it due to Atlanta's foreclosures relative to other cities' foreclosures?

I really think this has got to be really specific to some submarkets in Atlanta. My own place in West Midtown went *up* 5.4% in value over this same period. And I've heard similar stories of some areas in town doing quite well.

I wish we could get some better mapping of where values are rising and tanking.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I wish we could get some better mapping of where values are rising and tanking.
You mean a map of where they are tanking and where they are tanking less?

Seriously, I don't know if there is a single area in ATL where prices are rising yet. Maybe a very few isolated pockets in VaHi or something, but they would be extremely few and far between.

The map you are talking about would be cool, though.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
I just did a refinance for my home and had an appraisal done. While it has lost plenty of value (about 25% in 4.5 years, which I knew from the reduction in tax assessment), the appraiser said that our area was stabilizing and that inventory was moving faster than it had been.

So...the point is that specific counties, neighborhoods, and even subdivisions may experience more of less fluctuation in value. Our house has been pretty much at the same value for about a year now, with not much drop given the appraisal done two weeks ago compared to my market research and tax appeal about a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta