Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How are you voting on TSPLOST ?
Yes,voting in favor of 52 64.20%
No, voting against 29 35.80%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:40 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times

Advertisements

Yes. Itp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 05:40 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Could you all post if you live itp or otp and if u voted yes or no so we can see if more votes are coming from one particular area
Do you really need people to post that info? If you can't figure out what the answer is already, you haven't been paying attention.....

Old 07-10-2012, 02:38 PM

410 posts, read 432,628 times
voting yes

Old 07-10-2012, 03:02 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
Many people fear that the 1 percent tax will never end and will automatically be extended as politicians see fit like they did with the GA-400 tolls. But, this tax cannot be extended without another vote from the public, It automatically expires after 10 years unless the financial goals are fulfilled before the 10 year period.
I've never heard that point made, but I guess people can be as confused on the side of opposition as are some of the supporters. I agree that you should read and understand the proposed projects and the law.

If you are fair, let's not forget that some supporters of the plan are using generalities and innuendo in their support. No one has quantified what impact these projects will actually have in an effort to "untie the knot" or even that there actually is a "knot" to be untied and where. Saying that Atlanta ranks as being one of the worst for traffic or saying things like you can't drive more than "10mph on I-285" just aren't true or helpful, and they don't explain to me how a $3 million control tower or a $600 million express bus project that won't be completed for almost 10 years will "untie the knot." How many cars per day will the $600 million take off of I-575 or I-75 or I-285? Can anyone say?

If we plan to tax the citizens for 10 years and collect billions of dollars, the plan must be more coherent. Doing "something" isn't good enough for me.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:08 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I've never heard that point made, but I guess people can be as confused on the side of opposition as are some of the supporters. I agree that you should read and understand the proposed projects and the law.

If you are fair, let's not forget that some supporters of the plan are using generalities and innuendo in their support. No one has quantified what impact these projects will actually have in an effort to "untie the knot" or even that there actually is a "knot" to be untied and where. Saying that Atlanta ranks as being one of the worst for traffic or saying things like you can't drive more than "10mph on I-285" just aren't true or helpful, and they don't explain to me how a $3 million control tower or a $600 million express bus project that won't be completed for almost 10 years will "untie the knot." How many cars per day will the $600 million take off of I-575 or I-75 or I-285? Can anyone say?

If we plan to tax the citizens for 10 years and collect billions of dollars, the plan must be more coherent. Doing "something" isn't good enough for me.
Really? so 85/285 interchange, that ranks among the worst bottlenecks in America, is not a knot? What about 400/285, also ranked among worst bottlenecks? And of course the outdated 20/285 west interchange, that forces trucks to slow down on a very tight curve causing numerous rear-end collisions on I-20 eastbound.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:25 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Really? so 85/285 interchange, that ranks among the worst bottlenecks in America, is not a knot? What about 400/285, also ranked among worst bottlenecks? And of course the outdated 20/285 west interchange, that forces trucks to slow down on a very tight curve causing numerous rear-end collisions on I-20 eastbound.
The 675/75 convergence also needs work, that bottleneck is horrible in heavy traffic.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:07 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No one is saying that some of the individual projects slated aren't worthwhile. The key is looking at what percentage of the total they comprise and how much money they actually represent.

The GA 400 project is definitely worthwhile, and in fact $357 million is already earmarked in federal funds, and the state investment is roughly $112 million. The spaghetti junction project is $26 million and has matching federal funds committed. So that means that the state could invest roughly $140 million and get more than half a billion worth of work done and address two of the key concerns. The I-20 interchange also has matching federal funds allocated and would require $150 million of local funds.

So that's $290 million out of $8 billion.....next?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

I wish some people do Georgia a favor and just move to Alabama. It's funny how many metros across the cross country have approve referendums I guess folks don't understand Atlanta is at competition. Dude there have been several links and videos posted addressing what you just said there nothing general about. Want to know why it's important to pay for something that can take up to 10 years because voting no means if could take up to over 20 years. That would make Atlanta behind so now leaders 10 years from now will be trying to pay not only for newer projects then but will still be trying to pay for projects they could been working on. And your really using the Argument from silence fallacy I pretty sure there were some folks who spoke to Hartsfield saying don't built the airport we don't know will it become popular and etc.

But lets not play games the Argument from silence is the absence of evidence to argue. If I played back the Argument from ignorance which is the opposite the lack of evidence to the contrary. But If I was to fall for a fallacy it would the appeal to accomplishment to most business leaders believing voting yes is the right way to go.

Let's be real anything that say taxes your going to dislike anyway and try to find a excuse not to like it. I notice everything that bring up taxes for something good it's the same opposition argument to everything. You know cause the government mismanage everything or everything is not need right? it's the same arguments every time. Like if some one is against food stamps they have to be against the transportation vote also.

So lets look at it, Vote no for a 1 cents sale tax for 10 years and do nothing while most metros move ahead. Also Individuals are charge a penny sale takes a large collective over 10 years would add up over billions how the individual will feel nothing. Unless your actually upset over being tax a penny? And if you feel the list is bad then Atlanta won't be as competitive but voting no it's basically saying we shouldn't even try let sit on our hand. Because if you vote no that what we are going to be doing sitting on are hand. There nothing positive coming out voting no for this, in fact it will delay everything. If you don't like the list voting no will make what you want come even slower, because what you vote no for is still what come first.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:15 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
I could not have presented this argument any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I wish some people do Georgia a favor and just move to Alabama. It's funny how many metros across the cross country have approve referendums I guess folks don't understand Atlanta is at competition. Dude there have been several links and videos posted addressing what you just said there nothing general about. Want to know why it's important to pay for something that can take up to 10 years because voting no means if could take up to over 20 years. That would make Atlanta behind so now leaders 10 years from now will be trying to pay not only for newer projects then but will still be trying to pay for projects they could been working on. And your really using the Argument from silence fallacy I pretty sure there were some folks who spoke to Hartsfield saying don't built the airport we don't know will it become popular and etc.

But lets not play games the Argument from silence is the absence of evidence to argue. If I played back the Argument from ignorance which is the opposite the lack of evidence to the contrary. But If I was to fall for a fallacy it would the appeal to accomplishment to most business leaders believing voting yes is the right way to go.

Let's be real anything that say taxes your going to dislike anyway and try to find a excuse not to like it. I notice everything that bring up taxes for something good it's the same opposition argument to everything. You know cause the government mismanage everything or everything is not need right? it's the same arguments every time. Like if some one is against food stamps they have to be against the transportation vote also.

So lets look at it, Vote no for a 1 cents sale tax for 10 years and do nothing while most metros move ahead. Also Individuals are charge a penny sale takes a large collective over 10 years would add up over billions how the individual will feel nothing. Unless your actually upset over being tax a penny? And if you feel the list is bad then Atlanta won't be as competitive but voting no it's basically saying we shouldn't even try let sit on our hand. Because if you vote no that what we are going to be doing sitting on are hand. There nothing positive coming out voting no for this, in fact it will delay everything. If you don't like the list voting no will make what you want come even slower, because what you vote no for is still what come first.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:32 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
So that's $290 million out of $8 billion.....next?
What's next, you want to attack the transit? The BeltLine will absorb a lot of new growth and help spread tourist money around the city. Clifton Corridor, one of the highest concentrations of high paying jobs in the metro with a lot of congestion. There is no way to solve that congestion without building transit. It will also go along way in attracting more talent to Emory. Cobb/NW line, when Cobb gets their act together and decides what technology will be on the corridor, then we can judge that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta