Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 AM

9 posts, read 16,454 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of relocating our family to Cumming, Georgia from Ohio. We have 3 small children, ages 8, 7 and 5. We are looking to live in a great neighborhood with a great school system.

Does anyone living in the area have any insight? We will be visiting soon, but would love to have a heads up before we visit. I have heard of gang activity in the Gainesville and Douglasville area and am very worried about that.

Are there a lot of job opportunities? Is there a lot of racisim? What neighborhoods are the best to live in? What schools are the best? What other big cities are nearby?

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
What kind of jobs are you looking for? The market here is pretty bad right now, so unless you've got something lined up already, moving could be a really bad move. You've also got to consider that you might buy in Cumming and end up working on the South side of town, which can make for a rough commute.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:58 AM

I am currently in banking and my husband in maintenance. I have looked for jobs in the Atlanta area also, is that a bad commute? Is the South side of town a bad area?

We are pretty much open to any good areas in Georgia, if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
The commute to downtown/midtown Atlanta can be pretty bad from Cumming if you work "normal' hours. Depending on where in Cumming you'd be starting, you're looking at an easy hour+ each way.

The South side has some nice areas, but there are also plenty of non-so-nice areas. Much of the growth over the past few decades has been to the North. My point about the South side being a rough commute was distance-related.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:30 AM

Thank you for the info about the commute, don't know if we would like that hour or so commute.

Our number one priority is for our kids to be in a good school system and then we will go from there. I have read about Fulton County having a good school system, do you have any suggestions there?

Old 05-08-2012, 11:45 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Fulton (north of Atlatna), Forsyth, Cobb (Parts of ), Cherokee, Gwinnett Counties schools , Buford City schools. are all good to great school systems in the North Metro Area.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:07 PM

Thank you! I will look into the areas around these school districts. Which City would you say has the lowest amount of crime/gang activity?

Old 05-08-2012, 12:23 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
One thing to keep in mind. Georgia, Allot of the area's are outside the city limits of the various cities. In Unincorportied area of counties. School mostly are country based, (Some cities have there own school systems but not many). In the Un-Inc area the county government provides the municipal type services.

But Find jobs should be 1st list of things to do, then start looking for housing. That being said, you can start your seach on the northside of Atlatna, but Job 1st, then find where to live.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:33 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Find a job first. Banking has been particularly hard hit here as has construction. What is drawing you to Georgia?

Old 05-08-2012, 02:22 PM

We are looking for a fresh start and want to move south where we don't have to deal with winters and the area is beautiful.

My husband is in maintenance and is our primary source of income. We have not started looking for jobs yet since we would like to visit first. We are just trying to get a feel of what are the best cities in the area, seeing as we will be visiting soon and maybe moving shortly after.

I am currently looking at Cumming and Buford, GA. Any one have info on the crime in these cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta