Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 04:35 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
An engineering degree from GT puts you on top of the recruiting pile for high paying jobs at various silicon valley companies and wall street firms, though. so, if you don't plan on going to grad school it's worth paying the extra tuition. these companies generally don't really care if you went to grad school aside from very specialized positions, which don't necessarily pay better.
There are some VERY good schools in most states too. You are probably better off with a high GPA from a decent school than a mediocre GPA from GT. GT is very stingy with the grades. GT is well respected but you still need a good GPA.

And these days, a Master's is what a Bachelor's used to be which was what a High School Diploma used to be. Hopefully, we never get to the point of expecting most people to have a PhD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 04:39 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
As the parent of a college student who is working hard and still struggling, I find it offensive that you assume poor grades = laziness. Really, this is a $hitty thing to say. Any useful comments you made are vastly overshadowed by your insults. You don't know the OP or his/her situation; why choose to be judgmental and nasty?
Not insults, just a dose of reality.

The world rewards performers. I don't care what personal crap someone had that influenced their poor performance. I see it as either they aren't smart and tried hard or they are smart and don't work hard. Either way, I wouldn't hire that individual. The World is based on results and this person doesn't have them. Everyone has personal issues. Some people work through them and succeed, others don't and fail. Why aren't these simple lessons taught anymore? Oh right... they are mean

And I'll say it again, college isn't for everyone.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:40 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
There are some VERY good schools in most states too. You are probably better off with a high GPA from a decent school than a mediocre GPA from GT. GT is very stingy with the grades. GT is well respected but you still need a good GPA.

And these days, a Master's is what a Bachelor's used to be which was what a High School Diploma used to be. Hopefully, we never get to the point of expecting most people to have a PhD.
College GPA really only matters for getting your first job, and even then only at some employers. After that most companies care more about your work experience than your college grades. Even better if you can build up your work experience in college. I finished at GT with a not very great GPA but since i had a few years work experience to show when I finished in addition to school no one asked or cared what my GPA was.

That said I agree that a high GPA from a lesser school is probably better than a mediocre one from GT, because everyone respects a high GPA, only people that really understand GT respect a low GPA from GT. I do think there are a lot of people that understand it and respect it, but not as many as you will impress with a high GPA.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Not insults, just a dose of reality.

The world rewards performers. I don't care what personal crap someone had that influenced their poor performance. I see it as either they aren't smart and tried hard or they are smart and don't work hard. Either way, I wouldn't hire that individual. The World is based on results and this person doesn't have them. Everyone has personal issues. Some people work through them and succeed, others don't and fail. Why aren't these simple lessons taught anymore? Oh right... they are mean

And I'll say it again, college isn't for everyone.
Example:

Look at this kid. Sawyer Rosenstein, New Jersey Middle School Student, Nets $4.2 Million Settlement For Bully's Paralyzing Punch

Talk about personal issues, he had his abdomen bashed in when he was 12 by a school bully and is now confined to a wheel chair for the rest of his life, yet he did well in school and managed to get into Syracuse. He also runs a podcast about space and attended the final space shuttle launch as a credentialed media member.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
College GPA really only matters for getting your first job, and even then only at some employers. After that most companies care more about your work experience than your college grades. Even better if you can build up your work experience in college. I finished at GT with a not very great GPA but since i had a few years work experience to show when I finished in addition to school no one asked or cared what my GPA was.

That said I agree that a high GPA from a lesser school is probably better than a mediocre one from GT, because everyone respects a high GPA, only people that really understand GT respect a low GPA from GT. I do think there are a lot of people that understand it and respect it, but not as many as you will impress with a high GPA.
I completely agree. In fact, in time, they won't care that you went to Georgia Tech.

But I've seen some students' dreams smashed by GT's tough grading. Honestly, they'd have fared a better chance at GSU and getting that high GPA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta