Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 04:53 AM

3,707 posts, read 5,981,543 times

Advertisements

Wow...I haven't really heard the complaint that Atlanta's apartment development is slow right now. Most people are worried it is growing unsustainably fast, especially in Buckhead.

And Midtown is adding something like 600 units a year, with a new highrise coming on line every six months or so. If this continues for a decade, we're talking a night and day transformation. Midtown's population is only about 23,000, including Atlantic Station and Ansley Park. Another 6,000 housing units concentrated in the core of Midtown would be huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 07:00 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,868,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Things are still taking forever to be built. Apartments just aren't coming fast enough for the core....compare ATL to DC. DC there are apartment midrises going up everywhere...literally everywhere. The urban footprint of the city is dramatically changing. Same can't be said for Atlanta. While Midtown has changed a decent amount the last 10 years, it's still just isn't fast enough.
i don't agree— midtown has seen something like 4 new highrise apartment buildings top out in the last 12 months or so. that's pretty significant— but on the same token you can't expect the neighbourhood to change overnight. "not fast enough" is a matter of personal opinion.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:07 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,215,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Better than the lack of changes downtown. And as the housing market continues to recover, this will improve. Of course, Georgia and especially Atlanta have lagged behind much of the nation in terms of recovery, so this may not come to pass.
I often wonder what with all the new housing developments being built in Buckhead and Midtown who is going to fill those units.

It is true that people continue to move to the Atlanta area but as discussed in other threads, they tend to move to the suburbs, not the city itself. It doesn’t seem to be a huge influx of people moving into the city as people want more affordable, larger homes with more space in the ‘burbs. When the recession hit, in 2009 many of the units in Atlantic Station had gone into foreclosure.

It seems that developers here have this build-and-they-will come mentality when it comes to Atlanta, which is why Atlanta’s housing market and economy was one of the hardest hit during the recession. Atlanta is still lagging behind in job recovery, so what with the city proper’s core being small, most people are living in the ‘burbs and Atlanta’s job market is still lagging, who are all these people that will fill up these new units being built in Midtown and Buckhead?

Does Atlanta have a huge percentage of people who want to move into the city and can afford to live in these new developments?

There have also been condos being built then sitting empty and developers being forced to turn them into rental units to fill them.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Wow...I haven't really heard the complaint that Atlanta's apartment development is slow right now. Most people are worried it is growing unsustainably fast, especially in Buckhead.

And Midtown is adding something like 600 units a year, with a new highrise coming on line every six months or so. If this continues for a decade, we're talking a night and day transformation. Midtown's population is only about 23,000, including Atlantic Station and Ansley Park. Another 6,000 housing units concentrated in the core of Midtown would be huge.

Whoever said that doesn't know what they are talking about

Old 04-15-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I often wonder what with all the new housing developments being built in Buckhead and Midtown who is going to fill those units.

It is true that people continue to move to the Atlanta area but as discussed in other threads, they tend to move to the suburbs, not the city itself. It doesn’t seem to be a huge influx of people moving into the city as people want more affordable, larger homes with more space in the ‘burbs. When the recession hit, in 2009 many of the units in Atlantic Station had gone into foreclosure.

It seems that developers here have this build-and-they-will come mentality when it comes to Atlanta, which is why Atlanta’s housing market and economy was one of the hardest hit during the recession. Atlanta is still lagging behind in job recovery, so what with the city proper’s core being small, most people are living in the ‘burbs and Atlanta’s job market is still lagging, who are all these people that will fill up these new units being built in Midtown and Buckhead?

Does Atlanta have a huge percentage of people who want to move into the city and can afford to live in these new developments?

There have also been condos being built then sitting empty and developers being forced to turn them into rental units to fill them.
The people that will fill them would be the same people who would have filled them years ago if developers would have focused more on intown living verses building McMansions in the suburbs. I think more apartments should have been built in Buckhead and Midtown when Atlanta was know for its nightlife back in the 80s and 90s.

Plus once our mega projects open next year more people from the suburbs are going to want to move near the "action"

Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
The people that will fill them would be the same people who would have filled them years ago if developers would have focused more on intown living verses building McMansions in the suburbs. I think more apartments should have been built in Buckhead and Midtown when Atlanta was know for its nightlife back in the 80s and 90s.

Plus once our mega projects open next year more people from the suburbs are going to want to move near the "action"
I think that was part of the problem: building out instead of building inward. But the again that begs the question of what people really want. People wanted the McMansions, especially transplants moving here with families and wanted houses. Atlanta’s big draw was cheap houses, but those cheap houses are in the ‘burbs, not the city. The ‘burbs is the bigger draw for them because the whole purpose of many of people coming to Atlanta is so they can own homes or get more homes for the money and it’s more affordable to do that in the ‘burbs. You may have younger people who want to live in town, but then as they get married, they also end up buying houses in the ‘burbs so they can have space to grow a family.

The thing that dried up Buckhead’s nightlife was the crime along with the residents not wanting the noise and partiers. Now there has been a new rash of robberies and kidnappings in Buckhead and that could end up being a deterrent keeping people from wanting to move back to the area in large numbers. Supposedly they’ve been catching these people so hopefully things will calm down. I haven’t felt unsafe since living in Buckhead, however. A friend of mine works in a bar in Buckhead and he said the residents near the bar complain about the noise. Outside of the bars in the Roswell/E. Andrews area on weekends, Buckhead also typically very calm and quiet accept for car traffic during rush hour.

I think also the reason why the developers focus on building in the suburbs. Atlanta seems to have or attract people who want a more suburban lifestyle, which is why we are having these kinds of discussion in the first place.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I think that was part of the problem: building out instead of building inward. But the again that begs the question of what people really want. People wanted the McMansions, especially transplants moving here with families and wanted houses. Atlanta’s big draw was cheap houses, but those cheap houses are in the ‘burbs, not the city. The ‘burbs is the bigger draw for them because the whole purpose of many of people coming to Atlanta is so they can own homes or get more homes for the money and it’s more affordable to do that in the ‘burbs. You may have younger people who want to live in town, but then as they get married, they also end up buying houses in the ‘burbs so they can have space to grow a family.

The thing that dried up Buckhead’s nightlife was the crime along with the residents not wanting the noise and partiers. Now there has been a new rash of robberies and kidnappings in Buckhead and that could end up being a deterrent keeping people from wanting to move back to the area in large numbers. Supposedly they’ve been catching these people so hopefully things will calm down. I haven’t felt unsafe since living in Buckhead, however. A friend of mine works in a bar in Buckhead and he said the residents near the bar complain about the noise. Outside of the bars in the Roswell/E. Andrews area on weekends, Buckhead also typically very calm and quiet accept for car traffic during rush hour.

I think also the reason why the developers focus on building in the suburbs. Atlanta seems to have or attract people who want a more suburban lifestyle, which is why we are having these kinds of discussion in the first place.

- I still think plenty of people without a family would have moved intown back in the day. I know living intown today is better than it was back in the 80s 90s but I'm sure if they would have built some high-rise apartments in Midtown in the 80s 90s that they would have filled up

- Crime happens everywhere. The Buckhead crimes that you mentioned arent a big deal. It could have happened anywhere. Those bars been in Buckhead for over 20 years. If someone have a problem with noise dont move nears bars.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
- I still think plenty of people without a family would have moved intown back in the day. I know living intown today is better than it was back in the 80s 90s but I'm sure if they would have built some high-rise apartments in Midtown in the 80s 90s that they would have filled up

- Crime happens everywhere. The Buckhead crimes that you mentioned arent a big deal. It could have happened anywhere. Those bars been in Buckhead for over 20 years. If someone have a problem with noise dont move nears bars.
I'd venture to say that kidnappings are a pretty big deal, but I agree that crime can happen anywhere. That still doesn't change that it was the crime that killed Buckhead's "scene." I also agree that people who live near the bars have no right to complain. They should move, not the bars. If the few bars that are left in Buckhead close down, what will people do for nightlife?

Old 04-15-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I'd venture to say that kidnappings are a pretty big deal, but I agree that crime can happen anywhere. That still doesn't change that it was the crime that killed Buckhead's "scene." I also agree that people who live near the bars have no right to complain. They should move, not the bars. If the few bars that are left in Buckhead close down, what will people do for nightlife?
There are at least 40 bars in the Buckhead District. I was there this weekend. Andrews Entertainment District has at least 8 venues and there are at least 30 bars down the street. Those bars will never close down because it doesnt attract troublemakers. When BA is complete next year the area will be even better. I actually like how Atlanta nightlife is now. It is more spread out. You can hit up a bar in Buckhead or Va-Hi. You can go to Midtown on either the 10th and Piedmont area or you can party around Crescent Ave and the 12th and Midtown Development. The young AA college kids go to Castleberry Hill. Edgewood Ave has about 6 bars. Atlantic Station has a few bars and you can go to Chesire Bridge Rd for a strip club or alternative nightlife. Plus it is plenty of things to get into OTP. I think Atlanta is heading in the right direction

Young thugs and BMF killed Buckhead nightlife scene (I'm Black). For the most part, Buckhead does not have any venues that cater to the thugs anymore. Most of those thugs party on Old National and in Dekalb County for the most part until 4am.

Go get back to the original question it isn't that bad. Look at all the developments that are coming to the intown core http://map.atlantadev.com/

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 04-15-2013 at 08:39 AM..

Old 04-15-2013, 09:48 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,127,744 times
More people would want to move to the core if the core gets built up. Manhattan, SF, Chicago, and DC are so attractive to me right now is because of their endless wall to wall development in and around the core and great transit. They have mixed used everywhere and there's a lot of vibrancy in these cities. If Atlanta could build the same thing, the demand to live in the city would explode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta