Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 09:01 PM

371 posts, read 1,555,494 times

Advertisements

I drove a few miles today and have to say the road surfaces here are absolute rubbish, driving at high speed is asking for an accident, I went to the airport this evening to pick up a work colleague, down the '85 at 55mph, everyone else doing about 80mph, I caught them all up at every little delay then off the went again, driving all over the road bouncing off road imperfections and surface banding, mad as a box of frogs these american drivers.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:15 PM

180 posts, read 267,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishintown View Post
I drove a few miles today and have to say the road surfaces here are absolute rubbish, driving at high speed is asking for an accident, I went to the airport this evening to pick up a work colleague, down the '85 at 55mph, everyone else doing about 80mph, I caught them all up at every little delay then off the went again, driving all over the road bouncing off road imperfections and surface banding, mad as a box of frogs these american drivers.
We can tell that your little scenario is "absolute rubbish"...anyone who has experienced Atlanta traffic knows that there is no possible way to speed up to 80 mph between every little delay. It's amazing that you were the only sane and competent driver out of the hundreds around you...it must be the superior European training. I would like to apologize for our erratic American driving, our inferior road construction and maintenance, and our mad frogs.

Why in the world were you DRIVING to the airport when MARTA has a station inside the terminal? That doesn't make much sense, especially considering all of the drawbacks facing you on I-85...

Old 09-22-2007, 10:50 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Tell ya what... anyone who thinks the speed limit laws are dumb.. quote the EXACT same things just said above, the next time you're standing in front of a judge for speeding. See what happens.
actually... when I was negotiating with the prosecutor, I said 'come on, it's 285'

Old 09-22-2007, 11:25 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Default why pay anything ? exersize your constitutional rights!

derekgreer17 here in calif. on the bottom of all tickets there are many numbers , one happens to c.p.c. 853.9 .that is california penal code 853.9 i. if you have a computer than look it up for yourself it states >>> you have the right to a Verified Complaint , this you demand at your arrignment. and if you do not get this Verified Complaint the court can not move forward with their action against you. Meaning that the complaint has to come from the injured person , so i ask ,HOW was the officer injured ? The answer is that his was not injured ,therefore there is no injured person , no injured person ,no crime and your free to go, case dismissed! now you need to look at the bottom of your ticket and get back to me with the numbers or find out what they mean,be knowlagable, know your rights. ok Just to let you know here in southern California we have 16 yr. old kids that drive with no drivers license , past the very cops that stoped them the first time . there is nothing they can do with the right knowlage of your rights > Bet you think that you need a drivers license too! well your wrong about that if you think that way . don't get p#@$** I HAVE THE PROOF AND THE COURT RESULTS TO PROVE IT . IF YOUR INTERESTED GET BACK WITH A POSTING I'AM HERE.

Last edited by Fighter 1; 09-22-2007 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 09-22-2007, 11:33 PM

91 posts, read 477,038 times
GA roads are as smooth as a baby's bottom. Drive in the North East. It's night and day. No snow (salt) to destroy your asphalt every winter.
I know it's the ( i suppose) correct English, but WTF did you just say? Mad frogs, Bandings.....? Never can tell what the heck ye British folk are really saying.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:33 AM

180 posts, read 267,819 times
And they drive on the wrong side of the road too!!

Old 09-23-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
We can tell that your little scenario is "absolute rubbish"...anyone who has experienced Atlanta traffic knows that there is no possible way to speed up to 80 mph between every little delay.
On a saturday, I bet you never watch myth busters.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:09 AM

276 posts, read 1,127,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
This is right on the money.

107 in a 55? You should get jail time for that.
I can barely justify going with the flow of traffic here in FL on 75 and doing 75 which is posted. I cant even imagine doing 107mph AT ALL. I am a good driver and I am more worried about the safety of the kids etc in my car and others than the drivers. They are suppose to be in control kids and pedestrians are surely not. I am all for higher fines for speeding in excess. I see no reason for a rational person in a motor vehicle to go more than 50 miles over the speedlimit. NO REASON.....Unless you have a death wish...Thank fully. I have never been a party to any high speed chases or been around when someone is foolish enough to be going that fast ....I keep hearing how crazy the drivers are in GA. Being from Boston and living in FL(moving to GA next week) I think I can handle it. I think the drivers here in FL are the worse I have EVER dealt with . I learned how to drive in Boston and Upstate NY on the thruway and I would driver there again in a heartbeat and cant wait to get off the roads here in FL. I also do not anticipate having to drive in ATL ...If that is the case I will have my husband drive..He is an OTR trucker and is a very safe driver and has a spotless driving record and takes all vechicles and laws of the road very serrioulsy so I will let hm drive to ATL if needbe..Just my thoughts...Have a great day...Lisa

Old 09-23-2007, 09:33 AM

It seems to be a human condition, we have it in the UK as well, I have suffered from it in the past, this need to get everywhere as quickly as possible and this foolish belief that in a car we are indestructible. Generally traveling well above the limit does not get you there sooner or at least not much sooner and the extra stress of driving at speed on a busy road is certainly not worth it, to my mind on an empty road, someone can do what they want as long as it is not a danger to others, I have no issue with that, but speed mixed with traffic is inconsiderate at best and at worst??????

To respond to a previous comment, yes we do have higher driving standards in Europe in general but we are still not indestructible and speed still causes accidents.

I accept your apology for the erratic driving of yourself and your peers Mrs. Garrison.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:47 AM

242 posts, read 841,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishintown View Post
Here here!!! my husband complains about the British road tax but we have fantastic roads compared to what i have seen in GA, FL,NY,MA,CA.
And his parents commented on the fact that they never saw one accident in the 3 weeks they were in the UK. Whether its the better road surface, the higher speed limit (70mph) allowance or the fact we don't have as many police patrol so that people are watching out for police and not the road ahead (and slowing down abruptly due to police presence) or that we have to go through rigorous driving school....... i dont know but I am scared of driving over there and I learnt to drive in London which is not the safest over here.

Last edited by mxd.Brit; 09-23-2007 at 11:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta