Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 11:01 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,534,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Yeah... because a Wal-Mart would be so much different than The Dump, Target, Best Buy, etc. already in that area.

Some people just get extra butthurt over Wal-Mart.
You, like so many others, are not understanding the big picture. The other stores that are already there are not as sprawled out as this store would be, and have already been built. You can't do anything to stop something that's already there...we can work to change it for the future, but that's less of an issue than an entirely new entity steping in and trying to be some big spread out retailer, perhaps more so than the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,233,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
It's another big box, big parking lot suburban related store opening up in an area that is already half urban and trying to become more urban. The stores on Piedmont near Lindberg that already are a bit suburban are one story, but when you're trying to become more urban, how does adding a store that will be even more spread out than those and with even more parking to store ratio help the urban atmosphere? Traffic isn't the only issue here, even though I'm sure it must be annoying for some people travelling through there, it's also annoying for those of us who take a bus or the train there and want to walk to something and then only to have to walk through acres of parking space just to get to a store...if it does open I wouldn't bother going to it anyway.

I'm sorry you don't see it, but building a Walmart at Lindberg is sort of like building a 50 story tower in Hartwell, Ga.
I mean, like I said, I dont vote FOR or AGAINST. One side could say that due to the DUMP, TARGET and HD that the area already has already proven it can sustain large retailers in the area. The residents may want it due to the products and convenience a SuperWalmart would bring to that area. The other side may say the opposite; too mant large retailers...ect. To people who truly grew up in inner cities, walmart is not a suburban presence. Remember Walmart was not always Super Walmart. Maybe if it was built like the shops at Howell Mill it would be more appealing?? IDK. I actually own a place @ the EON and it really doesnt bother me either way. But then again I grew up in the inner city and my outlook on issues such as this may differ from others...Thats why I stated I was wondering why no one who owns near the Station chimed in.....

Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Quote:
You, like so many others, are not understanding the big picture. The other stores that are already there are not as sprawled out as this store would be, and have already been built. You can't do anything to stop something that's already there...we can work to change it for the future, but that's less of an issue than an entirely new entity steping in and trying to be some big spread out retailer, perhaps more so than the others.
The other stores are in areas zoned for commercial.

However, what they're trying to do at Lindbergh is put a big box/mega parking lot in an area zoned for high density residential.

Hard to figure why the city would approve that, since there are plenty of other parcels in the area that are zoned for commercial.

If there's some reason there absolutely must be another big box in the area, why not do it like they do in other cities, with retail on the first floor, parking below, and residential above?

Or at least do what the same developer is doing in Denver, with parking underneath?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
I could with the first image.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,534,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The other stores are in areas zoned for commercial.

However, what they're trying to do at Lindbergh is put a big box/mega parking lot in an area zoned for high density residential.

Hard to figure why the city would approve that, since there are plenty of other parcels in the area that are zoned for commercial.

If there's some reason there absolutely must be another big box in the area, why not do it like they do in other cities, with retail on the first floor, parking below, and residential above?

Or at least do what the same developer is doing in Denver, with parking underneath?
I agree with you completely, but as already stated before, Walmart's not going to do a whole lot more than what they have to or what makes business sense to them. What we need to find out is just how bad the WalMart wants to come into that area. If they want it badly enough that they're willing to construct a 3-5 story location with underground parking/limited surface parking then wonderful! By all means, let them start work on it today! IDC!

However...if they want to build ones like they do in 99% of their locations, where there's more parking than store, and it only covers one massive floor, then tell them to stay the hell away! I realize the economy isn't so great, but when did we become so desperate that we would just bend over backwards to get a Walmart, and then one that completely takes away from the area? Am I the only one who realizes what happens when you start selling your soul to the devil?

Old 09-05-2012, 09:34 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,338,889 times
Quote:
Am I the only one who realizes what happens when you start selling your soul to the devil?
Hyperbole much?

Here is a tip: If you want people to take your thoughts seriously, keep the discussion logical and forget the over the top ridiculousness.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:27 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,123,752 times
Quote:
That first pic does seem like a reasonable compromise: Wal-Mart can come in, yet mixed-use is preserved.

My question is whether Wal-Mart would be willing to accept that.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:41 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
That first pic does seem like a reasonable compromise: Wal-Mart can come in, yet mixed-use is preserved.

My question is whether Wal-Mart would be willing to accept that.
Don't they have to comply with the existing zoning and land use law? The law says high density residential only, not commercial or mixed use. It also says parking has to unobtrusive since the parcel is set aside for TOD.

You have to wonder why the city wouldn't just stand its ground. There's plenty of other property around there that's zoned for commercial and mixed use.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:12 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,123,752 times
Quote:
Don't they have to comply with the existing zoning and land use law? The law says high density residential only, not commercial or mixed use. It also says parking has to unobtrusive since the parcel is set aside for TOD.

You have to wonder why the city wouldn't just stand its ground. There's plenty of other property around there that's zoned for commercial and mixed use.

Hey, it's Walmart. They have corporate lobbyists and are not afraid to use them.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:17 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,288,552 times
Yep. And add to that an apathetic citizenry, and you have a recipe for a fully cooked Wal-Mart with a huge parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Hey, it's Walmart. They have corporate lobbyists and are not afraid to use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta