Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:08 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,572,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
My issue is how is that over a dozen other American cities can pull it off yet when it comes
To Atlanta...the argument is always about the freight trains and such...make a deal
With them, build the additional tracks needed and get on with it already...Chicago freight sytem is the most congested and busiest in the country and they manage multiple Train stations and somethin like 300 pasenger trains a day in addition to the Multiple Amtrak routes..so ur saying we cant even implement a Rush hoir based rail service with a few trains to/fro? If Nashville,Sante Fe,Austin which are waaaay smaller than atlanta can pull it off then we can too!...
It's not fair to compare the ATL to other cities when it comes to passenger rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 06:17 AM

175 posts, read 234,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's not fair to compare the ATL to other cities when it comes to passenger rail.
And thats Ur argument? Why cant we compare Atlanta to others?...I think Chicago is perfect to match atlanta against..as far as rail goes...both cities have major freight services that all started roughly about the same time..Excecpt Chicago knew what to do and is why it is the sucessful
City that it is today...meanwhile us good ol boys down here still playin catchup to something thats literally been in front of us te entire time...if ur gonna knock what im sayin ...Then back it up wit some
Facts ...

Old 07-17-2012, 06:46 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Quote:
I see this theory thrown around often, as if it's just a matter of putting a train on those tracks and selling tickets.

a) The majority of the tracks your talking about are owned by companies that still use them for freight, and aren't about to just hand over the use of the tracks to the state, the city, or MARTA.

b) They're freight tracks, and aren't necessarily maintained to the same standards as commuter rail, so even if you got access to them, they'd need plenty of work to make them viable for commuter rail.

c) Most of the lines are single tracks- commuter rail needs two sets of tracks to work, which requires additional right of way, which isn't always the easiest thing to acquire. In many areas, there are buildings, roads, etc., built pretty close to the existing tracks, so it not like you just drop another set of tracks next to the existing line.

d) There are literally hundreds of at-grade crossings that would have to be dealt with. It's one thing to have the gate arms drop once a day (or less) when a freight train goes through- it's another entirely when the arms are dropping every 10 minutes for a commuter train.

While it'd still be easier than starting from scratch, but implementing commuter rail on these lines isn't as easy as you like to make it sound.
a) MARTA can't operate outside of Fulton and DeKalb Counties.
b) Give Commuter trains priority during rush hours, other than those times freight has priority.
c) Most of the tracks have enough ROW for future double tracks, they planned ahead and bought the extra land when it was cheap.
d) Most of the crossing in the City of Atlanta are grade-separated, The CSX tracks east from downtown are entirely grade-separated until Decatur. Sams Crossing sucks, but I think we can inconvenience a couple dozen cars to move a couple hundred people via a more efficient way of travel, rail. It might even go far enough to discourage single car use and encourage more people to ride Commuter Rail.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:02 AM

175 posts, read 234,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
a) MARTA can't operate outside of Fulton and DeKalb Counties.
b) Give Commuter trains priority during rush hours, other than those times freight has priority.
c) Most of the tracks have enough ROW for future double tracks, they planned ahead and bought the extra land when it was cheap.
d) Most of the crossing in the City of Atlanta are grade-separated, The CSX tracks east from downtown are entirely grade-separated until Decatur. Sams Crossing sucks, but I think we can inconvenience a couple dozen cars to move a couple hundred people via a more efficient way of travel, rail. It might even go far enough to discourage single car use and encourage more people to ride Commuter Rail.
Well said Cq...At least someone hear has a vision and not closeminded!

Old 07-17-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Well said Cq...At least someone hear has a vision and not closeminded!
I live in Atlanta and use MARTA everyday. I know the importance of mass transit in a major metropolitan area.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,136,721 times
Quote:
I live in Atlanta and use MARTA everyday. I know the importance of mass transit in a major metropolitan area.
Yes, so you're not "closeminded" like the rest of us who are "stupid" and drive to work close to home, or like me, work from home. I use less energy than you do every day for my commute. Maybe everyone should build a home office and not be an energy hog like you? We could pass a tax...$8 billion divided by 5 million...hmmmm.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I use less energy than you do every day for my commute.
Why are you attacking me neil? I never said those things and I never put down how anyone else commutes. And you do use more energy than me to commute. Mass transit is the most efficient way to commute plus I ride my bike 1.5 miles from the station to work. My wife and I together use a whole lot less energy to get to work. So next time you take a deep breath, you can thank me for helping keep the air clean.
Direct your attacks at the right person, because I never said anything about 'stupid' or closeminded.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:46 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,136,721 times
Quote:
Why are you attacking me neil? I never said those things and I never put down how anyone else commutes. And you do use more energy than me to commute. Mass transit is the most efficient way to commute plus I ride my bike 1.5 miles from the station to work. My wife and I together use a whole lot less energy to get to work. So next time you take a deep breath, you can thank me for helping keep the air clean.
Direct your attacks at the right person, because I never said anything about 'stupid' or closeminded.
Not attacking you, just a little tongue in cheek, and pointing out that my commute DOES use less than yours. I walk 30 feet to my office, with a stop for coffee. That's pretty energy efficient, maybe 10 calories worth?

So...my point being that maybe more companies (who are concerned about traffic here and in other places), and more of the people who want to build monuments to commuting might want to invest in the 21st century and look at ways to use technology to eliminate commuting completely. It works for many suburban residents, and many urban ones too. No commute is the best commute.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Not attacking you, just a little tongue in cheek, and pointing out that my commute DOES use less than yours. I walk 30 feet to my office, with a stop for coffee. That's pretty energy efficient, maybe 10 calories worth?
So you are only looking at how much energy, calories, YOU use, not how much energy your commute consumes. Again your selfishness comes out in your post. Next time keep your tongue in check comments in you mouth.
Quote:
So...my point being that maybe more companies (who are concerned about traffic here and in other places), and more of the people who want to build monuments to commuting might want to invest in the 21st century and look at ways to use technology to eliminate commuting completely. It works for many suburban residents, and many urban ones too. No commute is the best commute
Won't happen, too many companies are stuck in a 20th century mind set of its employees. I ran all the phones, by myself, for the ice storm week, allowing everyone else to work from home. It worked out just fine. But the bosses still wanted people to make attempts to drive on ice because if they can't see what you are doing while working, then you must be screwing off.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:12 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,294,616 times
Quote:
So you are only looking at how much energy, calories, YOU use, not how much energy your commute consumes. Again your selfishness comes out in your post. Next time keep your tongue in check comments in you mouth.
Are you paying attention? His "commute" consists of a 30-foot walk to his home office, so the total energy his "commute" uses is the calories he expends on the walk. Where's the "selfishness" in his post???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta