Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 07:05 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

3 from metro Atlanta booked in FAMU hazing death; one more pending *| ajc.com

The brutal beating death of DeKalb student Robert Champion continues to reach deeply into Atlanta.

"At least three FAMU students or graduates from metro Atlanta have been arrested on charges that they participated in the hazing death of Robert Champion, a FAMU drum major whose family lives in Decatur. They include two drum majors and a student previously charged in a separate hazing incident."

In a cruel and ironic twist, it appears that Boyce and Turner marched in their band uniforms in a procession at Champion's funeral. Photographs show several young men in the distinctive drum majors' regalia marching ahead of a horse-drawn hearse."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 08:30 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
The whole situation is senseless. I would hate to see the entire program disbanded over it though, which some are calling for.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:32 PM

I would sure not want to send my child into a program that tolerates that sort of brutality.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:49 PM

174 posts, read 411,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The whole situation is senseless. I would hate to see the entire program disbanded over it though, which some are calling for.
IMO, I think the band should be disbanded. They have a history of hazing in that band and people get hurt because of it. In order to truly end the hazing, they need to start over and rebuild. IMO, I wouldnt let the band touch the football field for atleast 4 years. I dont think any parents would send their child to FAMU to participate in the band.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:26 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It should be disbanded & suspended for at least 5 years. An example needs to made that being apart of the band. Is not like being in the marines. Its a band musicians should not die over mistakes.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md911 View Post
IMO, I think the band should be disbanded. They have a history of hazing in that band and people get hurt because of it. In order to truly end the hazing, they need to start over and rebuild. IMO, I wouldnt let the band touch the football field for atleast 4 years. I dont think any parents would send their child to FAMU to participate in the band.
Most definitely the band program needs to be suspend. Atl boaster can keep their kids home at the school they have here.I hope these murdering kids get a lot of time for this stupid killiing. End the FAMU marching program NOW!

Old 05-06-2012, 07:24 PM

Incredible that it has taken them 6 months to get around to arresting the perps. And even though they beat this young man to death, they're only charged with hazing. I imagine Rev. Sharpton will raise Cain when he hears about this.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Incredible that it has taken them 6 months to get around to arresting the perps. And even though they beat this young man to death, they're only charged with hazing. I imagine Rev. Sharpton will raise Cain when he hears about this.
No there is no money in this story. The band needs to be disbanded n send the musicians to other schools if they wanna play.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:15 PM

188 posts, read 297,097 times
Disband the band. There should be zero tolerance for hazing, which is just another word for tyranny, discrimination, and violence confined to a group, gang, or cult.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFox View Post
Disband the band. There should be zero tolerance for hazing, which is just another word for tyranny, discrimination, and violence confined to a group, gang, or cult.
At least until the current members are still in school. The band should die with the student they killed. If they want to transfer they should, but starting with the freshmen class the program should be ended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: