Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 03:54 PM

13 posts, read 26,964 times

Advertisements

Our family of 4 will be moving to Inman Park in July. Our two school aged boys (6 & 12) will be attending Mary Lin Elementary & Inman Middle. Do kids in that area do sports through park & rec, Fulton County, some private club??? I want them to be in SOME form of activities but just dont know where to start.

My 12 year old is 5'7" and very thin, awkward, "knock kneed". The Dr. said he should be at least 6'5". He just wants to play chess & video games but I think he needs to do something that raises his heart rate just a tad.

My little one, 6 years is the energizer bunny and can play play play until he collapses each day. I think that he would do well in soccer or really anything. He actually is really good a frisbee... crazy I know.

We are a very "Environmentally Friendly" type family that likes to be outside, gardening, kayaking, bike riding, hiking, etc.

Any website or advise would be great. I was going to volunteer with the PTA at Lin Elementary & Inman Middle to get to know people because I will not be working outside the home. Know body likes being the new kid, me included!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 07:25 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,394 times
Inman Park has a private swimming pool with a kids swim team. Perhaps your older son could get inspired by Michael Phelps during this summer's olympics!

Inman Park Pool - Belugas Swim Team

I suppose you'll miss this summer season if you're not moving until July, but you could let him "test the waters." Swimming is less confrontational than other sports so it might appeal to him more than soccer, football, etc. Being really tall and skinny would almost certainly make it intimidating to stand around in swim trunks, but considering that there are a lot of very tall, skinny elite swimmers might make it more palatable.

Welcome to the city. You'll love Inman Park! It's a great neighborhood.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:27 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,394 times
FYI, another really good sport that your older son might look into is golf. There are plenty of tall, skinny, AWESOME golfers (check out Bubba Watson). There are a number of golf courses around. Candler Park has a public 9-hole course. Charlie Yates is a wonderful course right next to East Lake Golf Club (home of the PGA Tour Championship each fall). Of course if you want to join a country club, you'd be really close to Druid Hills.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:48 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly7071 View Post
Our family of 4 will be moving to Inman Park in July. Our two school aged boys (6 & 12) will be attending Mary Lin Elementary & Inman Middle. Do kids in that area do sports through park & rec, Fulton County, some private club??? I want them to be in SOME form of activities but just dont know where to start.

My 12 year old is 5'7" and very thin, awkward, "knock kneed". The Dr. said he should be at least 6'5". He just wants to play chess & video games but I think he needs to do something that raises his heart rate just a tad.
How about lacrosse or cross country? There are strong programs in both at Inman.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:45 AM

13 posts, read 26,964 times
Thanks to everyone! Just nervous about someplace new. I will check out all of these!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta