Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 05:28 PM

63 posts, read 76,056 times

Advertisements

8 Cities with Surprising Job Growth - Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 02:54 AM

893 posts, read 1,318,049 times
Awesome!

Old 06-14-2012, 12:31 PM

906 posts, read 1,739,404 times
I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more reaction on this forum. Atlanta has seemed to have much more in-migration than many other metros around the country.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:42 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,695,198 times
Great press for those that say "Atlanta is dead".

Old 06-14-2012, 01:22 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,982,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more reaction on this forum. Atlanta has seemed to have much more in-migration than many other metros around the country.
Only negative post receive attention on here. If the post would have been "atl job growth looking bad" this thread would be at 12 pages by now

Old 06-14-2012, 01:32 PM

97 posts, read 182,382 times
I am very interested in what people who live in ATL have to say about the area. I am considering re-locating in the near future. I am married, have grown children so schools are not an issue. We are in our late 40's and seeking a friendly, quiet neighborhood in a nice suburb. I am finishing up a BS in Community Health and Human Services w/con in Health Care Admin, my husband has 30 years experience in all phases of residential/commercial construction but would prefer to work in commercial. We will likely rent for a while, preferably a nice 3 b/2 b home, not an apt. Would like to find work within a 30 mi radius of our home. Also seeking a safe, low-crime area. Appreciate any responses. Thank you.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:24 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmover View Post
I am very interested in what people who live in ATL have to say about the area. I am considering re-locating in the near future. I am married, have grown children so schools are not an issue. We are in our late 40's and seeking a friendly, quiet neighborhood in a nice suburb. I am finishing up a BS in Community Health and Human Services w/con in Health Care Admin, my husband has 30 years experience in all phases of residential/commercial construction but would prefer to work in commercial. We will likely rent for a while, preferably a nice 3 b/2 b home, not an apt. Would like to find work within a 30 mi radius of our home. Also seeking a safe, low-crime area. Appreciate any responses. Thank you.
You're looking at two fields with pretty poor outlooks overall.

Construction is dead here- both residential and commercial, and unlike some areas of the country, commercial contractors here cover huge geographical areas. Unless your husband is willing to spend months/years living at a jobsite in Alabama, Mississippi or Florida (even though he's working for an Atlanta-based contractor), he's not going to have much luck finding work, and even with that caveat, positions are still few and far between. His chances of ever working within 30 miles of the house are pretty slim unless he's in an office-based position.

Georgia (and the South in general) isn't known for having vast social services programs, and those positions that do exist aren't usually high paying positions. If you're spending the time and money on a degree and you want to get paid for that effort, this probably isn't the place to do it. If you're doing it for the love of the field, you'll still have a hard time finding a spot, but the poor pay may not bother you as much.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:03 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,415,528 times
Yes, Bob's post about your job sector is accurate. There is some job growth here, but it largely depends on your field. Real estate, construction and areas related to it are still hurting quite a bit. I don't know much about social services, but you will find some other job threads here that say the same thing.

If you want to work in government sector, try the federal government, not positions with the state or with the counties, as they all have budget problems all over Georgia, not just Atlanta specifically.

If one of you can secure a job before moving, then try, otherwise, I would switch fields if you really want to be in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta