Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:24 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Bear this in mind- one of the main reasons that the Atlanta metro was able to grow like it did was because of the availability of "cheap homes". Not everyone wants to live in small, old homes in "up and coming" areas, so if that's all that was available, Atlanta would be nothing like it is today.

Ohh....so when someone else wants "the rest of the taxpayers" to pay for what they want, it's a bad thing, but when you want the taxpayers to foot the bill for MARTA escalator maintenance, or for a Clifton Corridor line that 99.9 % of the population will never use, it's "sometimes we have to do things for the greater good of the overall region". Interesting......

Perhaps, perhaps not- could be the old "what came first- the chicken or the egg" concept. But consider this- if, 10-15 years in the future there was suddenly the wonderful rail system that you envision, linking every part of the metro area and allowing the construction of the "transit-oriented development" that you so often tout, what do you think would happen to the home values in your neighborhood? You claim that the values there are improving because millenials want to live close to transit- so what would happen when the millenials could now find a nicer, newer, less expensive home near a transit station in Cobb, or Cherokee, or wherever, where they didn't have to worry about waiting for the neighborhood and schools to improve? Think about that for a bit, and you might find that you'll want to be careful what you wish for......
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Please tell me where does it lead, that it warrants a 4 lane freeway? Ball Ground?
Isn't that where the prestigious Hawks Ridge Golf Club is! On their website they say it is just north of Atlanta! More like north of Atlanta's exurbs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 05:37 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
NYC is still expensive and you can take Metro-North to Westchester and Fairfield Counties, PATH to NJ, and Long Island Rail Road to Long Island.
Yes, you sure can- as long as you don't mind a 2-hour door-to-door commute, which isn't very uncommon up there. When I lived in NJ, I knew tons of people who did that every day, and thought nothing of it, and yet we've got people complaining about 30-45 minute commutes here.....

Old 07-10-2012, 06:51 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Perhaps, perhaps not- could be the old "what came first- the chicken or the egg" concept. But consider this- if, 10-15 years in the future there was suddenly the wonderful rail system that you envision, linking every part of the metro area and allowing the construction of the "transit-oriented development" that you so often tout, what do you think would happen to the home values in your neighborhood? You claim that the values there are improving because millenials want to live close to transit- so what would happen when the millenials could now find a nicer, newer, less expensive home near a transit station in Cobb, or Cherokee, or wherever, where they didn't have to worry about waiting for the neighborhood and schools to improve? Think about that for a bit, and you might find that you'll want to be careful what you wish for......
How do you know my transit plan for metro Atlanta? https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...3e9e7b1f&msa=0 I have no rail to Cherokee County because I know they do not want it, so why cram transit down their throats? I just want everyone to have a stress-free commute and spend more time with their families at home, and lower the amount of air pollution. I think that expanding transit will not decrease the lure on intown neighborhoods, look at Grant Park or Va-HA, they are nowhere near a rail line, but are very sought after.
Quote:
yet we've got people complaining about 30-45 minute commutes here.....
People will complain about anything.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
How do you know my transit plan for metro Atlanta? https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...3e9e7b1f&msa=0 I have no rail to Cherokee County because I know they do not want it, so why cram transit down their throats? I just want everyone to have a stress-free commute and spend more time with their families at home, and lower the amount of air pollution. I think that expanding transit will not decrease the lure on intown neighborhoods, look at Grant Park or Va-HA, they are nowhere near a rail line, but are very sought after.
I'm curious about the bolded section. People talk about lowering commute times, as if taking the train to work somehow takes your commute time down dramatically. You've stated in the past that you take a bus to the train (or vice versa) and then ride a bike the rest of the way to the office- if you don't mind, what the total distance you travel, and the total time from your front door to your desk?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
if you don't mind, what the total distance you travel, and the total time from your front door to your desk?
Total miles: 19.88 miles https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.8...45976&t=m&z=12
Time: 45 minutes, door-to-door.
I would have to travel through very congested areas to get to work. Drove it 1 time, during Christmas holiday with light traffic. It took the same amount of time.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I would have to travel through very congested areas to get to work. Drove it 1 time, during Christmas holiday with light traffic. It took the same amount of time.
So your 20 mile commute takes about the same amount of time as my 35 mile commute, yet somehow transit results is a less stressful commute and allows more time with the family. Interesting......

Old 07-10-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
So your 20 mile commute takes about the same amount of time as my 35 mile commute, yet somehow transit results is a less stressful commute and allows more time with the family. Interesting......
YES, I can sleep, read a book, do work while riding the train anything than have to concentrate of driving and watch out for the idiot Atlanta drivers. Also, my wife rides with me so that's an extra 1 hour a day I get to spend with her. Plus the amount of money I save on gas, car maintenance, and car insurance is staggering.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:24 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
YES, I can sleep, read a book, do work while riding the train anything than have to concentrate of driving and watch out for the idiot Atlanta drivers. Also, my wife rides with me so that's an extra 1 hour a day I get to spend with her. Plus the amount of money I save on gas, car maintenance, and car insurance is staggering.
This. There are far, far more advantages of using transit than just saving a few bucks on gas.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Years ago Walter Williams posed the question on a radio show; "How many persons did it take to get that bunch of bananas from the field to the store shelf?"

Walter E. Williams - Conservative Columnist and Political Commentator

If you think about it, it does relate to the topic of this thread.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:03 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Yuck. Mine is 7.8 miles, and perhaps 15 minutes from door to door (counts walking across a large parking ramp and using two elevators).

I would hate a 45 minute commute each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta