Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 01:32 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times

Advertisements

Back when I graduated college, there were a few companies left that had executive training programs. They didn't necessarily care what kids majored in, they were just looking for bright personable people with ambition who they could teach their business to who would learn and succeed.

I don't know if its the down economy or sign of the times, but companies nowadays seem to be interested in specific skills and experiences.

If you knew a really smart and ambitious graduate with no specific skillset, but could rapidly learn anything and had a natural curiosity and drive to succceed, where would you send that person? Maybe he has a degree in history or sociology, but a high GPA and the drive and ability to be trained.

Is there anybody left interested in candidates like that? It seems like most "training" programs now are churn and burn programs designed to get a few months of work out of these kids, then send them on their way or place them in dead-end positions where they eventually leave on their own.

There must be some companies left that still train and nurture raw talent. What are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 01:46 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
I was under the impression that universities were doing the "Executive MBA" stuff.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:51 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
That would be applicable as well, since even an "executive MBA" is a generalist degree and you don't finish with any clearly defined hard skills.

I have found that most people who get MBAs end up returning to whatever company they started at and try to use the MBA to move ahead (sometimes successfully, sometimes not).

So where would you send a kid who graduated college, then got an MBA right afterward and still doesn't have a portfolio of hard accomplishments outside of academia? Same question.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:31 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,348,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
That would be applicable as well, since even an "executive MBA" is a generalist degree and you don't finish with any clearly defined hard skills.

I have found that most people who get MBAs end up returning to whatever company they started at and try to use the MBA to move ahead (sometimes successfully, sometimes not).

So where would you send a kid who graduated college, then got an MBA right afterward and still doesn't have a portfolio of hard accomplishments outside of academia? Same question.
Generally those programs are designed for MBA grads these days. Companies like GE/BOA/AT&T/J&J/P&G et al have leadership development programs (just google LDP and the company name). They hire heavily on-campus from good MBA programs. People that go to fulltime MBA programs rarely go back to their original companies(unless the company sponsored the MBA) since climbing the ladder in a linear fashion can be quite rough in today's flattened organizations where a single manager can have 50-100 direct reports. Home Depot has kind of a rotational program as well (AMP) but they offer a very low level salary (I made more my 1st yr out of undergrad). I have seen a fair number of PT MBAs continue to work for the same companies but they're generally older to begin w/ and less willing to rock the boat.

The alternative is if the person has outstanding test scores/grades...they can take a look at consulting. A lot of them look for IQ vs. experience since you can train someone to do a lot of things vs. having them pre-trained and having an outstanding resume is helpful when pitching a particular project. You spend a few years as an analyst and then they pay for your MBA. That said, they generally also recruit from on-campus primarily where they can group the hiring class for trainings. If you're out of school already, it can be a bit rough to find the right place to submit to though.

I'm surprised this person got an MBA right after undergrad. Most good programs require at least a whiff of experience before enrollment or such high stats they'd be on a fast track for management anyway. If the kid is fresh out of school w/o a direction or plan, there's little chance companies will gamble by putting them in an LDP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: