Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,571 times

Advertisements

Hope all is well with those in the forum.

I am relocating from New York City to Georgia (Preferably the Atlanta area). My sister lives in Powder Springs (which I happen to adore) and she has advised that the "Austell" and "Smyrna" areas are good. Can I have some insight on those areas?

For someone relocating from New York City, what would be good areas for me? I am a single mother of two and I would like a diverse area. Mixture of whites and blacks etc.

I am looking for a 2-3 bedroom apartment between $450-$800. But as close to Powder Springs as I could be. No more than an hour drive away!

Any ideas? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,072 times
Where will you be working? Traffic is a major (I mean MAJOR) consideration here.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Do you want to be urban or suburban?

Old 04-30-2012, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Where will you be working? Traffic is a major (I mean MAJOR) consideration here.
Not sure! I'm quite positive the Atlanta area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Do you want to be urban or suburban?
Doesn't matter.

(Just remember no more than an hour drive from Powder Springs)

Old 04-30-2012, 03:16 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,047,632 times
Quote:
Just remember no more than an hour drive from Powder Springs
Are you sure you're going to be able to pull off a job that fits that requirement?

I'm pretty sure if you work in Atlanta, it's about an hour or more to Powder Springs, or at least, it can be.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:57 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,199 times
Smyrna is a definte option for you but like others have noted, you will want to consider where you are working. One advantage of Smyrna is that it puts you closer to a major highway than you get in Powder Springs.

What age/school are your children in?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,509 times
Hey, the Smyrna/Marietta area would probably work best for you. The rent prices are gonna be towards the top end of your budget or more. Did you bring a car with you from NYC? For one, the gas is less in ATL than in NYC...I miss that...but you will have a commute as the traffic is much worse than riding the Deegan or Cross Bronx..ect. And Marietta in my opinion is a better commute to other areas of the city than Powder Springs. But it all depends on where you live in Marietta.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:58 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,072 times
It's great to be positive, but the Atlanta job market sucks right now. I highly, highly recommend you find a job here before moving, and then move somewhere relatively close to work.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:51 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,736,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1nkV3nom View Post
Hope all is well with those in the forum.

For someone relocating from New York City, what would be good areas for me? I am a single mother of two and I would like a diverse area. Mixture of whites and blacks etc.
If this is truly a priority then I don't suggest Smyrna or Austell. I'd look in town...Decatur, Emory Area, Morningside, Oak Grove. Atlanta is still quite segregated (in many ways more than racially) and if you truly want a nice mixture of ethnicities and races, you *must* stay in town.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:36 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
If this is truly a priority then I don't suggest Smyrna or Austell. I'd look in town...Decatur, Emory Area, Morningside, Oak Grove. Atlanta is still quite segregated (in many ways more than racially) and if you truly want a nice mixture of ethnicities and races, you *must* stay in town.
What? Smyrna is diverse. Smyrna is 60% White and 30% African American which is consistent with Decatur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta