Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 04:10 AM

222 posts, read 752,911 times

Advertisements

In it's best day, the meat was smokey tender, the cole slaw fresh & cold, and the Brunswick Stew w/ cracklin' cornbread was the best in the South!

Harold's Barbeque, An Atlanta Treasure and Tradition - YouTube

It seems the family kids want to fold the business. They don't seem to have the passion for "Q" grandpa did.

They are attempting to make a go of it, but after eating there 40 years, I must say, it's not what it used to be...

Update: Harold’s Barbecue to remain open | Food and More with John Kessler

Anyone>?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 04:50 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
probably the reason they're not doing well is a combination of the current bad economy and the huge population drop over the last 30 years in south atlanta.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
probably the reason they're not doing well is a combination of the current bad economy and the huge population drop over the last 30 years in south atlanta.
It's a few things. Once the GM plant closed, they lost their lunch business. It killed them. : The neighborhood went ghetto, and the old folks quit coming. I remember one night, when bullets were flying in the parking lot.

There was a reason, they had a pump-action shotgun near the register!

Old 05-05-2012, 10:00 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,317,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulver View Post
It's a few things. Once the GM plant closed, they lost their lunch business. It killed them. : The neighborhood went ghetto, and the old folks quit coming. I remember one night, when bullets were flying in the parking lot.

There was a reason, they had a pump-action shotgun near the register!

There was a GM plant in that part? When did it close? I thought GM plant was in Doraville.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:32 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
I've never even heard of it.

Looking at the map, though, seems like if it was good enough it would be able to draw from Grant Park, East Atlanta, Edgewood, etc. It probably would be better for them to find a new location. Just because your location doesn't work anymore doesn't mean you have to close the business, unless you want to.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:17 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
I can't say I'm surprised- I don't know how good the food was in the early days, but it sucks now.

When we moved down here in 2007, all the guys at work kept saying "you've got to go to Harold's- you haven't had BBQ until you've had Harold's". We took a ride down for lunch one day, and the place was empty. I waited anxiously for my plate, expecting the sky to open up and the light of heaven to shine down as I took my first bite. I was sorely disappointed- the meat was dry and flavorless, the cornbread was dry, and the Brunswick stew was the worst I'd ever tasted. Even my lunch partners seemed disappointed, as if it wasn't what they had remembered from past visits.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:48 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
There was a GM plant in that part? When did it close? I thought GM plant was in Doraville.
Atlanta used to have two GM plants -- the one in Doraville (Buick/Pontiac/Oldsmobile) and the Chevrolet plant in Lakewood, near Harold's.

Of course we had the Ford plant in Hapeville, too -- we were quite a manufacturing center in the old days.

Back when downtown was the center of activity, Harold's was a favorite with many politicians and big wheels in the business community. So it wasn't unusual for the lunch crowd to include the governor, bank presidents, judges, the mayor, maybe a Senator, as well as truck drivers and plenty of other ordinary folks.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
IIRC in was summer of 1990. The structure was demolished later. Today it's just a huge wasteland.

Think about it: Atlanta lost two GM plants, and Hapeville Ford plant in a very short time.

And yes, Harold's just isn't the same. The grand kids just don't have the dedication. About a year ago, they got a 47 on a health inspection.
In better days:

Harold's Barbecue - Atlanta, GA

Old 05-06-2012, 04:14 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulver View Post
About a year ago, they got a 47 on a health inspection.
you can count me out, then. i don't eat pork anyway, but barbecue is something you don't want to mess around with, it's incredibly easy to get food poisoning because of the cooking method— low temperature cooking for a long period of time. you've got to make sure you cook it just hot enough, and after you've cooked it, you cannot let it get even lukewarm or it'll be a breeding ground for bacteria. it's a different case than with, say, fried chicken, where it's boiling in hot oil it pretty much eliminates all the bacteria so it doesn't have much of a chance to regrow even if it gets cool.

i had a bad experience with barbecue at a place that had a 77 rating a few years ago; never going to make that mistake again.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
you can count me out, then. i don't eat pork anyway, but barbecue is something you don't want to mess around with, it's incredibly easy to get food poisoning because of the cooking method— low temperature cooking for a long period of time. you've got to make sure you cook it just hot enough, and after you've cooked it, you cannot let it get even lukewarm or it'll be a breeding ground for bacteria. it's a different case than with, say, fried chicken, where it's boiling in hot oil it pretty much eliminates all the bacteria so it doesn't have much of a chance to regrow even if it gets cool.

i had a bad experience with barbecue at a place that had a 77 rating a few years ago; never going to make that mistake again.
In all fairness to Harold's, it was mostly because they had trimmed meat on the floor. It just wasn't something they thought about. End of the day you do the cleaning. Too busy choppin', and slicin' the meat at lunch I guess...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta