Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 08:16 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,034 times

Advertisements

That block south of Alabama is such a shame nowadays. There used to be the Rich's and Kessler's and who knows what else(its heyday was a good bit before my time). Someone posted a video a while back of a drive down Peachtree in the 80's and the difference in that single block stood out more to me than any other difference in that video, and there have been a lot of huge changes since then. Back then the crowd was mixed with several well-dressed ladies and gentlemen strolling along, some of them carrying shopping bags. Nowadays it's all a bunch of Baby Mommas and dudes in XXXXXXL white tees just hanging out with nothing better to do. It's urban blight at its worst just steps from the city's main tourist drag. Last time I was in that area I was called "white trash" for having the audacity to order a cup of coffee at the McDonalds at 5 Points. The coward didn't say it to my face though, even after I invited him to.

That block has some of the coolest facades(if you disregard the ghetto store fronts) in Atlanta. It sort of reminds me of something out of SoHo. Too bad they are in the state they're in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Box

382 posts, read 661,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
That block south of Alabama is such a shame nowadays. There used to be the Rich's and Kessler's and who knows what else(its heyday was a good bit before my time). Someone posted a video a while back of a drive down Peachtree in the 80's and the difference in that single block stood out more to me than any other difference in that video, and there have been a lot of huge changes since then. Back then the crowd was mixed with several well-dressed ladies and gentlemen strolling along, some of them carrying shopping bags. Nowadays it's all a bunch of Baby Mommas and dudes in XXXXXXL white tees just hanging out with nothing better to do. It's urban blight at its worst just steps from the city's main tourist drag. Last time I was in that area I was called "white trash" for having the audacity to order a cup of coffee at the McDonalds at 5 Points. The coward didn't say it to my face though, even after I invited him to.
Maybe you should have gotten the mcshake? But really the fact that you have a bunch of traditionally low income stores put together in one location means that you're naturally going to attract solely a low income demographic. Now, I dont want five points to turn into another hipster or yuppie enclave by any means, but for gods sake build some worth while businesses in the area along side the dollar stores.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:36 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,098,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
Whats the deal with all the conspiracy theories? Are you on the neal boortz show? Bottom line is land area of a city is not accurate of a city's urban core. I made a very basic statement now all the atlanta crazies are after me
What's conspicuous about it?
You care little for Atlanta right?

But then When someone say something positive your irritated right?

You compare Atlanta's core to Chattanooga, Birmingham and etc?

I shown that ridiculous. Now your coming back straw maning everything I'm saying. And Now were the "Atlanta Crazy" for pointing out how ridiculous that comparison is.
I'm still talking about your original statemented quote " but the only thing separating it from the other cities in the southeast is the tall buildings. Without those buildings, Atlanta just looks like a giant parking lot compared to Chattanooga, Birmingham, Savannah, etc. etc."
So I came back posting this, 1950
Atlanta the city was 331,314 in 36.9 sq mi with 8,979/sq mi.
Birmingham was 326,037 in 65.3 sq mi with 4,993/sq mi.
Chattanooga was 131,041 in 28.0 sq mi with 4,680/sq mi.

straw man 1) Your focus on larger area creating low density. The fail part is I'm using that time period partly because the areas are small, most cities were under 100 sq mi. They were pretty were just the core, there were less than 10 cities out the whole country over 100 sq mi.

straw man 2) Birmingham and Atlanta's city areas were comparable so bringing up area at all is irrelevant. Atlanta is obviously built a lot denser, it near had 90% more people in same area as Birmingham.

straw man 3) Chattanooga and Atlanta had similar population but how ever Chattanooga city limits then was nearly twice as Atlanta. Atlanta is obviously built a lot denser, It had half the area but still came out a little more in pop.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:37 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,154,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
You're right. Maybe Trader Joe's or Starbucks will want to open up there....

I say let the market determine what is established in each location and the market here demands urban stores. It makes sense that they are clustered because the customers would want stores they like to shop be clustered together. This seems similar to every other retail development in the world.
Disagree. We're talking basically ground zero of Atlanta, within a stone's throw of its most important transit station. And it looks like a freakin' ghetto with all those stores.

Look I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them per se, but the location just sucks. Mixed-use development will be hindered while that stuff is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Maybe you should have gotten the mcshake? But really the fact that you have a bunch of traditionally low income stores put together in one location means that you're naturally going to attract solely a low income demographic. Now, I dont want five points to turn into another hipster or yuppie enclave by any means, but for gods sake build some worth while businesses in the area along side the dollar stores.
What's so bad about hipster?

Seriously, though, yeah let's just mix it up a little bit. Let the heart of downtown become a melting pot of cultures and commerce. Don't overly favor one culture too much--don't make another Little Five Points, South DeKalb, or bland urban shopping center. Yeah, a mix. I like that.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:48 PM

368 posts, read 539,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
A handful of buzzwords followed by some carefully selected, closely cropped photos from one of the only active streets in Midtown do not a city make.

There seem to be quite a few urban hipsters living here who are in denial about it. Don't oversell it.
I'm not in any sort of denial. I am constantly trying to improve the sub-par sidewalks, transit, and land use in Atlanta. I provide public input at ARC and NPU functions. I donate to PEDS and the ABC. You can sit around and criticize me and others who see the good in Atlanta and try to change the bad. In the end, you're accomplishing nothing while we change the city for the better.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Box

What I think five points needs to do is to sorta model its development around how Harlem has developed around the apollo area. Sure you have the hair places, dollar stores, etc but you also have diverse restaurants, and cool shops in the same area. I also think there needs to be an emphasis on encouraging local businesses to open up in this area, rather than mainly focusing on large retail places or chains.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 PM

725 posts, read 1,278,949 times
Moving the City Jail would be a good first step to fixing South Downtown.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:57 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,098,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

That block has some of the coolest facades(if you disregard the ghetto store fronts) in Atlanta. It sort of reminds me of something out of SoHo. Too bad they are in the state they're in.
- One Hour - One City: Atlanta - 5 Points! - - SkyscraperPage Forum

So let me get this straight, it's bad because many people were dress in urban fashion, and your slurring mothers or possible mothers as Baby Mommas. And because they weren't the demographic you want them to be rather they had nothing better to do.

I don't believe that was the full story, so folks randomly call you a slur for ordering a cup of coffee at the McDonalds.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
- One Hour - One City: Atlanta - 5 Points! - - SkyscraperPage Forum

So let me get this straight, it's bad because many people were dress in urban fashion, and your slurring mothers or possible mothers as Baby Mommas. And because they weren't the demographic you want them to be rather they had nothing better to do.

I don't believe that was the full story, so folks randomly call you a slur for ordering a cup of coffee at the McDonalds.
Yeah I wasn't even gonna touch that one lol.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:54 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
I'm not going to lie. I'm a student at GSU who lived in housing the past 2 years and I was always a bit worried about my safety towards the Five points station and south of there. I mean, i didn't think there was a high chance or anything I would get mugged, but I can see how someone can be a little skeptical of the area walking through it. There were a lot of ghetto-acting people there who talked loud and just acted very uncivilized. I'm not sure if I actually saw a robbery at one of the stores in that block on Peachtree just south of the MARTA station, but I saw some dudes running out of the store looking suspicious....

I mean, people who try to defend the area....really guys? Trust me, that area of downtown needs some work.

Even in front of the five points station, I can see how someone can be uneasy especially if they aren't used to be around people like that.

My favorite area of Downtown is definitely broad Street or Peachtree Center. Definitely the most urban areas too with character.

My favorite area of Midtown is probably Tech Square. I don't know why, but I love that area.

But yeah, Atlanta is nowhere near perfect and has a very long way to go. I wish the activity was spread out in it's urban core, but that won't happen without more mixed used development and more people moving into the area.

On the contrary, there are still many active areas one can enjoy themselves and embrace themselves in the Beauty of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta