Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 05:29 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,894,894 times

Advertisements

I don't think Atlantas core is bad . There are really some great walkable intown nieghborhoods. I i think u can find almost every housing style in the core. I really love glenwood park beautiful area..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 06:41 AM

657 posts, read 1,500,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Jealousy and envy of what, sweetheart?
LOL!

Exactly -- Atlanta is last on a list of "cities I'm envious of":

I'm envious of lower Manhattan's Italian, Chinese and vibrant gay neighborhoods, of Brooklyn's artistic and cultural funkiness, of South Beach's gorgeous waters and beautiful people, of San Francisco's steep hills, Mediterranean climate and live and let live attitude. And I'm actually jealous these cities aren't overrun with thugs with their pants on the ground hassling people for money, cursing at or shooting one another.

In the urban cores of those cities, the ratio of thugs to good people is very low, unlike Atlanta where they run rampant at Screen On the Green or Lenox Mall like they own the place.

The only thing hyper-linear about Atlanta is the huge puff of smoke being blown up City Data's chimney, as per usual.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 AM

23,374 posts, read 43,860,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
LOL!

Exactly -- Atlanta is last on a list of "cities I'm envious of":

I'm envious of lower Manhattan's Italian, Chinese and vibrant gay neighborhoods, of Brooklyn's artistic and cultural funkiness, of South Beach's gorgeous waters and beautiful people, of San Francisco's steep hills, Mediterranean climate and live and let live attitude. And I'm actually jealous these cities aren't overrun with thugs with their pants on the ground hassling people for money, cursing at or shooting one another.

In the urban cores of those cities, the ratio of thugs to good people is very low, unlike Atlanta where they run rampant at Screen On the Green or Lenox Mall like they own the place.

The only thing hyper-lineal about Atlanta is the huge puff of smoke being blown up City Data's chimney, as per usual.
I really dont know why you waste your time. The regular posters on here know that when it comes to Atlanta, you are less than objective.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 AM

113 posts, read 310,517 times
Bottom Line: The downtown area, specifically the area around Five Points and Underground is the inner city ghetto. You just can't have an inner city ghetto in your downtown area. I have never seen this phenomenon in any other city I've lived or visited. Since I've worked downtown, I've seen at least 5-10 instances in broad daylight of people getting arrested, with the handcuffs on them, getting pushed into paddywagons. That's an extremely embarrassing sight to have to witness in your downtown area, and something I've never seen before anywhere else. I hope to hell that no tourists have ever had to witness sights like that. I'm not even talking about all the vacant storefronts in the downtown area, or the atrocity that is Underground, which seem to be a very low priority in fixing. The city just doesn't seem to care about fixing downtown. They want to keep it a 'gritty inner city ghetto'. They don't seem to care about the loiterers, the homeless or the drug deals. The city doesn't care, locals who live outside the Perimeter could care less about having a thriving downtown. They're perfectly content to live in their gated communities in Alpharetta. Why are the Braves, the Hawks and until they moved, the Thrashers, having so much trouble with attendance? Because no one wants to go downtown. Unlike other regions of the country, where cities and counties all work as 1 region to promote their downtown cities, like Chicago or Boston, here we all work as a bunch of separate, distinct areas fighting for their own piece of the pie.

If any more evidence is needed about how the suburban areas of Atlanta feel towards their
downtown area, check out the web address of the tourism site of Bartow County.

Cartersville-Bartow County CVB

Old 05-30-2012, 07:44 AM

4,688 posts, read 7,995,871 times
Lol at the poster stating the trashers left because people did not want to visit downtown

Old 05-30-2012, 07:57 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,879,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsee View Post
Bottom Line: The downtown area, specifically the area around Five Points and Underground is the inner city ghetto. You just can't have an inner city ghetto in your downtown area. I have never seen this phenomenon in any other city I've lived or visited. Since I've worked downtown, I've seen at least 5-10 instances in broad daylight of people getting arrested, with the handcuffs on them, getting pushed into paddywagons. That's an extremely embarrassing sight to have to witness in your downtown area, and something I've never seen before anywhere else. I hope to hell that no tourists have ever had to witness sights like that. I'm not even talking about all the vacant storefronts in the downtown area, or the atrocity that is Underground, which seem to be a very low priority in fixing. The city just doesn't seem to care about fixing downtown. They want to keep it a 'gritty inner city ghetto'. They don't seem to care about the loiterers, the homeless or the drug deals. The city doesn't care, locals who live outside the Perimeter could care less about having a thriving downtown. They're perfectly content to live in their gated communities in Alpharetta. Why are the Braves, the Hawks and until they moved, the Thrashers, having so much trouble with attendance? Because no one wants to go downtown. Unlike other regions of the country, where cities and counties all work as 1 region to promote their downtown cities, like Chicago or Boston, here we all work as a bunch of separate, distinct areas fighting for their own piece of the pie.

If any more evidence is needed about how the suburban areas of Atlanta feel towards their

Man, these are so ghetto.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:06 AM

369 posts, read 655,675 times
I think the downtown core is the most genuine part of the city, it really proves wrong all the naysayers that always say Atlanta is just a suburban sprawling city.

There is the greatest mix of architecture from all time periods in the downtown area. There are still a significant amount of historic buildings there that are a gold mine to some developer with a brain.

But people forget that cities were created out of the neccessity of commerce and trade first and foremost. and Atlanta does that very well overall but if they just need to revitalize the neglected south downtown.

Urban cores are not exclusively meant for you to walk around and adore the area or even live there. It's about business and trade first.

I also like how people compare Atlanta to boston, DC and NYC SanFran. Cities that have had over 100+ years head start and/or were not purposely suppressed.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,239,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsee View Post

Well, that's childish. I'd be embarrassed by that if I lived there.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,759,862 times
Quote:
It is too squishied between the Downtown connector and residential areas to the east
Density can spill over GT and into West Midtown neighborhoods. Do not think that Midtown residential neighborhoods are gonna allow historic homes to be torn down for higher density, taller, multistory residential towers.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:38 AM

16,647 posts, read 29,366,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Density can spill over GT and into West Midtown neighborhoods. Do not think that Midtown residential neighborhoods are gonna allow historic homes to be torn down for higher density, taller, multistory residential towers.
For real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta