Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 11:30 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,366 times

Advertisements

All of DeKalb county is not Dunwoody. And it's Dekalb county that is ripping itself apart along race lines. Thewack job legislator I referred to is from Marietta. The Milton secession movement is in Fulton. I have no idea about those other stares you've mentioned. My point is and always has been that there is little difference between Alabama and Georgia. Period. What oes or does not occur in northern cities is immaterial to the discussion. I freely acknowledged that at one point, Georgia did stand out as being more progressive than the rest of its southern brethren. However, for the past decade or so it has jumped on the crazy train too. Unlike them it has a lot to lose and its reputation is steadily eroding.

And again, progressiveness is not measured by the number of blacks rlected o public office. Georgia is what 40% black? How can it be otherwise. And as I've said the number one marker for regressiveness in this ountry is the percentage of blacks. Most of the southern states will continue to have regressive political and economic policies because they want o kep blacks "in their place." This will continue no matter how many blacks are in public office because when the number gets too high the whites will leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I know Georgia is not a bastion of progressiveness.GA IS a leader out of the Southern states though.But you said Atlanta is not either and I totally disagree.Living in Dunwoody is like living almost in Greenwich CT.Do you really think that all those country clubs and old money havens will let a black or a Jew inside their walls?
Oh im not naive at all I can tell that growing up South GA and Atlanta have had definate amounts of racism in "code" that I have seen.But I have lived also all over the U.S. and Europe.As I have said before,racism in code is much more of a problem in many Northern cities and even a racial so called paradise like Miami.

A
friend from France had to go to Miami for a few months after leaving Atlanta.He was looking for his apartment and the landlord told him "North Miami beach is getting better because there are less black people".

I agree Texas and Florida even moreso are very backwards,but STILL many states are envious of they are.
But what about New York state with all it corrupt government in ALbany?
So only racial lines are what deems that state is backwards?

All I know is that in the last few years Georgia has elected 3blacks on its Supreme court and the Cheif justice till she recently retired was the first A.African American woman in the country to hold such position.
What about Thurburt Baker fmr Attorney General and labor Comm.Michael Thurmond?All STATEWIDE elected positions.Each of them were re-elected more than once.

A lot of this is more about class as it is racism.You should go to Chicago and visit some of those "llily white suburbs".See how they look at you if you are black there.
Why does NYC which has the most racist place in a big city I have ever been :Staten Island get a pass?Do you know that to this day there are neighborhoods where blacks wont go for fear of a Howard Beech type "beat-down"?Yet is NYC backwards?
I think people ignore what they want because it makes it easier to have just 2 choices:Good and Bad.The South will ALWAYS be in the bad no matter how many strides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 AM

95 posts, read 186,843 times
I personally like Mobile and Huntsville better than most of the similar sized cities in Georgia, especially the ones located in the metro blob of Atlanta. Mobile is not nearly as nice as Huntsville, but it has advantages of its location, being close to the beach and New Orleans and Biloxi.

Don't discount Biloxi!

Savannah is an OK city, but it has a national image of being much more southern than even Mobile. A lot of yankees choose the Gulf Coast/Panhandle region over Georgia's coast when they retire, so that helps things.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:05 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Most of the people doing the bashing aren't true Georgians anyways, they're transplants from somewhere else. These are the same people who tend to bash the whole South, but make an exception for Georgia since they landed a job there.
I save my bashing for folks wearing green and yellow with cheese on their heads, but that's because Wisconsin is a suburb of Minneapolis and gets uppity sometimes.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:19 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Some GT people told me years ago that Alabama's incentives to Mercedes weren't worth it for them. But over the years, Mercedes has greatly helped their image. Now Alabama has Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai.

And now they have another major coup...Airbus.

Airbus to build 1st US assembly plant in Alabama *| ajc.com

And South Carolina has scored with Boeing and BMW. How long before our neighbors catch up to Georgia and Atlanta?
Hey cant really hate those guys you know, what major city are they putting all these plants near?? The Airbus thing is really impressive. Good to see jobs coming back to America, but hopefully they will be selling the product made at these locations world wide and not just in the united states. That would really be a plus.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:33 PM

369 posts, read 657,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Yeah, I know, but, their laws differ from Florida's in that there's a caveat that if you're the aggressor you're not protected. Florida's does not. When you have states routinely passing legislation like this and the immigration law there's no way to see them as anything but backwards. As I've said before, it seems that the Confederate states seem bound and determined to out-regressive one another. We have a legislator out of Marietta who written legislation to investigate miscarriages! Miscarriages! Apparently it has no chance of passing, but the fact that this man can even draft such legislation without fear that everybody in the chamber would ask, WTF? Is indicative of just how far Georgia has regressed.
I think you're confusing your political affiliation with what's "progressive" and "regressive", what does that even mean anyways? From the posts in this thread it seems to boil down to Republican/conservative == regressive/backwards; while Democrat/Liberal == progressive. While I'm truly independent, I think both sides have their pluses and minuses. I don't agree with the "stand your ground" laws but I don't think giving illegal immigrants tax payer's money for day labor centers, schooling and in state tuition is fair either. Nor is constantly increasing taxes do so. That's mismanagement of funds. And what about the legal immigrants that are following the rules are they stupid for doing so?

It all comes down to what is fair and what makes your state competitive so that it's in the best interest
of legal residents. Not being "progressive" with an elitist attitude and creating laws for the sake of it. It's about things like creating jobs, providing good education, keeping crime low, being financially responsible with the taxes you collect, not treating your legal residents like an unlimited ATM machine. One only has to look at California as to why high-taxes and extreme liberalization is not a good thing. Basically a government's responsibility is about keeping its state as healthy as possible.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Will you please move to Birmingham and get outta Atlanta? All you do is hate on Atlanta.
I think he was just joking. Its not a big deal. Atlanta still has Hartfield.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:40 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,470 times
No I'm not joking and holy smokes at the miscarriage legislation. Many of our politicians are stupid as hell.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering what all these differences are as well. I've lived in both all my life and can say without a diubt there is very little difference between Alabama and Georgia. They are both dirt poor states deeply entrenched in poverty and backwards as it pertains to race, unions, education, hell pretty much everything that doesn't benefit a corporation.
Ugghh! (Rick Ross voice) Very interesting post.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:55 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
I think you're confusing your political affiliation with what's "progressive" and "regressive", what does that even mean anyways? From the posts in this thread it seems to boil down to Republican/conservative == regressive/backwards; while Democrat/Liberal == progressive. While I'm truly independent, I think both sides have their pluses and minuses. I don't agree with the "stand your ground" laws but I don't think giving illegal immigrants tax payer's money for day labor centers, schooling and in state tuition is fair either. Nor is constantly increasing taxes do so. That's mismanagement of funds. And what about the legal immigrants that are following the rules are they stupid for doing so?

It all comes down to what is fair and what makes your state competitive so that it's in the best interest
of legal residents. Not being "progressive" with an elitist attitude and creating laws for the sake of it. It's about things like creating jobs, providing good education, keeping crime low, being financially responsible with the taxes you collect, not treating your legal residents like an unlimited ATM machine. One only has to look at California as to why high-taxes and extreme liberalization is not a good thing. Basically a government's responsibility is about keeping its state as healthy as possible.
Yep, nothing like investigating miscarriages and "personhood" legislation for creating jobs. Too bad none of that concern continues on to ensure that the children they claim to be so concerned about grow up with a decent infrastructure, safe drinking water and an education system above that of developing countries. As for "elitism" dude, I'm a hillbilly from north Alabama. Nobody on the planet is less elite. I'm just disgusted by the way the people of the south, a region I love with ever fiber of my being, have sat back and let our asshat legislatures transform what was once a promising region into a Third Word Country ripe for exploitation by pretty much everybody.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:38 PM

369 posts, read 657,104 times
Quote:
Yep, nothing like investigating miscarriages and "personhood" legislation for creating jobs. Too bad none of that concern continues on to ensure that the children they claim to be so concerned about grow up with a decent infrastructure, safe drinking water and an education system above that of developing countries. As for "elitism" dude, I'm a hillbilly from north Alabama. Nobody on the planet is less elite. I'm just disgusted by the way the people of the south, a region I love with ever fiber of my being, have sat back and let our asshat legislatures transform what was once a promising region into a Third Word Country ripe for exploitation by pretty much everybody.
Ya that's pretty stupid I agree. But so are these laws from the very blue state of Maryland

Quote:
  • A woman may not go through her husband's pockets while he is sleeping.
  • Men may not buy drinks for female bartenders.
  • It is illegal to sell condoms from vending machines with one exception: prophylactics may be dispensed from a vending machine only "in places where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises."
  • Thistles may not grow in one's yard.
  • Eating while swimming in the ocean is prohibited.
  • In the entire state, it is illegal to give or receive oral sex.
You have to understand that trying to pass laws is like a form of masturbation for some of these politicians. Just like investigating miscarriages does nothing to create jobs, a county like Montgomery trying to pass anti-defense spending laws with no power at all when it's largest headquartered company is Lockheed Martin, does nothing but chase that company and jobs to the state across the river.

All in all I think it's a generation of politicians that are out of touch with reality. I also think attorneys should be banned from being politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta