Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:07 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,936,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
That's a little inaccurate.

Some of the close-in counties (Cobb and Gwinnett for sure) are 700,000 people and almost completely suburban. There are some small incorporated areas (the towns you mention), but they don't really have defined development boundaries that you can see because 80% of the development is in unincorporated areas and it all runs together.

That said, it isn't the city. But it isn't farmland, either.
I think you read too far between the lines on that one. When I said that, I didn't mean every bit of development OTP is comprised of small towns. Honestly, why would I ever think that being a resident of Gwinnett County myself? Most of this county is seemingly endless suburban sprawl.

I found it interesting to see the stages/ages of development driving between where I live (Norcross) and Braselton/Hoschton on the Braselton Highway & Old Peachtree. (on those days you're not in a rush, the back roads can be a nice change from the freeway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal93 View Post
Ansley park, the prado, Sherwood forest are very beautiful and in the heart of the city.
Historically, Atlanta was situated more sw from where it is now. West End, Cascade/Adams Park,Adair Park all have great architecture, parks, and history (and share the same architects/ planners of many ofthe 'hoods in the ne area-- there was basicaly a migration up I85).

A Beltline tour may be just the thing to introduce you to new places to explore!
I have heard about West End. I'm just not so sure about how safe that area of town is. Isn't that off Whitehall? (I may have actually stumbled upon it and not realized it..but I never saw a core of that neighborhood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Within the city limits of Decatur is Oakhurst Village, definitely worth a visit (particularly during its annual wine crawl). Going east on Ponce towards Decatur, veer right onto East Lake Drive; it will take you straight there.
I have definitely driven past Oakhust, but didn't turn onto East Lake Drive to see the actual core of the neighborhood. I'll have to check it out next time I drive down that way!

To everyone, I very much appreciate the responses. I definitely have a lot more ground to cover it seems!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 02:32 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,836,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I have heard about West End. I'm just not so sure about how safe that area of town is. Isn't that off Whitehall? (I may have actually stumbled upon it and not realized it..but I never saw a core of that neighborhood)
the main section of west end is on ralph david abernathy west of "west whitehall street" (i had always thought it was lee street there but apparently not).

west end is okay, but there are some neighbourhoods around there that aren't so great.

when you were discussing looking at neighbourhoods, i figured you meant completely restored neighbourhoods. there are a *ton* of neighbourhoods that are coming up that have a long way to go, filled with historic homes and whatnot, if you're interested.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:27 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,936,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the main section of west end is on ralph david abernathy west of "west whitehall street" (i had always thought it was lee street there but apparently not).

west end is okay, but there are some neighbourhoods around there that aren't so great.

when you were discussing looking at neighbourhoods, i figured you meant completely restored neighbourhoods. there are a *ton* of neighbourhoods that are coming up that have a long way to go, filled with historic homes and whatnot, if you're interested.
I would be interested to at least know about them (even the ones that aren't completely restored). There are so many of these little neighborhoods around Atlanta that are overflowing with character (and lots of history too, I'm guessing).
Not sure if I mentioned this before, but the neighborhoods around Atlanta are what make me LOVE this city. It is the opposite of all the urban sprawl and uncontrolled growth in the burbs.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:44 AM

12 posts, read 16,765 times
Brookhaven, Vinings

Old 05-21-2012, 02:22 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,753,815 times
Washington park.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:06 PM

4,822 posts, read 6,060,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I would be interested to at least know about them (even the ones that aren't completely restored). There are so many of these little neighborhoods around Atlanta that are overflowing with character (and lots of history too, I'm guessing).
Not sure if I mentioned this before, but the neighborhoods around Atlanta are what make me LOVE this city. It is the opposite of all the urban sprawl and uncontrolled growth in the burbs.
What I like how diverse the vibe is some neighborhoods are leafy other have urban or industral grit, some with a cottage village vibe and then it's those with expressive houses whether Victorian, American Craftsman, Italianate and etc. Every neighborhood have there own identity.

national register of historic places

Ansley Park
Atkins Park
Cabbagetown
Candler Park
Druid Hills
Grant Park
Inman Park
Reynoldstown
Sweet Auburn
Virginia-Highland
Fairlie-Poplar
Castleberry Hill
Five Points
Hotel Row Historic District
Midtown Historic District
Fox Theatre Historic District
Techwood Homes Historic District
Adair Park Historic District
Lakewood Heights
Collier Heights
Atlanta University Center District
Pittsburgh
West End
Mozley Park
Washington Park
Oakland City Historic District
Berkeley Park Historic District
Howell Station Historic District
Brookwood Hills
Historic Brookhaven
Garden Hills
Peachtree Park
Tuxedo Park
Pittsburgh Historic District
Peachtree Highlands Historic District
Reynoldstown Historic District
Whittier Mill Village
Moreland Historic District
and etc

Old 05-22-2012, 11:12 AM

738 posts, read 1,373,843 times
There's a pretty good overview of neighborhoods here: Creative Loafing Atlanta | Neighborhood Guide

Some of the articles are a couple of years out of date, but they will give you a general idea.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:43 PM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
By the way, I wanted to compliment Kirkwood for putting on a really nice festival this past weekend. It's easy to see why that area has become so popular.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:54 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,753,815 times
Thank you arjay, we worked hard. It was very family friendly, lots of good artist, local beer, and good food.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:09 PM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Thank you arjay, we worked hard. It was very family friendly, lots of good artist, local beer, and good food.
Superb work, cq. Everything was spot on.

Anytime I walk into a park and hear the band break into In Memory of Elizabeth Reed I know I'm going to have a good time.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta