U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 10:01 AM

5 posts, read 8,212 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved to Mableton from California in December 2011. We took a little time to get to know the area and fix up our new house. At the end of April we started looking for jobs, and my husband found one that is temp-to-perm, and has two other offers for permanent jobs in progress with reference and background checks underway.

I have been pretty successful with getting interviews, and have had six phone or in-person interviews in the last three weeks. I had phone interviews with two hiring managers this week, and they both have set up in-person interviews with me. They said they want me to meet other people in their respective departments, and then they would may the final decision that same day. I am pretty sure that both of the managers want to bring me on board. There are some factors that I have to consider if they both make me an offer. Both jobs pay well, but one is about 13% more than the other. The higher paying job is in Norcross off of Peachtree Industrial Blvd. I am concerned about the commute. I live off of Pebblebrook Rd right in between Veteran's Memorial and S. Cobb. What kind of commute time should I expect?

I can avoid driving to the other job that is Downtown by taking the CCT Express bus from Mableton to Downtown. It will cost $10 round trip, and I can park my car for free at the Park and Ride off of Floyd Rd. The issue is that the route schedule is very limited, and if I have to stay late at work I would not be able to get home without an expensive taxi fare if my husband is unavailable (very likely due to his own schedule) to pick me up. Are there formal carpools or other transportation options to commute from my area of Cobb County to Downtown?

Even if I were not to get either job, it is a high likelihood that these areas would be where other opportunities in my field, IT Project Management, would be located. So, I just want to know as much information about commuting as possible. I have read previous posts about commutes from Mableton/Smyrna/Vinings, but they are 5 years old, and would appreciate more recent insight.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 10:25 AM

23,729 posts, read 19,212,348 times
Quote:
Are there formal carpools or other transportation options to commute from my area of Cobb County to Downtown?
Is there a CCT bus from HE Holmes MARTA Station to your area?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:31 AM

2,452 posts, read 4,011,753 times
I was looking at a job that had me commuting from Smyrna to Norcross (I am closer than you - near I-75) and I was in a panic about the commute. If you are going during traffic hours and with the sun in your face - I expect it will be 1 hour on average and possibly worse in bad weather. There is simply no back roads.

I have no problems driving downtown. There are so many alternative routes.

I think age has something to do with tolerance to trafffic. When I was in my 20's I used to get stuck in 1 hour commutes (I traveled all over the Atlanta area) and I just dealt with it. I have lost tolerance to do this more than occasionally.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:33 AM

16,222 posts, read 8,869,362 times
I actually would just take my car from Mableton to downtown. I used to live in Mableton and going east on Veterans Memorial/Hollowell will take you straight downtown and there is minimal traffic once you pass Fulton Industrial/285. You can also take Floyd Road/MLK all the way downtown with minimal traffic once you are pass Fulton Industrial/I20. It would probably only be a 20 minute drive and there are other back routes to get there as well.

Norcross would mean a ride on 285 and back when I used to have to drive from Mableton to Alpharetta for my job years ago, probably about 10 years ago, it was traffic hell and I didn't even have to be at work until 3:30 so I can imagine the traffic during regular business hours. It usually took at least 40-60 minutes to get there.

Also for transit, like cqholt said above you should check to see if there is a CCT bus that goes to HE Holmes as Marta will take you directly downtown from there and it would probably be cheaper than $10 a day, which is steep IMO for a ride that isn't that bad to drive. They did used to have a CCT bus that went to HE Holmes, it was going to Six Flags and there was another one as well, but I'm sure they still have the Six Flags bus.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:30 PM

Default I did find out about CCT to Marta connection

I decided to call CCT, and asked if there were other buses that I could take downtown during non-commute times, and the woman told me that the 30 bus goes to the Hamilton Holmes MARTA station. The fares are the same and the travel times listed are similar to taking the Express bus. I know how to take the streets to get there, but the reason why I don't want to drive into town is because parking is quite expensive. Can I park near Peachtree Center for $10 or less all day?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msnickel&dime View Post
I decided to call CCT, and asked if there were other buses that I could take downtown during non-commute times, and the woman told me that the 30 bus goes to the Hamilton Holmes MARTA station. The fares are the same and the travel times listed are similar to taking the Express bus. I know how to take the streets to get there, but the reason why I don't want to drive into town is because parking is quite expensive. Can I park near Peachtree Center for $10 or less all day?

Thanks for everyone's input.
Yes you can. I work at Peachtree Center and there are parking decks where you can pay monthly. The deck I park in is $75 a month. Daily, if you are there before 10am, it is $4 a day. You can also find lots for less than this, you will just have to walk a few blocks.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:11 PM

9,124 posts, read 33,729,254 times
Have you checked with the company you're considering in downtown to see if they offer free parking in their deck? Many companies downtown do.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Have you checked with the company you're considering in downtown to see if they offer free parking in their deck? Many companies downtown do.
I agree with this. My company pays for my parking and the other 2 companies on my floor pay for employee parking as well.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:35 PM

Default I will find out first hand

I am scheduled to have the in-person interview in Norcross on Thursday at 9 a.m. That should be in the heart of prime commute time, and should give me an idea of what kind of driving nightmare I might encounter. The Downtown company is supposed to call me on Monday to set up the in-person interview with them. I will inquire if they offer some sort of parking program for employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta