Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 10:40 PM

26 posts, read 45,956 times

Advertisements

Work Location: Sandy Springs (off of the sandy springs metro stop)

Max distance to work: 30 minute drive rush hour

Looking for: close to nightlife (night clubs & bars) (taxi cab distance), young professionals, safe

Price Range: $1600 - $1700 for a 2BR/1BA

Also, I come from DC. So it was all about living close to a metro. Is living close to a metro here important?

I plan on bringing my car. I guess I could metro to work? But I was told it was all about driving in Atlanta.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 11:43 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
With your budget you can rent in most areas. You will only be priced out of a few exclusive spots. It seems like $1100-1200 can get you into apartments in most areas.
Truth is if you can walk to work from the Sandy Springs station you can choose your lifestyle!

You can live near Lindbergh station in some walkable apartments or live in midtown. You will still need your car to access all the cool area, some shopping, and dining options. You can also choose to rent in Buckhead, but you will need a car. (there are transit station options in Buckhead, but they aren't near the dining/entertainment options. It is mostly near office, hotel, and condo high rises). I would look near Peachtree st & East Paces and Pharr rd and Piedmont rd.

However, if you live close to Perimeter.. you will need a car, but there are lots of options and condos nearby.

If you have a car and don't mind a drive.. I would also look at areas along the Beltline near Little 5 points, the Virginia Highlands along Ponce de Leon Ave and north.

Last edited by cwkimbro; 06-28-2012 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 06-29-2012, 06:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Look at Midtown, Inman Park, Candler Park, and Decatur. All are located along the MARTA rail lines. All have concentrations of nightlife. Midtown has clubs, Inman and Candler Parks are located close to Little 5 Points. Decatur has the square with all bars and great restaurants. All areas are safe, full of young professionals, and someone could survive without a car as stores are close and walkable. Virginia-Highlands has a lot of bars, but is not close to a train station and has a frat feel to it.
Personally I live in Kirkwood, south of Candler Park, its full of young professionals and ride the train to my job close to the Sandy Springs station. Its about 45 minutes door-to-door, that's with changing trains at Five Points Station. Midtown is on the North-South Red Line so no need to change trains.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:57 AM

26 posts, read 45,956 times
Thanks for the tips, guys. Would living in Midtown allow me to get to sandy springs in 30 minutes (via driving or MARTA rail)?

Also, I definitely do plan on bringing my car so parking availability is also important.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:06 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Defiantly by MARTA, use the Red Line to Sandy Springs station. Midtown has 3 stations: North Ave, Midtown, and Arts Center.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:37 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THETERMINATORRRR View Post
Thanks for the tips, guys. Would living in Midtown allow me to get to sandy springs in 30 minutes (via driving or MARTA rail)?

Also, I definitely do plan on bringing my car so parking availability is also important.
Most of the time... I would think so. The only thing to watch out for is if there is any localized congestion on the exact area where you choose to live that adds minutes for walking to MARTA or leaving the area by car.

As much as I like advocating transit when possible....

That is probably a fairly easy drive. The only draw back is a 50 cent toll booth on Ga 400.

You will find -most- apartments and condos here come with parking. Builders know the demand to have a car here is too important. The main exceptions will be small buildings (usually older buildings that have been converted and sub-divided) in some of the more neighborhood areas, but those usually have access to permitted street parking.

Depending on where in midtown you are... you should learn to use the Spring St-Buford Highway connector to Ga 400 via Sidney Marcus. It will either be the best route or a good alternative.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:30 AM

749 posts, read 887,059 times
Definitely check out Midtown. Most parts of Midtown you will not be more than 3 blocks or so from a metro (marta) station and getting to sandy springs shouldn't take more than 30 min, especially since the frequency will be shorter during peak commuting times. Plus there are plenty of young professionals and places to meet people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta