Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 11:24 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times

Advertisements

I'm excited. This project has been a long time in the making- they were moving dirt for the Avenues version of the project when we first moved down here in 2007. While I would have preferred to have the project on the site at the Sixes Road interchange in Holly Springs that was previously slated to get an outlet mall, that site is currently getting the new Cherokee County Aquatics Center built on it, which will spark further development around the site. That interchange is also getting rebuilt/widened as we speak, and should be finished in about a year.

Add in the new Northside Cherokee Hospital project that's hoping to start this year, and Cherokee County will be booming again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 11:39 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
A: Woodstock is closer to Atlanta.

2: Dawsonville serves the 400 corridor, whereas this is far more convenient to people along 75 and 575.

It will draw plenty of people.
Sure it will draw plenty of people, but I think the projections are a little too rosy myself.

And having to solely deal with I-575 in the absence of any viable secondary roads is a nightmare in the making with all this development taking place. I'm glad I'm not in Canton anymore.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Sounds like another big win for the ATL. There's bee so much growth in that area.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:41 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Woodstock is at least 1 hour for Downtown Atlanta, therefore Cherokee county should not be allowed to bank off the name of the city. They don't want to participate in the TIA, but are willing to use the city's name for an outlet mall?

Old 05-06-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Woodstock is at least 1 hour for Downtown Atlanta, therefore Cherokee county should not be allowed to bank off the name of the city.
What in the heck does that have to do with it? Cherokee County is one of the fastest growing, most diverse and prosperous areas in metro Atlanta. It's population is already half that of the city of Atlanta it doesn't show any signs of slowing down.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:07 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Woodstock is at least 1 hour for Downtown Atlanta, therefore Cherokee county should not be allowed to bank off the name of the city. They don't want to participate in the TIA, but are willing to use the city's name for an outlet mall?

cqholt, I usually love your posts, but you are very wrong on this one:

Georgia 92, Woodstock, GA to Atlanta, GA - Google Maps

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ge...ra=ls&t=m&z=10

If Woodstock/Cherokee County are not Metro Atlanta, then we might as well knock off Alpharetta, Kennesaw, Duluth, Snellville, Lithonia, Jonesboro, Fairburn, Douglasville, and Powder Springs.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:30 AM

And don't forget that Cherokee County is close to most of the ATL's biggest employment centers.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:01 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Quote:
therefore cherokee county should not be allowed to bank off the name of the city.
Here's what you do, then.

Call your local legislator. Tell him that you want him to pass a law forbidding anyone outside the city limits from using the name ATLANTA in any of their marketing.

I'm sure the legislature will be all over it!

Old 05-06-2012, 01:10 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,472 times
Quote:
At least an hour? Only during rush hour. We can be downtown in 45 minutes or less aside from traffic issues.

The city and the county did not choose the name. The developer did.

The vote on the referendum hasn't happened yet. How are you so certain that Cherokee will not want to participate?

I understand why they (the developer) used "Atlanta" in the name, but I don't particularly care for it either.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:46 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Here's what you do, then.

Call your local legislator. Tell him that you want him to pass a law forbidding anyone outside the city limits from using the name ATLANTA in any of their marketing.

I'm sure the legislature will be all over it!
If I remember correctly Buckhead did something similar a few years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta