Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 03:18 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,424,928 times

Advertisements

Alabama vs. Georgia, not much to compare with competing for jobs in my opinion.

If you talk about college football rivalry, OK, yes, but not much else with employment (attracting jobs).

I see Alabama being similar to all of South Carolina and the rest of Georgia, just cannot really compare metro Atlanta to the rural or smaller-tiered towns within 2-6 hours drive from Atlanta on most things related to job relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 03:44 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,763,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Are you kidding? The bashfest between Georgia and Alabama has been around as long as there has been an Alabama.

Actually, I think we were bashing before we gave Alabama that land!

but in all seriousness I kind of agree with the other guy. I think people are being too hard on Georgia for not having airbus and too hard on Alabama.

Alabama is a much smaller state than us (economically and population), but that doesn't mean they aren't going to grow.

In many ways it is good for us, because many cities in the south still depend on Atlanta for financial, legal, and business services.

The only thing bad about Airbus is the facility will make them more competitive with Boeing in North America. While it gives us some factory jobs, it is supporting higher-wage engineering jobs in the Euro Zone, rather than at home.

The only good thing is the US successfully petitioned that a series of subsidies that helped airbus gain a foot hold was creating asymmetrical unfair competition. Boeing is slowly doing better in Europe again, especially with their more fuel efficient planes.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Are you kidding? The bashfest between Georgia and Alabama has been around as long as there has been an Alabama.
I never hear my fellow Alabamians bash Georgia, in fact I never even hear them mention Georgia unless theyre travelling there for some reason. This "bashfest" you speak of clearly works one way.

Most of the people doing the bashing aren't true Georgians anyways, they're transplants from somewhere else. These are the same people who tend to bash the whole South, but make an exception for Georgia since they landed a job there.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I never hear my fellow Alabamians bash Georgia, in fact I never even hear them mention Georgia unless theyre travelling there for some reason. This "bashfest" you speak of clearly works one way.

Most of the people doing the bashing aren't true Georgians anyways, they're transplants from somewhere else. These are the same people who tend to bash the whole South, but make an exception for Georgia since they landed a job there.
When visiting Alabama I have faced a good deal with Atlanta bashing. It also seems to be a popular thing for politicians to do in political matters, like the water wars. Often with disregard of what the ecological/geological facts of the situation are.

Btw, I am a true Georgian and a true Atlantan for many generations. This is my city and I certainly notice it when I am traveling and hear people complaining about the big city that gets all of the attention.

I'll be one of the first to defend Alabama a bit and call them a neighbor, but I'll also be one of the first to acknowledge this isn't just one-way.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
When visiting Alabama I have faced a good deal with Atlanta bashing. It also seems to be a popular thing for politicians to do in political matters, like the water wars. Often with disregard of what the ecological/geological facts of the situation are.

Btw, I am a true Georgian and a true Atlantan for many generations. This is my city and I certainly notice it when I am traveling and hear people complaining about the big city that gets all of the attention.

I'll be one of the first to defend Alabama a bit and call them a neighbor, but I'll also be one of the first to acknowledge this isn't just one-way.
I honestly never hear it. People may say they avoid Atlanta because of the traffic, but that's about it.

I will admit over here towards Mobile some people do put down Mississippi, which isn't right either.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:37 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,098,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
This is why people are choosing Birmingham over Atlanta. Look at all those jobs.
B'hams population has been in steady decline for 20+ years. Try again.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:30 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
It's a newer place. Size isn't everything and it is growing.
For me size matters. Grew up in a major city and will die in a major city..

Old 07-05-2012, 07:36 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,047,632 times
I've never heard Alabamians bash Atlanta. Most of them come here periodically to shop, see friends, etc.

The biggest sentiment I get from friends in Alabama is that Atlanta is just too busy, crazy, spread out, trafficy, etc. and they don't mind visiting but just don't want that much hassle in their daily lives.

I think Birmingham doesn't grow quite on purpose and by design. The residents quietly observe from afar what extreme growth looks like and have decided that it's not the direction they want to go in.

Birmingham's city population has always been tiny. The area has always had a modest growth trajectory, which I assume continues, but it is certainly not in the city. It tends to be over the mountain and increasingly in Shelby county. That kind of life is not for everybody to be sure, but I can certainly understand how it is an easier life.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:39 PM

I think the one major thing that is a unification between Atlanta and much of the south is the Atlanta Braves. In a big way its this city's team, but in a big way it is the South's team.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,907,102 times
My brother in law is from Gadsden. We're all from Metro Atlanta, of course. The first time he heard any Alabama jokes was at my sister's wedding rehearsal dinner. His feelings were hurt. I felt bad. But now, 26 years later and all of it spent living in Georgia, guess who tells the funniest Alabama jokes? Yep: My brother in law! But most of his are just amended Mississippi jokes, which Alabamans do indeed tell with great delight! And Mississippians tell Louisiana jokes!

Let's be honest here, folks: People in every region and every state in the country enjoy "looking down there noses" and telling silly jokes about the next state over. Seriously, the jokes Georgians tell on Alabama ain't nuthin' compared to some of the really viscous jokes I've heard my Florida friends say about Georgia! North Carolinians tell South Carolina jokes, Tennesseans tell Kentucky jokes, Texans tell Oklahoma jokes. People in Washington State tell Oregon jokes!

And no matter where you go in the South, people LOVE to hate on ATL -- the traffic, the crime, the uppity attitude. Just like people nationally love to diss on NYC or LA. But it's usually harmless and seldom based on personal experience. It's part of being American.

Q "What's the best thing to ever come out of (INSERT STATE HERE)?"
A "I 20."

Now see, that's pretty harmless right?

Last edited by Newsboy; 07-05-2012 at 08:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta