Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:39 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
You guys should know by now that anytime someone tries to show an advantage or positive Atlanta has over another city someone is going to try to knock it down on city-data. Atlanta just can't win on this site.
Amen!! Church.. same people all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 08:35 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Seems like this is a river of tears right here....

Been in Dallas 8 years now. I like it. It is a great city and has a lot going for it. However it ain't Atlanta. MY OPINION and I said as much. All your posturing and blithering won't change my perception one bit.
I don't wish to change your perception, Saintmarks. Personally, I like Atlanta better than Dallas, too. I'm just pointing out what I have observed from the Atlantans on this board. Many of you won't let facts get in the way of anything that's pro-Atlanta.

Reverse the situation and let's have an article where an author is stating half-truths in order to build up Dallas and put down Atlanta. Most of you would be crying foul.

I'm holding a mirror up to y'all's face. You should be embarassed at what you see.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I don't wish to change your perception, Saintmarks. Personally, I like Atlanta better than Dallas, too. I'm just pointing out what I have observed from the Atlantans on this board. Many of you won't let facts get in the way of anything that's pro-Atlanta.

Reverse the situation and let's have an article where an author is stating half-truths in order to build up Dallas and put down Atlanta. Most of you would be crying foul.

I'm holding a mirror up to y'all's face. You should be embarassed at what you see.

I'd like to know what forum doesn't do this. How is this exclusivly an Atlanta fourm issue?

Old 05-14-2012, 04:42 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Quote:
You guys should know by now that anytime someone tries to show an advantage or positive Atlanta has over another city someone is going to try to knock it down on city-data. Atlanta just can't win on this site.
Well I think the point is that there are several comments about Dallas in this article that are not researched and just simply false.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:42 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Well I think the point is that there are several comments about Dallas in this article that are not researched and just simply false.
Isn't it just as bogus to make a sweeping statement like this without 1) listing the SEVERAL comments that are simply false and 2) showing your research that proves them false?

In my first post I mentioned the fact that the Cowboys stadium is NOT in Dallas, in fact quite a distance from Dallas in Arlington. The author's comparisons to Atlanta on this front were misleading and I pointed that out.

I suggest you list the SEVERAL statements that are false and make proof to why they are false.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Isn't it just as bogus to make a sweeping statement like this without 1) listing the SEVERAL comments that are simply false and 2) showing your research that proves them false?

In my first post I mentioned the fact that the Cowboys stadium is NOT in Dallas, in fact quite a distance from Dallas in Arlington. The author's comparisons to Atlanta on this front were misleading and I pointed that out.

I suggest you list the SEVERAL statements that are false and make proof to why they are false.
Well like you said. the stadium is in the center of the metroplex rather than in Dallas. Folks in the metroplex don't have to drive to Colorado to do outdoorsy things. There are several very large lakes in close proximity, a great system of bike and jogging paths and Cedar Hill State Park is very hilly for those looking for that type of outdoor recreation. If those hills aren't big enough the moutains in SE Oklahoma or the Palo Pinto area just to the west of DFW is a great outdoors adventure very close by. As for quality of life, crime and schools tend to have better statistics in the Dallas area.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:53 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I take exception to his statement

I still say that not having a large body of water near Atlanta is downside and a tree canopy doesn't make up for that. And if you like tree canopies, it's not easy to take in unless you ascend a tall building, or head for Stone Mountain or Kennesaw Mountain. Not many elevated places. It's a shame that Atlanta wasn't built nearer the Chattahoochee or that they didn't dam the river further downstream for a "Lake Atlanta" to our north. Or they should have built Atlanta's city center closer to Stone Mountain so it could have a backdrop.

Nope, go for a run in Candler Park and then go for a run in Dallas during the month of July, or rather when both are having a 90F day, and tell me you don't appreciate the tree canopy.

Also, if you live in the city, have you ever noticed the natural bird alarm clock that goes off at dawn?

Or, that, even though you live in a dense neighborhood with lots of hills you can't really see anything other than up and down your own street?

A large body of water is fine for recreation and events. We drive down to Navarre Beach once or twice a year and it's nice and all, but it's vacation. A tree canopy makes daily life much nicer.

Personally, having grown up with easy access to water I am very happy to have easy access to the Blue Ridge Mountains, which I prefer over the Rockies because you can do a lot of casual hiking and camping and mountain biking. The 8-mile mountain biking trail at Unicoi is fun for me, my husband, and my 10 year old.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
I'd like to know what forum doesn't do this. How is this exclusivly an Atlanta fourm issue?
Precisely.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:11 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Nope, go for a run in Candler Park and then go for a run in Dallas during the month of July, or rather when both are having a 90F day, and tell me you don't appreciate the tree canopy.
I usually run during cooler times of the day, even in Atlanta.

Quote:
Also, if you live in the city, have you ever noticed the natural bird alarm clock that goes off at dawn?
Atlanta is not unique in this respect.

Quote:
Or, that, even though you live in a dense neighborhood with lots of hills you can't really see anything other than up and down your own street?
Right. Can't see the forest for the trees.

Quote:
A large body of water is fine for recreation and events. We drive down to Navarre Beach once or twice a year and it's nice and all, but it's vacation. A tree canopy makes daily life much nicer.
I just remember driving by the Atlanta waterworks

atlanta ga - Google Maps

That's what we're missing.

This closer to the city would be nice.

atlanta ga - Google Maps

This spot is less than have that distance from the center of Dallas

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=dallas...147.51,,0,2.01

And this is closer still

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=ro...8,,0,3.74&z=14

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 05-15-2012 at 01:33 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 12:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Hm, still haven't gotten that vision checked yet?
Enjoying that "luxuriant foliage" over there in Houston?

I wish Texas and Georgia would stop being compared. They offer different things to different types of people. Nobody is wrong...

Except for when they say Houston looks just like an east coast city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta