Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:38 AM

5 posts, read 5,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
If you guys are trying to get directly on to companies, then no wonder you aren't getting jobs. That's a no brainer. Almost every job I've ever had has been through a recruiting firm, and that's quite a lot. Sure there are some scumbag recuiters out there, but if you've been around long enough, you can pretty much figure this out in a phone call or 2. There are some recruiters who do keyword searches, but you'll know if they have any clue if it fits your skillset in about 5 minutes after they call you.

Companies rarely if ever hire directly. In telecom, good luck not coming in as a contractor. Verizon, T-Mobile, Cox, and ATT make HEAVY use of contractors. Even in Seattle where I am now, you have no idea how many orange Microsoft badges I see (orange badges are Microsoft contractor badges, blue if permanent).

Companies hire contractors and outsource for a number of reasons, and the trending has been common place since the 90s. If you think you're just going to waltz into Coke, Home Depot, and any other company and just get handed a job as a full time permanent employee guess again. Contracting is common practice in most states, be it Dallas, Seattle, Palo Alto, NYC, Raleigh, Minneapolis, etc. It doesn't go away simply because you're no longer in the state of GA.

If you think that you can somehow get a job in this country without going through recruiters, then it seems to me like you need a reality check. Not all are flakey, some are actually very professional. I keep those professional ones on my LinkedIn and contact list. The unprofessional ones, I let them fade out of my memory.
This is very good unfiltered advice. You are right on the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 02:15 PM

431 posts, read 659,586 times
Interesting comments and this is why I'm staying in NYC. My parents live in Atlanta and are delusional about the job market there. Want me to move back home and quit my job here... I was living there in 2008-2009 and couldn't find a job. I was applying everywhere and I only job offer I got was from Niketown in Phipps Plaza. Started applying to jobs in NYC and within days the companies called me for interviews. I was lucky because I had unemployment for like a year. I was out of the ATL...The temp agencies down there are the worst...

What I don't understand is how are people living "well" if the economy is so bad?

Old 07-26-2012, 05:41 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa1974 View Post
Interesting comments and this is why I'm staying in NYC. My parents live in Atlanta and are delusional about the job market there. Want me to move back home and quit my job here... I was living there in 2008-2009 and couldn't find a job. I was applying everywhere and I only job offer I got was from Niketown in Phipps Plaza. Started applying to jobs in NYC and within days the companies called me for interviews. I was lucky because I had unemployment for like a year. I was out of the ATL...The temp agencies down there are the worst...

What I don't understand is how are people living "well" if the economy is so bad?
It depends on your industry. I see tons of ads for IT people, and low wage service jobs, but not that many ads for jobs that are more administrative. If you can afford to work and live in the NYC area, and enjoy it, stay there until you are ready to leave. You have to live your life while you can; before your parents get sick and you wind up taking care of them (which happened to me).

Old 07-26-2012, 09:16 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa1974 View Post
If someone is fully employed, things might be a little tight, but otherwise close to normal.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:36 PM

73 posts, read 154,779 times
Is The Job Posting Worth Applying To? 7 Ways To Tell

Old 02-09-2016, 03:58 AM

1 posts, read 601 times
Atlanta, Georgia is the worst place to depend on in the job market! It's the very reason why you see so many older adults working at jobs that are particularly mean't to employ high school students. The people are desperate around here! That's why sex trafficking is at a higher rate than ever, not to mention that you can get any "trick" you want for pennies on the dollar.

Everyone appears to be moving here thinking that they will be landing executive level top-paying careers and living the "high life!" I wonder where this misconcept came from. This is STILL the south. Don't let the television shows fool ya!!

I don't care if you have an "everyday you hustle" go-getting attitude to motivate you or hype you up...it takes more than that to make it in the ATL!! It's so bad with jobs down here until people are putting their little 5 and 6 year olds to work...simply put, begging like homeless people outside of local stores and restaurants.

I've met so many people with Master Degrees working as housekeepers, as grocery store cashiers, at the car wash, concession stands, and fast food businesses. That's why customer service sucks down here! You have people with high-level degrees being misunderstood, and are being paid low wages on average jobs.

Not to mention the crime is more than ridiculous! A failing school system. Between the ATL, New Orleans, Chicago, & Memphis...they are all about the same! I'm moving my family as far away from this place as I can. For those of you on your way here, you should think 100x before you do. Be prepared to watch all of your posessions like a hawk!

Old 02-09-2016, 04:35 AM

994 posts, read 1,540,597 times
Not sure why this old thread was resurrected. But we moved here successfully and, praise God, have not struggled financially since doing so. I was even able to stop working full time after always being a full-time working mom, and have freelanced and consulted consistently since moving.

But you have a point: the local job market does seem challenged, even after the "recovery."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta