Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:59 PM

141 posts, read 299,450 times

Advertisements

It seems so hard to get both good schools & an affordable neighborhood in Atlanta. My husband and I are have been researching neighborhoods for a while and we keep running into this problem. We currently own a condo in Avondale Estates and want to start a family soon. We're hoping to find a house under $170K in a good school district. A 3/2 would be ideal, but a 2/1 would be adequate if it had enough space. City of Decatur seems to have the best schools but our price range makes it out of reach for us. Atlanta has quite a few good charter schools, but I'm not sure I want to rely on this since there's no guarantee of admittance.
Are there any neighborhoods or school districts I should look into that might fit our needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 10:19 PM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish27 View Post
It seems so hard to get both good schools & an affordable neighborhood in Atlanta. My husband and I are have been researching neighborhoods for a while and we keep running into this problem. We currently own a condo in Avondale Estates and want to start a family soon. We're hoping to find a house under $170K in a good school district. A 3/2 would be ideal, but a 2/1 would be adequate if it had enough space. City of Decatur seems to have the best schools but our price range makes it out of reach for us. Atlanta has quite a few good charter schools, but I'm not sure I want to rely on this since there's no guarantee of admittance.
Are there any neighborhoods or school districts I should look into that might fit our needs?

Possibly Affordable Intown Neighborhoods with Good Schools

E. Rivers Elementary/Sutton Middle/North Atlanta High
Underwood Hills
Berkeley Park

Bolton Academy/Sutton Middle/North Atlanta High
Whittier Mill Village
Bolton
Riverside
Hills Park

Centennial Place Elementary/Inman Middle/Grady High
Howell Station/Knight Park
Home Park

Garden Hills Elementary/Sutton Middle/North Atlanta High
Martin Manor/Linridge

Avondale Elementary/Shamrock Middle*/Druid Hills High
Avondale Estates
Forrest Hills
Midway Woods

Laurel Ridge Elementary/Shamrock Middle*/Druid Hills High
Lindmoor Woods
Medlock

You may also want to look at homes in the Briar Vista Elementary District (will be Shamrock Middle*/Druid Hills High).

*I refuse to call Shamrock Middle the re-named "Druid Hills Middle School!" Horrivel!

I hope this helps some. Good Luck!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:31 PM

141 posts, read 299,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Possibly Affordable Intown Neighborhoods with Good Schools

E. Rivers Elementary/Sutton Middle/North Atlanta High
Underwood Hills
Berkeley Park

Bolton Academy/Sutton Middle/North Atlanta High
Whittier Mill Village
Bolton
Riverside
Hills Park

Centennial Place Elementary/Inman Middle/Grady High
Howell Station/Knight Park
Home Park

Garden Hills Elementary/Sutton Middle/North Atlanta High
Martin Manor/Linridge

Avondale Elementary/Shamrock Middle*/Druid Hills High
Avondale Estates
Forrest Hills
Midway Woods

Laurel Ridge Elementary/Shamrock Middle*/Druid Hills High
Lindmoor Woods
Medlock

You may also want to look at homes in the Briar Vista Elementary District (will be Shamrock Middle*/Druid Hills High).

*I refuse to call Shamrock Middle the re-named "Druid Hills Middle School!" Horrivel!

I hope this helps some. Good Luck!

Thanks so much, Aries! Some of these areas I hadn't even considered. I'm curious though as to why you included Avondale Elementary? This is the district we currently live in and I haven't heard many good things about the school. Is it getting better?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:33 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,100 times
Quote:
May I ask why you are choosing to stay intown?

Some other posters seem to think that people with kids want to move to outer burbs and don't care about the amenities of the city.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
What constitute good schools. I know Kirkwood has affordable homes in your price range, has Drew Charter and the greatly improved Toomer E.S. Why only charters is there something wrong with public?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:40 AM

145 posts, read 361,476 times
Regarding the "west side" of that (great) list by Aries 4118...the only time you will find a decent home at or below 170K in Whittier Mill Village, Berkeley Park, or Underwood Hills is if it is a rare foreclosure, so if you see one, jump on it right away and go see if it is on a decent lot and is a decent house. Riverside more often than those other neighborhoods will have some foreclosures/short sales in that price range. The school cluster (Bolton Academy or E. Rivers, Sutton Middle, North Atlanta High) is good especially considering that price range. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much, Aries! Some of these areas I hadn't even considered. I'm curious though as to why you included Avondale Elementary? This is the district we currently live in and I haven't heard many good things about the school. Is it getting better?
Overall, I would say Avondale could be getting better.

Why?
-The Avondale district was redistricted to the Druid Hills High Cluster.
-The Avondale district now includes active families from Midway Woods.
-Because of the cluster change and the addition of Midway Woods, I am assuming/predicting renewed and better interest in Avondale Elementary.

Lady Lastminutemom can give you better details and insight about this situation.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
What constitute good schools. I know Kirkwood has affordable homes in your price range, has Drew Charter and the greatly improved Toomer E.S. Why only charters is there something wrong with public?
Quote:
To starfish27--

Like cqholt said, I would add the Kirkwood and East Lake neighborhoods to your list. Toomer Elementary in Kirkwood is fantastic! The East Lake neighborhood attends Toomer as well.

Last edited by aries4118; 06-19-2012 at 09:20 AM..

Old 06-19-2012, 09:14 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Look at the greatschools.com scores.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Look at the greatschools.com scores.
To assess whether a school is "good" or not, one must look well beyond test scores and greatschools.org.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta