U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:40 AM

1,105 posts, read 3,892,535 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a new Centex development called Danbury Parc. Centex is advertising that it is located in Dunwoody. However, the zip (30319) is for Brookhaven I think. The development is located next to Blackburn Park, 2.5 miles south of Perimeter Mall. What would you say this area is? In terms of resale value/appreciation, how does a Dunwoody zip compare vs 30319?

Also, any general thoughts on this area? A developer bought a bunch of the land and is turning it into a mixed-use development called Johnson Ferry East (supposed to have a bunch of senior luxury apts, townhomes, homes, retail).

We seem to think the area has great potential, and we really like that it has easy access to 400/285/85/141 (our jobs are in Alpharetta and Peachtree Corners). But are there any negatives we should know about this area? We plan on staying 5-7 years and want to consider all angles.

I appreciate any insight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 09:46 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,762,285 times
It is probably in the new city of Sandy Springs, if it is in Fulton County. If it is in Dekalb, it would just be unincorporated Dekalb county. Dunwoody is not actually a city.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:55 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,233,816 times
I do not think that is really considered Dunwoody, if you go by the proposed city limits per the group that is pushing for cityhood. Really, though, I would say it is better than Dunwoody. I grew up and currently live in D-wood, and knowing that Brookhaven area, I would probably rather live there. Only possible concerns might be schools (not sure exactly how they are there) but I think it's strategically placed, and living in a mixed use development would be pretty cool. The good thing about there is you have quick access to both Perimeter and Lenox areas, and I know that they are really redeveloping that whole Brookhaven area also. Plus a Jocks and Jills, which is my favorite sports bar! Sounds like a winner to me!

Old 09-25-2007, 11:07 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,430,293 times
I know exactly where this is...kind of a hybrid Pill Hill/Chamblee/Brookhaven. I think you're right that it has a lot of potential and is probably a worthwhile investment. Still, 'a lot of potential' in Atlanta means you'll have to deal with the transition and that particular area can be a bit sketchy. I think they're cleaning up the scrappy strip center across from the Kroger. I'd drive around there at dusk and night and see how you feel. But it's definitely convenient to all...that's for sure.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:11 AM

697 posts, read 2,852,356 times
Most people probably wouldn't consider it Dunwoody, but then it's not really anything else either -- it's not Brookhaven, it's not Chamblee, it's not Ashford Park, it's not Sandy Springs, etc. I know of organizations that consider themselves in the business of serving Dunwoody that consider this part of their territory. Most people think of Dunwoody as ending at I-285, however.

That said, it's not a bad place to be, especially considering where you'll be working. Regarding resale value, I don't know that having a "Brookhaven" or "Dunwoody" zip code is all that important -- I believe most people will be looking more at things like which school districts it's in, etc. Unless I miss my guess, that's going to be in the Montgomery Elementary/Chamblee Middle/Chamblee High district in DeKalb County. The folks I know who have kids at Montgomery are generally happy with it, but there's concern about the impact of the closing of Nancy Creek Elementary and the merging of the populations -- have heard some grumblings on that score (if the development in question isn't in Montgomery, it's in Nancy Creek, which means it'll probably be in Montgomery next year). There's enough new high-end development going on in that area that it's going to do at least as well as the housing market in Atlanta overall. How well that'll be remains to be seen, but you're not likely to be worse off there than most other places in town.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the info all.

We don't plan on having kids for a while so I won't need the school system. And we're looking at an entry-level townhouse, so I assume anyone we sell to probably won't have kids either. I really love the location, and the development itself...we will definitely drive thru at night though to see how the area is.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:59 AM

4,845 posts, read 10,938,402 times
You're calling Danbury Parc an entry-level townhome?! These things have like 2500 s.f. and are selling in the mid 300's. That's twice the price of the median home in the Atlanta area. I wouldn't call that entry-level. But I guess you're right in that you probably won't be selling to a family w/kids. You'll most likely be selling to another young professional couple w/dual incomes or empty-nesters looking to move in-town.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:49 AM

697 posts, read 2,852,356 times
Yeah, understand that the schools per se aren't part of your concern. You had a question about the impact of having the "wrong" zip code for Dunwoody; my point was that most people (at least in my experience) look more at school district than zip code in deciding where to buy/live, and that school district would have more impact on resale value than zip code. While you may believe (and it well may be the case) that the schools won't be an issue for you or any prospective buyers, they will affect the values of other properties nearby and hence the comps that will be used to appraise your property. I personally think people agonize too much over resale value and not enough over what the experience of living someplace will actually be, but it is a factor you have to consider.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
You're calling Danbury Parc an entry-level townhome?! These things have like 2500 s.f. and are selling in the mid 300's. That's twice the price of the median home in the Atlanta area. I wouldn't call that entry-level. But I guess you're right in that you probably won't be selling to a family w/kids. You'll most likely be selling to another young professional couple w/dual incomes or empty-nesters looking to move in-town.
We're looking at their Court series, which is low 300's. I know this is a lot compared to the atlanta median, but it is actually low for the city, considering you get over 2200 sq ft and 2 car garage. We've visited similar townhomes in Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, & Alpharetta that run 350-450k.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:40 AM

Any other comments on this specific area? We are close to making an offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>