Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 03:49 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times

Advertisements

which is the best and why? i know you're wondering why i left out WSB. i know they have the best weather coverage because they have their own doppler radar, but i've hated them ever since i was little because of their nonstop sensationalist murder-and-mayhem reporting, getting every murder and rape on the air, "flesh eating bacteria", anybody remember the string of news stories in the 90s that had everybody worried all the time? first it was menengitis, then it was the ebola virus. they followed that one quickly up with west nile virus, and it was about that time that i was old enough to realize they were trying to get people scared enough to keep watching.

at the same time, their coverage of pretty much everything else is lacklustre to the point that it's ridiculous. new skyscrapers going up, the atlanta beltline, the project list for T-SPLOST, ponce city market, all the things that ACTUALLY affect our lives here in the atlanta area are left out because they don't get people upset. watching WSB is like wall-to-wall stress. in addition, as time goes on their news has gotten to where it almost exclusively caters to suburbanites, a lot like WSB.

so, i'm left with the three other channels. how is their news? any better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 04:07 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
I honestly don't see the difference in any of the local news networks here in Atlanta. All of them to one extent or another seem to cater to folks who need a reason to stockpile their house with weaponry like they are a militia or something. And unfortunately those folks along with the old heads are the only people who watch television news these days apparently, and the local Atlanta networks know it and cater heavily to that audience.

But as a side note, one TV station I definitely don't care for is Fox 5. Their news channel is nothing more than a miniature version of the Cable news network FOX.

It seems like every "breaking news" story Fox 5 has is about something that goes on in Washington D.C. or a "news conference" held by some douchebag politician out in the boonies on why they hate liberals. Fox 5 is a local station and should keep the news local as far as I'm concerned, doggone it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
which is the best and why? i know you're wondering why i left out WSB. i know they have the best weather coverage because they have their own doppler radar, but i've hated them ever since i was little because of their nonstop sensationalist murder-and-mayhem reporting, getting every murder and rape on the air, "flesh eating bacteria", anybody remember the string of news stories in the 90s that had everybody worried all the time? first it was menengitis, then it was the ebola virus. they followed that one quickly up with west nile virus, and it was about that time that i was old enough to realize they were trying to get people scared enough to keep watching.

at the same time, their coverage of pretty much everything else is lacklustre to the point that it's ridiculous. new skyscrapers going up, the atlanta beltline, the project list for T-SPLOST, ponce city market, all the things that ACTUALLY affect our lives here in the atlanta area are left out because they don't get people upset. watching WSB is like wall-to-wall stress. in addition, as time goes on their news has gotten to where it almost exclusively caters to suburbanites, a lot like WSB.

so, i'm left with the three other channels. how is their news? any better?

Old 07-09-2012, 08:02 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
All those news stations never report on anything good going on in the City of Atlanta. They all cater towards the suburban viewers and make Atlanta and Clayton County to be a crime-ridden place. None of them have dedicated a lot of time to the TIA, they just mention it in passing.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:17 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
I prefer, Fox 5. 11 Alive is ok but you can see, they cut back on the resources in the last few years. I do appreciate when they go in depth on a story though. It's not all blood and gloom on their newscast as well. CBS 46 is ok but the turnover is high.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:30 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,673 times
On a sidenote, I do miss seeing Suchita Vadlamani on Fox 5. She was practically the only reason I watched that nonsensical station.

Oh well....

Old 07-10-2012, 07:49 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
It still disorients me everytime I go home that all the stations have flip flopped their network alliances. 2 should still be NBC, 5 CBS and 11 ABC. Fox, as the newcomer, should be on one of the old UHF channels.

Yes, I am dating myself. I reckon after a certain number of birthdays you turn into an old fart that doesn't like change.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:58 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
I stick with WSB because they 1)have the best towercam view of the skyline and 2) have the best graphics/colors.

11 Alive's graphics are too busy with too many typefaces, and the wizometer stuff looks horrible.

Fox 5's weather graphics are cheesy and tacky looking.

CBS Atlanta is decent, but it comes across as low budget.

I don't like how Karen Minton presents the forecast. She nevers shows or talks about weather around the nation or at least the southeast. She's always locked in on a close up of North Georgia and only shows a futurecast for the day. And WSB needs to graduate to a 7 day forecast

Old 07-10-2012, 07:05 PM

630 posts, read 1,264,971 times
Graphics actually are pretty important. They're the most important complement to the news content. I'd agree with the above analysis. Although to me Fox 5 graphics look the cheapest.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:53 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Regardless of the network or the local affiliate, the number 1 rule in broadcast journalism is-

IF IT BLEEDS, IT LEADS!

Every local news broadcast is not going to appease every person. It's a matter of choosing the lessor 4 evils.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:18 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
I like CBS' Markina Brown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: