Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:10 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times

Advertisements

With the regular questions asked about the traffic in Atlanta, I thought it would be worthwhile to post an article I found online this week that covers the topic of the worst traffic in the U.S.

Here are a couple of blurbs from the article below, followed by a link (as long as it works) to the full article...

"The Los Angeles metro area had the worst congestion, delaying drivers an average of 72 hours a year. It was followed by Atlanta, San Francisco, Washington and Dallas. ..... Atlanta has the second worst congestion in the country, though there has been some improvement, according to the study. In 2005, Atlanta drivers wasted an average of 60 hours a year in traffic delays - down from 70 hours a decade earlier. ..... But the region's population is growing so fast that planners are having a tough time dealing with the increase in automobiles, said Jane Hayse, chief of transportation planning for the Atlanta Regional Commission. ..... "With the pace of growth that we have here, it's pretty difficult to reduce congestion," Hayse said. "Trying to keep it at today's level is really our goal."

The Atlanta metropolitan area added 890,000 people from 2000 to 2006, more than any other metro area in the country, according to census estimates. There were 5.1 million people in the Atlanta area in 2006
."

Full Article: Stuck in Traffic? You're Not Alone - AOL News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 08:18 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
My three suggestions for ways to make Atlanta traffic better are:

1) Give companies an incentive for % of employee time spent from home - I know tons of people who could do just as good a job if they only came into the office 2-3 times a week and worked from home the rest of the time. This alone would greatly reduce the # of cars on any given day.

2) Double Decker the Connector! This would be a crazy project which would totally foul up traffic in the short term and cost tons of money, but just imagine the end result if you could all of a sudden DOUBLE the volume of road space on the connector (which was, by far, the worst planning idea EVER). It is set deep enough in the ground, that I think this would be a feasible project, physically. Have the bottom layer go southbound and the top layer go northbound.

3) Already discussed every 5-10 years, but add a northern loop connecting the new northern office space hubs and suburbs - Suwanee, Alpharetta, East Cobb, Woodstock.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:52 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post

1) Give companies an incentive for % of employee time spent from home - I know tons of people who could do just as good a job if they only came into the office 2-3 times a week and worked from home the rest of the time. This alone would greatly reduce the # of cars on any given day.

2) Double Decker the Connector! This would be a crazy project which would totally foul up traffic in the short term and cost tons of money, but just imagine the end result if you could all of a sudden DOUBLE the volume of road space on the connector (which was, by far, the worst planning idea EVER). It is set deep enough in the ground, that I think this would be a feasible project, physically. Have the bottom layer go southbound and the top layer go northbound.

3) Already discussed every 5-10 years, but add a northern loop connecting the new northern office space hubs and suburbs - Suwanee, Alpharetta, East Cobb, Woodstock.
Do you think it would be better to have the top layer serve as an express route instead? i.e. let it be used by people who are completely bypassing the downtown area, or at least cut down the number of exits on the top layer to only 2 (1 for downtown and 1 for midtown).

Old 09-19-2007, 09:13 AM

I had not really thought about those ideas - just the simple premise of double-decker roadways. I guess that would work, although it might be too complex for the generic car-driver in Atlanta and I could see people flipping out when they get to decision time as to which road to get on (more likely out of towners), or a total traffic snarl at whatever poor location gets the opportunity to be the one or two exits in town (ie, everyone gets off there and tries to take surface roads to their destination).

Either way, I think this option is something that the city will absolutely HAVE TO look at in the next 5-10 years. It's unreal how bad traffic is, especially southbound at the merge starting anytime after 2pm! The current configuration is simply not built to handle how many people are projected to live here in the coming years.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:37 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
At least new employment centers are popping up in the suburbs faster than they are in downtown Atlanta. I assume that should ease congestion ITP, but the 4-lane highways in the outer suburbs (as opposed to what, 12 lanes on the connector?) just can't handle the increased traffic. I think your #3 plan is the best plan, and the most feasible one. Much cheaper to build a regular interstate than a raised freeway!

Old 09-19-2007, 11:01 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Double Decker the Connector! This would be a crazy project which would totally foul up traffic in the short term and cost tons of money, but just imagine the end result if you could all of a sudden DOUBLE the volume of road space on the connector (which was, by far, the worst planning idea EVER). It is set deep enough in the ground, that I think this would be a feasible project, physically. Have the bottom layer go southbound and the top layer go northbound.
spacelord,

I usually agree with you, but in this case--hell no! The Connector runs above street level south of Freedom Parkway. We have to say enough is enough.

Two things need to happen first before we can address traffic issues:
  1. The state gas tax, which is one of the lowest if not the lowest gas taxes in the country, needs to be significantly raised. We're not a small town in a podunk state anymore--it's time to start playing with the big boys.
  2. The state legislature and the governor need to repeal the provision in the state constitution that permits the gas tax to be used only for the building and maintenance of roads and bridges. This has been the achilles heel in public transport funding in Georgia and will continue to be should the state continue to fail in comprehending why they should invest in the infrastructure of their state's primary economic generator.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:07 PM

I 100% agree that it would not be great adding a layer to the connector, but unfortunately I do not know what other options would ease that corridor. Let me step back by saying that for the past 5-7 years I was able to position my residence in a manner that allowed me to never see the connector during rush hour. Now that I recently moved, I commute into Midtown from Dunwoody, so have to take 400. All I can say is it is mind-blowing to see the other side of the freeway as I head north....it is a parking lot every day! Northbound can be bad, but I was able to swing a 7:30-3:30 workday with my work, so I generally avoid it.

To be honest, I think the connector was just a flawed concept to begin with, so now what? I mean, theoretically the gas taxes you mention might dissuade drivers from driving (which I think was your remedy), but the infrastructure is just flawed and I can't see it having that big of an impact. What would be more effective, might be the idea of compensating companies for % of workers doing work from home programs. Just think if 1/4 of all "office job" Atlanta area employees were given the option to work from home just 2 days a week.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:13 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,553 times
Quote:

or at least change the speed limit on that stretch of 92 from 45 to 55

Old 09-19-2007, 12:40 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Now that I recently moved, I commute into Midtown from Dunwoody, so have to take 400.
No, you don't. You could ride Marta.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:56 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
I mean, theoretically the gas taxes you mention might dissuade drivers from driving (which I think was your remedy), but the infrastructure is just flawed and I can't see it having that big of an impact. What would be more effective, might be the idea of compensating companies for % of workers doing work from home programs. Just think if 1/4 of all "office job" Atlanta area employees were given the option to work from home just 2 days a week.
My suggestion of increased gas taxes wasn't to dissuage drivers, but rather for additional tax revenue to be used for other forms of transportation, such as commuter rail, BRT, expanded MARTA, etc. Also, for building more roads and enhancing existing ones. After a while, you can only do so much in regards to widening the Connector and area freeways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta