Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 09:12 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Therefore, before making your turn, you must stop and remain stopped for any pedestrians in the crosswalk of the road onto which you wish to turn until they have cleared the lanes of traffic upon which you are traveling
This seems to be the key passage in the scenario arjay is claiming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 09:14 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
CQ, read that ^^
Well, then the driver should just drive slower.
The driver should be in an autonomous car.
Roads should be at least a mile from where anyone could walk.
There should be no cars or roads.
Something like that should suffice.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:20 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Well, then the driver should just drive slower.
The driver should be in an autonomous car.
Roads should be at least a mile from where anyone could walk.
There should be no cars or roads.
Something like that should suffice.
We should build pedestrian overpasses at all crossings.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:31 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Or we could all just use common sense.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Or we could all just use common sense.
Goes for both side of the argument.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:05 AM

219 posts, read 270,584 times
Or OP is trolling? Seems like OP almost hits a pedestrian once a month because the 'pedestrian isn't paying attention.' Right. I cannot remember the last time I even came close to hitting anyone, either a biker/runner/walker/jogger? Why is this a trend, OP? Or are you using hyperbole and 'fake news' to push an agenda?

Old 02-27-2017, 10:15 AM

2,024 posts, read 1,314,638 times
My attitude in these situations isn't "what does the law allow", or "will the law protect me from their actions", but rather "how can I protect myself from these fools".

If a pedestrian ignores traffic, runs out in front of you, and gets hit, Ga Code theoretically protects you from criminal charges. I say theoretically because whether or not you get charged depends upon whether there are witnesses that agree with you, and whether the cop who investigates believes your version of the events. If you're alone and the pedestrians family and friends are the only other witnesses, they may well choose to lie about what happened. And then there is the possibility of civil suits, where all bets are off. Truth and reality are not sufficient a guarantee to protect you.

I drive through Emory most days of the week, and so often the students seem to think they're back home playing in the cul-de-sac and come running (literally running) out from anywhere at anytime. You also have to deal with drugged up patients staggering into the street. Come to think of it, you have to deal with drugged up/drunk people everywhere in Atlanta. (Insert cellphone users rant here).

There's no good answer except to always assume that the pedestrian in front of you is going to be oblivious and stupid. Slow down, look at them, and ease around them when making the right turn, especially if they have their back to you. I'd rather waste a few seconds ten thousand times than spend a minute in any time in court, even if I'll win. I may sound cynical, but it's all about protecting me from trouble in an unfair legal system.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:54 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Goes for both side of the argument.
Read it again. That's exactly what I said.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:57 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripTychTwo View Post
Or OP is trolling? Seems like OP almost hits a pedestrian once a month because the 'pedestrian isn't paying attention.' Right. I cannot remember the last time I even came close to hitting anyone, either a biker/runner/walker/jogger? Why is this a trend, OP? Or are you using hyperbole and 'fake news' to push an agenda?
I don't remember who OP is, but as I said several times, if you drive around GSU you will frequently see people step right out into the street without looking, and it doesn't matter if they're in a crosswalk or not. Drive Luckie Street between Aderhold and Equitable and dial back your laser focus for one millionth of a second and see what happens.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I don't remember who OP is, but as I said several times, if you drive around GSU you will frequently see people step right out into the street without looking, and it doesn't matter if they're in a crosswalk or not. Drive Luckie Street between Aderhold and Equitable and dial back your laser focus for one millionth of a second and see what happens.
Yes, drivers will need to adjust their driving habits when driving in dense, urban areas with 30K+ university and 100K's jobs. It's not the same as driving on suburban divided roads with 45 mph SL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta