Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:58 PM

16,644 posts, read 29,343,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
No to Avondale, unless a change is made in leadership and families from Avondale Estates start to use the school. If Museum School thrives and grows, something dramatic (in addition to a leadership change) will have to happen to make Avondale Elem the school of choice for you neighbors.

I would avoid DeKalb, as the new administration, so far, is seeming like more of the same.

starfish27--

I told you that lastminutemom would give you better insight/details about Avondale (and DeKalb in general)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 PM

54 posts, read 61,775 times
I have been looking for school/neighborhood for a few months, have visited about 20 schools, and might have some insight:

These appear to the be the top:

Atlanta:
Lin-Inman PK-Grady
Spring. Park-Inman Pk-Grady
Morningside-Inman PK-Grady

It appears that any elementary school zoned to Inman Pk-Grady (with the exception of Cent. Park) is fine. Right now, I'm resolved to paying for ES, and buying downtown, zoned to Inman Pk-Grady.

Dekalb:

Fernbank-Shamrock-D. Hills

I agree with others that on-line score and other objective measures might not be a good way to choose a school. You have to visit the schools, look into the classrooms, go to the school library (that tells you a lot about the rigor of the curriculum), and listen to how the teachers speak to the kids.

Like you, I'm a urban dweller, and the thought of maybe having to leave the city to ensure an affordable education for my kids has monopolized many dinners.

I tell you, the home/school decision is like a full-time job.

Good luck!

Last edited by 4KBH; 07-09-2012 at 07:30 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 AM

Another option is the Intradistrict Lottery every Summer. We just applied to Lin and Morningside. Don't know how old your kids are, but if they are entering school age next year, you might want to request a special transfer, despite where you live in the city.

But right now, we're doing private if they are not accepted.

Student Transfers / Lottery 2012-2013

Old 07-10-2012, 06:31 AM

75 posts, read 203,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KBH View Post
I have been looking for school/neighborhood for a few months, have visited about 20 schools, and might have some insight:

These appear to the be the top:

Atlanta:
Lin-Inman PK-Grady
Spring. Park-Inman Pk-Grady
Morningside-Inman PK-Grady

It appears that any elementary school zoned to Inman Pk-Grady (with the exception of Cent. Park) is fine. Right now, I'm resolved to paying for ES, and buying downtown, zoned to Inman Pk-Grady.

Dekalb:

Fernbank-Shamrock-D. Hills

I agree with others that on-line score and other objective measures might not be a good way to choose a school. You have to visit the schools, look into the classrooms, go to the school library (that tells you a lot about the rigor of the curriculum), and listen to how the teachers speak to the kids.

Like you, I'm a urban dweller, and the thought of maybe having to leave the city to ensure an affordable education for my kids has monopolized many dinners.

I tell you, the home/school decision is like a full-time job.

Good luck!
Is anyone paying attention to the OP?

This person is looking for an in-town "hidden gem" neighborhood with good schools and a budget of $170K. You just recommended SPark, Lin, Morningside, and Fernbank Elementary districts. Really?

When you find a home for $170,000 in those areas, you let us know.

Seriously, people, I am all for positive thinking and wanting to support our OP who wants to stay in the city, but let's be realistic. Again, the metro Atlanta area has something close to 5.9 million people, and what the OP is after simply does not exist.

For years I have been looking for a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom renovated home with a fenced yard and a garage in Garden Hills for no more than $425,000. That is just as feasible as what the OP is looking for.

OP, best of luck. Keep searching, but IMO, you need to think carefully about your budget and see if you can increase it (interest rates are as low as they will ever be, so that helps!) AND definitely increase the radius of your search.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:49 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,817,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msh0146 View Post

Seriously, people, I am all for positive thinking and wanting to support our OP who wants to stay in the city, but let's be realistic. Again, the metro Atlanta area has something close to 5.9 million people, and what the OP is after simply does not exist.
We pretty much made that clear as of page two.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:

This person is looking for an in-town "hidden gem" neighborhood with good schools and a budget of $170K. You just recommended SPark, Lin, Morningside, and Fernbank Elementary districts. Really?

When you find a home for $170,000 in those areas, you let us know.

For years I have been looking for a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom renovated home with a fenced yard and a garage in Garden Hills for no more than $425,000. That is just as feasible as what the OP is looking for.

OP, best of luck. Keep searching, but IMO, you need to think carefully about your budget and see if you can increase it (interest rates are as low as they will ever be, so that helps!) AND definitely increase the radius of your search.

Perhaps I was unclear: My post was simply to state that the only good schools in APS are the ones listed. Ironically these schools tend to be zoned to areas with extremely expensive real estate, which doesn't meet the OP needs. Hence, the best option for some who wish to stay ITP, is the intradistrict lottery.

Last edited by 4KBH; 07-10-2012 at 07:23 AM..

Old 07-10-2012, 07:12 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,877,930 times
Metro does not have 5.9 million people. Closer 5.2 million.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:19 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Quote:
Oh, I agree with you 100%! My central issue with school/ITP is that it is extremely unlikely to fine both a good house price AND good schools. My post was simply to state that the only good schools in APS tend to be zoned to areas with extremely expensive real estate. I too--like the OP--have been looking to stay ITP and not go broke (my budget is a bit higher, but not half-mil like many homes in these areas). The best option for some is the lottery.

In addition, I believe the OP *might* need to expand her search or increase her budget.
Good schools are the #1 driving factor in real estate prices in intown neighborhoods. That's why there is such a price difference between North of DeKalb and South of DeKalb, Grady cluster. Other schools are steadily improving. It is impossible to think that after decades or disinvestment in intown neighborhoods following White Flight, that schools would stay at a high level. It takes parent involvement. Mary-Lin and Inman was not always the gem they are today. It took several years of parent involvement to turn those schools around. Now those people can look at the schools with pride knowing what they did improved a whole area of Atlanta.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:21 AM

75 posts, read 203,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Metro does not have 5.9 million people. Closer 5.2 million.
What difference does it make? 5.2M vs. 5.9M has no effect on the debate at hand.

TROLL

Old 07-10-2012, 07:23 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,877,930 times
Quote:
What difference does it make? 5.2M vs. 5.9M has no effect on the debate at hand.

TROLL

You have 29 post to my 600+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta