Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times

Advertisements

If this does not pass, then we can't come up with another plan for at least 3 years. That's 3 more years of suffering thru traffic and watching other cities recover quicker than us. We, metro Atlanta, need this to pass. Do I agree on all project, HELL NO, but I agree on the majority and its a good start.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Isn't that the point of being facetious? Oh, well.

I was poking fun at this board which constantly takes shots at the Tea Party crowd for their anti-tax, limited government stance. I found it pretty funny that an organization as left wing as the Sierra Club is opposing this tax. Opposition to this tax isn't isolated to one political ideology as some on here point out. I mean... I doubt that South Dekalb "I gotsta gets mines" opposition crowd is working with the Tea Party

With that said, I'm in favor of the tax and will be voting in favor of it.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post

I was poking fun at this board which constantly takes shots at the Tea Party crowd for their anti-tax, limited government stance. I found it pretty funny that an organization as left wing as the Sierra Club is opposing this tax. Opposition to this tax isn't isolated to one political ideology as some on here point out. I mean... I doubt that South Dekalb "I gotsta gets mines" opposition crowd is working with the Tea Party

With that said, I'm in favor of the tax and will be voting in favor of it.
That's exactly why it didn't come across as humor. Since it's mostly a roads project, it makes sense that Sierra Club would oppose it.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:37 AM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's our one shot to stay in the game. If we blow this, metro Atlanta might as well hang it up.
This.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
I'm a lefty and I oppose the tax just as I oppose any sales tax as these taxes hit low income earners harder and are therefore unfair.

And also because it only puts a bandaid on the problem and does nothing to solve it.
In 10 years there will be a call for another tax.

Here's what I propose.
All these corporations that are spending all this money lobbying for the tax, why not have them and all the other entities that tear up the roads the most so they can make a profit pay for the improvements rather than people that may not even use the roads.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:02 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
And also because it only puts a bandaid on the problem and does nothing to solve it.In 10 years there will be a call for another tax.
There's no such thing as a solution.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:04 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
Quote:
Here's what I propose.
All these corporations that are spending all this money lobbying for the tax, why not have them and all the other entities that tear up the roads the most so they can make a profit pay for the improvements rather than people that may not even use the roads.
How much do you think "all of this money" these companies are spending on lobbying this cause? Big picture, they aren't spending anything significant. Putting the tax on the corporations doesn't save the taxpayers money. The corporations will react to increased taxes one of two ways.

One, they would increase the prices of their goods or services. Who pays for this price increase? The consumers (the taxpayers). Regardless of who you tax, the cost of the tax gets transferred to the individual.

Two, they could not want to pay the taxes and find a state/city that will offer them tax benefits to relocate. Georgia has enticed several big companies to relocate facilities here with tax breaks. This has become big business as states and cities are competing against each other for these companies.

Providing an environment that is not conducive to them maximizing profit is cutting off your nose to spite your face. That is an awful long term strategy.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:43 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Bankrate says that Georgia has the lowest gas tax in the country at 7.5 cents(excluding federal) per gallon. It also says that North Carolina has the highest in the country at 39.15 cents (excluding federal).
Gas Taxes By State (Interactive Map) | Bankrate.com

Could someone please tell me how and why prices in both states are almost the same, with the difference only about 5-7 cents?

I traveled all through North Carolina last week, and the new Sheetz in Louisburg, NC was selling unleaded for $3.59. Here in midtown Atlanta it's still $3.99. Ridiculous.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:12 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times
Quote:
How much do you think "all of this money" these companies are spending on lobbying this cause?
+++ That's my point. It's a drop in the bucket compared to what they should be paying to cover the their fair share of maintaining the roads. If it wasn't they wouldn't be running this campaign to pin the costs on every man, woman and child that just so happens to buy something.

Quote:
One, they would increase the prices of their goods or services. Who pays for this price increase? The consumers (the taxpayers). Regardless of who you tax, the cost of the tax gets transferred to the individual.
+++ This wouldn't necessarily translate to higher commodity prices across the board. A sales tax hits everyone on practically everything. There's no escaping it. Unless of course you're a corporation in GA, then you don't pay any on anything.

Quote:
Two, they could not want to pay the taxes and find a state/city that will offer them tax benefits to relocate. Georgia has enticed several big companies to relocate facilities here with tax breaks. This has become big business as states and cities are competing against each other for these companies.
+++
That's fine by me. Let them tear up the roads in some other state. If they're here to skirt paying their fair share of taxes they are not doing our state any favors and to them I say good riddance.

Quote:
Providing an environment that is not conducive to them maximizing profit is cutting off your nose to spite your face. That is an awful long term strategy.
It's actually a pretty good strategy. It's a strategy that works well in other countries that have phenomenal transit systems and road networks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Could someone please tell me how and why prices in both states are almost the same, with the difference only about 5-7 cents?
The oil companies are not in business to do us a favor. They're charging what the market will bear to pay because they want the most amount of money they can get their grubs on at any cost. And they do so with our government regulators' blessings.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
The oil companies are not in business to do us a favor. They're charging what the market will bear to pay ....
That's the key language.

We're the market.

If we don't want to drive and pay for gasoline, we could move closer to work, take the bus, walk, bike, ride the train, and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta