Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:48 AM

34 posts, read 66,488 times

Advertisements

Source Article

Quote:
The rumor mill's been in overdrive over the weekend with whispers that Walmart, the killer of dreams and kittens, plans another intown Atlanta store in addition to the Vine City location that's currently under construction.

The word: the retail behemoth has under contract, or has possibly purchased, the old LaFarge concrete facility along the Atlanta Beltline on Glenwood Avenue. (Fans of the 22-mile loop of parks, trails, and transit take note: this parcel's different from the Lafarge plant that's still in use and considered the biggest obstacle preventing Beltline officials from securing the project's southeast rail segment.)

Apparently, a source tells us, the property is zoned to handle such a development. But since the land is in the Beltline overlay, Walmart would most likely be required to build something new urbanism-y.

Atlanta City Councilwoman Carla Smith, who says she's heard the rumors, checked at City Hall to see if any permit applications have been filed and, as of Friday, none had. We've reached out to several Walmart contacts and a developer whose name has been connected to the project and will update if we hear word.

If true, be prepared for a very interesting series of debates, negotiations, and people waving pitchforks.
This can't be good, can it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 02:26 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Why wouldn't it be good?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:28 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Intowners need cheap detergent and deodorant too, don't they?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:34 PM

34 posts, read 66,488 times
I keep having a feeling that it would overwhelm the surrounding community's streets with traffic. I guess there are ways that they can contribute to the beltline if the city were to ask Wal-Mart for beltline fundage in order to build one there. I'd rather have Trader Joes or Publix, with some room for a couple small businesses too.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:51 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imb951 View Post
I keep having a feeling that it would overwhelm the surrounding community's streets with traffic. I guess there are ways that they can contribute to the beltline if the city were to ask Wal-Mart for beltline fundage in order to build one there. I'd rather have Trader Joes or Publix, with some room for a couple small businesses too.

It'd get real ugly real fast. There isn't very good traffic access to that site. You'd see backups not just on Glenwood, but on Memorial, Moreland (both of which already get pretty backed up at times) and the Glenwood-Memorial Connector.

There have been rumors of a Publix opening in that area, too, but that was on Memorial. I don't know if there's any merit to either of those rumors.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:08 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
What if they had a backdoor so all the mass transit users could ride the awesome beltline street trolley to it?

In all seriousness, the traffic is a valid concern. But they were able to open the 2 story Target, Publix, and Dick's (Galyans at the time) on the corner of Peachtree and Wieuca without adding too much to the already congested area.

Maybe if Wal-Mart is smart they can make it easy to get in and out of. It would be in their best interest to do so. If the local leadership is good, they will insist upon it.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 PM

284 posts, read 590,368 times
Every time I go to Target in E ATL or anywhere near the parking lot of the Wal-Mart on Howell Mill I am amazed at how busy these "much-maligned" stores are, not with the stereotypical lower-income residents using up their EBT check, but with yuppies/hipsters/you name it. I don't know if easy access to transit would help with traffic when people are used to cramming their SUVs full, rather than getting a couple bagfuls that can be easily carried on the bus/train/etc.

There is a Wal-Mart "brand" store that I have seen in smaller towns outside of GA--can't recall the name, Wal-Mart Market? They are smaller in scale, dark green, and tend to emphasize groceries over all the random stuff. It seems like those would be a better fit for traditional intown neighborhoods rather than the behemoth warehouses we usually see around here. Not sure if Target has anything along those lines.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:42 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
Interesting related article on Target Target's City Ambitions - Businessweek

Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,514 times
I haven't been to a Walmart in years and I am so happy about it! All I hear from coworkers or friends when they talk about the place is not being able to find this, no one will help them, the lines are so long and it takes me so long to get out of there. I go to my nice little Target on Peachtree and Roxboro and I'm in and out with out ever waiting in a line!

Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times
Oh dear God no...

This is a terrible idea and I'm not one of those anti-Wal Mart loons. Glenwood is nowhere near big enough to accommodate that sort of traffic and I doubt the yupsters living in GP(Glenwood Park and Grant Park) would have it. I sure as hell wouldn't as it totally does not fit in with the overall design of the place. Besides, there already is one Wal Mart not 3 or 4 miles away on Gresham Road and it's a breeze to get to via Flat Shoals. Not to mention the other WM just a couple miles farther away down Memorial. That's just not the sort of development intown needs. It needs smaller scale, walkable areas(just like I thought Glenwood Park was going for but...) that can be interconnected(possibly by the Magical Trolley Beltline). Please don't totally destroy my old hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta