Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:26 PM

58 posts, read 248,928 times

Advertisements

i had my second bad experience in the 2 years i've lived here w/ the dds in cumming. first time i waited 3 hours to get my ga license after watching people who came in after me get served first. so yesterday i went to get my kids ga id's for travelling purposes and i was not about the have that experience again.

we got our numbers, e707 and e708 and sat down and waited and waited. all this time they are calling numbers beginning w/ a, b, c and d. one e was called in the first hour we waited. so i went to the lady at the desk and asked what is up. she went and talked to someone and they called another e. after another half an hour i went up to her again and she showed me her computer screen and told me they call the letters which they have the most of first, which were the a's, b's, c's and d's. because there were only 4 e's we were on the bottom of this list. i said that is crazy because people who came in after me are getting served before me just because of the type of license issue they have? she said yes, that is not right and pointed me to her supervisor. i went and spoke to him, told him exactly what the lady just told me and he said i misunderstood her. nice. then he said they call people in the order in which they came in. if this is the case, which it has not been in my 2 times there, then why do they assign letters?? i understand for some things you can make appointments but something is not right w/ this system. if you have an answer, great, if not, thanks for letting vent a little!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 12:44 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
I've had great experience at the DDS by Turner field.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:52 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,391,239 times
When I went to the DDS in South Fulton, the different letters were for different types of services- A for titles, B for registrations, etc.-and there were different numbers of windows open for each type of service. If wouldn't be unusual then for a bunch of "B"'s to get called before an "E", for example, if the "E" service was something that took longer to process than a "B" service. If they had all windows doing all services, there would be no reason to have letters in addition to numbers, so something isn't making sense in your rant.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:21 PM

528 posts, read 1,284,685 times
My husband and I both went to the DDS two weeks ago on the same day at different times. We both had to get drivers licenses and both had the same proof of id/address etc. This was the one in Norcross. I went at 10:10am and was out by 10:25. I even said to the lady I was surprised how quickly it went! I told my husband this will be no problem for you! He went at 2pm. It took him until 5:30 to get out of there. He was so mad. He said the same thing as you that no one was calling the letter e at all and then one would get called every half an hour. He complained a bunch of times too and they told him they take turns on which letters they do. I'm glad we won't have to go back there for a very long time. Now the office we went to to get our tags on Sharon Road in Forsyth County and there was no one in there ever and it took ten minutes total for both of us to get our tags.

PS I didn't realize it was you when I was answering this!!

PPS I tried to go to the one in Cumming but it wouldn't find the address on my GPS. Good thing I didn't!

Last edited by livinginbuffalo; 06-14-2012 at 02:25 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 01:32 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,713,506 times
No trouble on Tues when my gf went to switch her license at the Conyers location. It took about 20-30 minutes. I know, Conyers is the HQ so that may explain as well.

I'll see next year when I renew. First experience with the DDS in 2005 was terrible. I was there from 9am to 3pm to get my license. When I renewed in 2008, it took all of 15 minutes.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:33 PM

All the windows were servicing all letters. In my 2 hours there i was able to see that. So i think it is true that they give more attention to the letters that they have more of. None of the letters went any faster than the others. I was not theonly one complaining. Im going to email the dds about this. I dont think it will change anything but i will feel better!

Buffalo, im glad u had a great experience! tell hubby i feel his pain!

Old 06-14-2012, 02:49 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,939 times
I won't have to visit another DDS office until 2019!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:18 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
If I'm not mistaken, I think I read somewhere one time that Tuesdays are the best days to go.

I'm so thankful that drivers licenses last 8 years now and that you can renew once by mail if you don't move.

What I think is funny about that is theoretically, a 32 year old could be driving around with a picture taken when the driver was 16.

I think one time I went to the great big place in Hapeville and had good luck. Also in Sandy Springs I remember they were good. In Cobb county, they were the absolute pits.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:50 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,878,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoveornot View Post
i had my second bad experience in the 2 years i've lived here w/ the dds in cumming. first time i waited 3 hours to get my ga license after watching people who came in after me get served first. so yesterday i went to get my kids ga id's for travelling purposes and i was not about the have that experience again.

we got our numbers, e707 and e708 and sat down and waited and waited. all this time they are calling numbers beginning w/ a, b, c and d. one e was called in the first hour we waited. so i went to the lady at the desk and asked what is up. she went and talked to someone and they called another e. after another half an hour i went up to her again and she showed me her computer screen and told me they call the letters which they have the most of first, which were the a's, b's, c's and d's. because there were only 4 e's we were on the bottom of this list. i said that is crazy because people who came in after me are getting served before me just because of the type of license issue they have? she said yes, that is not right and pointed me to her supervisor. i went and spoke to him, told him exactly what the lady just told me and he said i misunderstood her. nice. then he said they call people in the order in which they came in. if this is the case, which it has not been in my 2 times there, then why do they assign letters?? i understand for some things you can make appointments but something is not right w/ this system. if you have an answer, great, if not, thanks for letting vent a little!

go to the DMV in sandy springs— it's on highway 9 in a shopping center. the DMV in cumming is notoriously bad with rude employees, every experience i've ever had is bad there. on the other hand, the one in sandy springs is always quick and easy to get through and the employees have always been nice to me. never go back to the one in cumming again... i haven't.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:04 PM

i guess i thought you had to go to one in the county you live in. now i know better for when the kids get their licenses. thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta