Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 06:09 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,846 times

Advertisements

As the Atlanta Housing Authority moves to demolish another wave of housing projects, what does that mean for the city's poor?

Public housing on the chopping block: As the Atlanta Housing Authority moves to demolish another wave of housing projects, what does that mean for the city's poor?: Cover Story: Cover: Creative Loafing Atlanta

Personally I'm glad to see the old pubic housing go, breeds nothing but crime and I think it's served it's purpose and it's time for a new concept of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 08:43 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
As the Atlanta Housing Authority moves to demolish another wave of housing projects, what does that mean for the city's poor?

Public housing on the chopping block: As the Atlanta Housing Authority moves to demolish another wave of housing projects, what does that mean for the city's poor?: Cover Story: Cover: Creative Loafing Atlanta

Personally I'm glad to see the old pubic housing go, breeds nothing but crime and I think it's served it's purpose and it's time for a new concept of living.
I've studied every housing project served by Atlanta Housing Authority. They are currently transitioning from traditional housing projects to mixed-income projects and MTW (moving-to-work) projects. Centennial Place apartments (replaced the Techwood projects) were the first mixed-income housing projects in the nation (I used to live here). Market-rate rentals on the bottom floors and low-income housing on the top floors. In this respect, they are forming a model for the rest of the country's housing authorities to follow. There are plans for more projects of this type. Their MTW program keeps track of all the residents to make sure they are "moving back to work" and keeping a steady job. If any resident receiving subsidies is having trouble keeping a steady job, they are kicked out of the program and someone else is given their spot. The purpose of this program is to eventually get them back on track in life and to allow them to be able to afford a market-rate apartment on their own.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:50 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Oops, I just read that article after posting the first time. Very good read. I guess I misunderstood your original question. By tearing down old public housing projects, AHA is kicking the bad apples to the curb and letting the good apples back into the program who really want a chance to reform. This eliminates a lot of the crime that will always be around high concentrations of poor people who are casting bad influences on each other. You're asking what's going to happen to the bad apples. Good question. I really don't know, but I guess they will most likely be joining Atlanta's homeless community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: