Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:11 PM

5 posts, read 65,319 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking around here for a while, and we are seriously considering relocating from LA to Suwanee or somewhere in that vicinity. I've read a lot about two things that concern me: crime and traffic. We intend to work in the area we live, so, compared to LA, i.e., the 405 between the 10 and the 710, how bad will the traffic be? And, relative to crime in LA, how bad is crime, really, in Suwanee, Lawrenceville, Buford, Duluth, etc? I am concerned that relocating to the Atlanta area not be merely exchanging one unpleasant reality for another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 04:55 PM

98 posts, read 471,299 times
Crime is not an issue. Traffic is a problem if you have to use I85 to I285 stretch during normal commute hours..... but the interstates here have a lot more capacity than LA.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:06 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,101,714 times
There is really not much crime in Suwanee. The police just had their first murder case in like 30 or 40 years, and that just happened to be a person from out of town that stopped at a motel off the interstate and had a domestic dispute that ended badly. I have never felt unsafe here.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:10 PM

483 posts, read 2,093,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
There is really not much crime in Suwanee. The police just had their first murder case in like 30 or 40 years, and that just happened to be a person from out of town that stopped at a motel off the interstate and had a domestic dispute that ended badly. I have never felt unsafe here.
Same here. If your spouse isn't trying to get rid of you, and you aren't involved in dealing drugs, the odds of having a problem go way down.

There are parts of LA I wouldn't drive thru (lived there),
there are parts of Atl I wouldn't walk thru,(ditto) but get outside the city and you're in far more danger of being run down by a big-haired lady in a big-a$$ed $UV talking on her cell phone while curling her eyelashes (seen that in person!)

Old 09-26-2007, 07:09 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,870 times
I think you'll be fine and probably very happy in the areas you're looking at. Traffic is bad but it really is contained w/in the rush 'hours' rather than all day long like in LA. You can actually drive the speed limit for a greater portion of the day on Atlanta highways. I don't think I've ever done that in LA!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:34 PM

121 posts, read 320,632 times
Think long and hard Mooseman. We spent 35 years in L.A.. When we finally got out we went to what was described to us as "paradise." In reality for us it turned out to be hell. The traffic was worse than L.A., there was just as much ,only they drive much faster and pay no attention to other drivers. What exactly is the appeal there for you?

Old 09-26-2007, 09:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Atlanta is called the "L.A. of the East" by some, and recently it was ranked as having the 2nd worst traffic overall right under L.A. in numerous articles, so if you're looking to get away from traffic and "smog days", sorry, this aint the place to do it.

Try Portland, Oregon. Not quite everyone from L.A. has moved up there yet and they're not as ticked with you guys as they used to be, plus they have better public transit and less crime.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:53 PM

274 posts, read 860,125 times
Wink relocate

Traffic is bad here but not nearly a bad as LA. I retired here to ATL from LA. I used to commute from LA ( I worked for the Metro Transit) out to Riverside. That type of trip here would not take the 2 1/2- 3 hrs it would take in LA. I find the air to be much, much better than LA. Yes, there is smog but not like LA. Come down spend a month if you can and drive everywhere and see for yourself. That is the very best way to decide if you'll like it.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:17 AM

168 posts, read 637,244 times
Yes, the air is better. However, if you are planning to get out of driving, forget it. You will drive just as much because everything is much farther apart than it is in LA. The freeways are not as bad, but they can be worse. There are many fewer work-arounds in Atlanta when the freeways are choked with an accident. In LA you can get around them fairly easily. Same for surface streets.

Imo, you should just remove traffic from the plate - it's even steven. Consider the other things you will get: a nice big (new) house, any size or shape, with trees and privacy from your n'bors, and several acres if that's what you want. If you choose the right spot, you can also have all the conveniences. Choose the wrong spot, and you'll find yourself driving 15 minutes just to get milk.

Don't need to worry about crime on the north side of Atlanta. However, the farther out from Atlanta you go, the more rednecks you will find, and the fewer people you will find to socialize with a person "of the world" from LA.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:22 AM

483 posts, read 2,093,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westward View Post
Don't need to worry about crime on the north side of Atlanta. However, the farther out from Atlanta you go, the more rednecks you will find, and the fewer people you will find to socialize with a person "of the world" from LA.
You'll be fine, once you realize being 'from LA' isn't something to brag about.
The vast majority of the US sees things that are happening in California, and decided long ago that Californians are living in their own strange, illogical little world, divorced from reality.
Unfair? Sure it is. Blame Hollywood for creating and reinforcing that image.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta