Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 04:01 PM

9 posts, read 7,355 times

Advertisements

Heya,

There's carrot dangling that may lead me to a job in Buckhead, not far from the MARTA station. I'm pretty keen on the work, but I'm not sure if I'm a good fit for Atlanta, and I'd be grateful for your insights as that goes.

I suppose my biggest concerns are:
- I resolutely do not want to buy a car. I commute year-round by bike here in Chicago, take the El when that's not an option, and rent a Zip Car when I really need four wheels.
- I need to take care of my dog - if I can pass a daycare place on my commute, then I don't mind a longer ride, but otherwise, I'd like to live within 15 minutes' ride or from the office, so I can walk her during lunch.
- I need some foliage around me. Atlanta looks like there's a fair bit of green areas and trees, and I like living in quieter, more residential areas with access to the busy stuff when I need it.

I suppose I'd pay a grand a month to rent an apartment that offers that elusive combination of a safe cycling commute with proximity to: the office; dog parks and middle-class 20/30-somethings who probably pay way too much attention to their dogs; hipster joints with good beer selections and piles of bikes locked out front; good restaurants, theatres, museums, etc. I'm flexible on rent and would consider more for a real jackpot, but I'm not rich by any stretch.

Kids, eventual home-ownership and good schools (beyond their presumptive association with good neighborhoods) aren't considerations for me. It's just me and my dog... and some bikes, recording gear and a lot of books.

I've read so many posts and articles that suggest that living in Atlanta's untenable without a car, that it's a fantastic place to get mugged or run over, that there's no escaping the buzz of bassbins as cars drive by, or some combination of these. I'm trying not to sound unrealistic or entitled - it's a city after all - but I'd hate to leave a fairly decent situation in Chicago for nothing more than a different job. Thanks for your time and consideration. Sorry if I'm too vague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 04:27 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
Well it depends.
I think you may have to sacrifice something on that list.
Sure you can do without a car if you live in buckhead but buckhead is NOT a low rent area. The transit system is probably not anywhere near as good as what you have now but it will do the job if you're ok with riding the bus or perhaps you can find an apartment near your workplace so you can walk or ride your bike. There's some really good shopping in buckhead too. The marta train system here stops in buckhead and goes to some nearby residential areas but I'm not sure about the whole 15 minutes thing.

I think the car thing is more for the suburbanites. Atlanta could use more people like you though. Responsible pet owners with no kids who refuse to own a car. Please move here.

Please.

By the way, you'll love the urban forestry in atlanta.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:56 PM

Hey, thanks for your reply. The 15 minutes thing may be wishing for the moon on a stick, I suppose. Perusal of Google Maps suggests that Pine Hills, North Druid Hills or Frankie Allen Park's area could be pretty nice. I've never lived in anything like the big community places with so many amenities that I've seen trawling the web... are they the norm? Should I keep an open mind to them?

I don't know how many opportunities I'd have to check Atlanta out before moving there, and it's unlikely that I'd have my bike with me if I did. So I definitely appreciate having boards like this as a resource.

"Urban forestry:" two words I don't heard uttered together very often, but I could get used to that

Old 05-02-2012, 05:28 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncretism View Post
I suppose my biggest concerns are:
- I resolutely do not want to buy a car. I commute year-round by bike here in Chicago, take the El when that's not an option, and rent a Zip Car when I really need four wheels.
- I need to take care of my dog - if I can pass a daycare place on my commute, then I don't mind a longer ride, but otherwise, I'd like to live within 15 minutes' ride or from the office, so I can walk her during lunch.
Fellow dog lover here. Unfortunately you won't be able to take your pup on the train or on the bus. Some people have dealt with this by finding someone in their neighborhood who will keep pets during the day or who will come to your place and tend to them. I'd try craigs list or some local veterinarians.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:35 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
If you haven't already, you should definitely select the "trainsit" and "bicycling" overlays in google maps ans also check out the status of the beltline project at beltline dot org. That should help you narrow it down for you.

As for the urban forestry, we have at least one non profit group that plants and maintains trees in atlanta and I'm not just talking about the well to do areas.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:20 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
The good news is there are plenty of places that you would be very happy living in Atlanta. The bad news is Buckhead is not one of them. Piedmont Park, Morningside etc is 6.2 miles from your office. Riding straight up Piedmont Road would be an easy commute, I am not sure you can do that in 15 minutes with stop and go traffic. You might want to try the Lindbergh area which will get you a bit closer, near a Marta station and still enjoy Piedmont Park on the weekends.

Atlanta is one if not the most forested (is that a word) metro areas so trees are not a problem - but you wont be able to tell that in Buckhead and Lindbergh area.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Don't worry about foliage. There's plenty.

Atlanta is not very bike friendly although there are more and more cyclists and there's the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition.
Atlanta Bicycle Coalition | Your voice for Better Biking
You'll see a handful of bicycle commuters. But just recently a cyclist was killed.
Friends remember bicyclist killed monday | 11alive.com
So be careful out there.

As was said, it'd be hard to find a 1K apartment in Buckhead. You might have to look in North Atlanta and take a MARTA train in to the Buckhead station. It's ok to take your bike on the MARTA train. A pet would have to be caged though.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
The good news is there are plenty of places that you would be very happy living in Atlanta. The bad news is Buckhead is not one of them.
I guess the question is where in Buckhead he's talking about -- it's something like 30 sq. miles and some parts of it are very leafy and bikable.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:23 PM

Helpful stuff here, all, thank you. I have a bike trailer, and she rides everywhere in it, so a daycare place close to home, work or on the way would give me a lot of leeway on commute times - but I reckon I'd want a cheaper place if she were going to daycare every day. Dog walkers are always an option; it's just that your money goes a lot farther with daycare. I'm fairly flexible, though.

I gather there aren't many of those useful "rail trails" running through the city to make the ride a little safer or more direct? Not getting killed by an oblivious driver is definitely a sine qua non.

If I had a safe and direct route with daycare nearby, then I'd happily do five, six or more miles. An aside: what the heck do you Atlantans do about the heat? I've considered finding a gym near the job if only to have a place to shower (the current employer has a gym).

Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncretism View Post
I gather there aren't many of those useful "rail trails" running through the city to make the ride a little safer or more direct?
Atlanta BeltLine > Home

PATH Foundation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta