Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:43 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times

Advertisements

I agree the execution was great. Allowing reentry, pricing not through the roof for food and drink, good selection of food on sale (I had Fox Bros also--extremely good sandwich), and the crowd was a good size in relation to the size of the festival area. Easy to move around, but also enough people that it really felt like a massive event. The layout of stages, sale items, and bathrooms was also good.

Far and away the biggest annoyance was cell phones not working, but as a Midtown resident I'm used to that during big festivals. It just makes planning a lot harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 10:44 AM

19 posts, read 31,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It was awesome. Major win for Atlanta, judging by the success, I'm sure it will be done again next year. Things I noticed about Music Midtown:

1) I don't know when festival planners finally learned, but everything was done right. Plent of port-o-potties, a huge variety of food choices from great local restaurants (I had Fox Bros.) and everything was priced reasonably, bottled water was only $3, there was plenty of free water too, there was plenty of space to walk around. It seems like the days of $15 carnival food and $7 bottles of water are long gone, and good riddance to them. They even had portable ATMs, clearly marked exits, and you were allowed to bring in outside water (so long as it was still sealed). I also saw one tent that was like a little drug store, where you could buy aspirin, Skittles, even toilet paper. Exit and re-entry was also allowed. Great job by the organizers on all this.

2) This was one of the whitest crowds I have ever seen in Atlanta. Even though T.I. and Ludacris were performing, I barely saw any black people. Even if there were no hip hop artists, I still would have expected that Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, etc. would have a certain number of non-white fans. The crowd was so white it was almost unsettling. I felt like I was in Wyoming or something. Maybe one of our black posters can explain this....do black people not like music festivals? Do they hate Pearl Jam so much they would not go see Ludacris just because they were there? I really can't figure out why everyone there was white. There were hardly any Hispanics or Asians there either. I would say that less than 2% of the crowd was not European descended Caucasian. And that's liberal, it was probably more like less than 1%.

3) Once again, driving was more efficient than taking MARTA. Yesterday I left a bit early and said what the heck, I'm going to try parking, knowing that I had enough time to drive to a MARTA station if I couldn't. I immediately found a place to park. Then after the show, I got right out. So I did the same thing tonight with the same results, straight in and straight out, no muss, no fuss. What was striking was last night I left at the same time as a friend who parked at Dunwoody and took MARTA. We left the show at the same time. By the time he texted me and told me he was at the Dunwoody MARTA station, I had already driven home to Gwinnett county, showered, and was going to bed. Apparently, MARTA was so jammed you had to wait for a couple of trains to come and go before you could actually get on one. Another friend told me that 10th street was absolutely horrible, but as long as you know where to park and how to get in and out of the park only using Piedmont or Monroe, there was no problem at all.

I can't wait to see who is on the line-up next year.
Black people have broad tastes in music and don't just show up to events becuase "hey there are rappers there dawg".

Ludacris and T.I. like most huge rappers have way more white fans then anything.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:43 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Quote:
Black people have broad tastes in music
That's what I thought, too! Apparently, not many have tastes that include Joan Jett, Foo Fighters, Neon Trees, Pearl Jaml, Florence & The Machine, or Adam Ant. I would have thought that even without TI and Ludacris some black fans of rock would have shown up. I know they're out there.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:58 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Yup, I was one of those "rare" black people there and still had fun.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:20 PM

924 posts, read 1,455,881 times
Overall I liked it but I did think there weren't enough port-o-potties Friday night. I parked at Lindbergh and took Marta and it actually worked pretty well. I did walk to the back of the park at about 10:50 and walked very quickly down 10th street as soon as they stopped playing. I got into the station and a train was there already and I got on and actually had a seat for my 2 stops and it wasn't crowded at all. I am sure if I had stayed up front until the end that it would have sucked though.

I do wish it was in the spring so it doesn't keep interfering with college football but oh well.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
That's what I thought, too! Apparently, not many have tastes that include Joan Jett, Foo Fighters, Neon Trees, Pearl Jaml, Florence & The Machine, or Adam Ant. I would have thought that even without TI and Ludacris some black fans of rock would have shown up. I know they're out there.
I don't personly know white or black people who like bro band like those. Yuk.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
There are at least 50,000 people who don't agree with you.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:19 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoapres View Post
I don't think you know what a bro band is. Pearl Jam? Foo Fighters? Florence & The Machine? Joan Jett and Adam Ant?? Yeah, no.

Some of those aren't even bands. I don't think you know very much about music

Old 09-23-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
I don't think you know what a bro band is. Pearl Jam? Foo Fighters? Florence & The Machine? Joan Jett and Adam Ant?? Yeah, no.

Some of those aren't even bands. I don't think you know very much about music

Yes, all the cool the people "in the know" with music are listening to Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters.

Yeah, man you know your music.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, all the cool the people "in the know" with music are listening to Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters
The point of Music Midtown is to fill Piedmont Park with people. That means that thousands of tickets have to be sold.

The "cool" people "in the know" are listening to bands that have trouble selling out the Earl or Variety Playhouse.

I just don't get some people. Joan Jett and Pearl Jam are seminal performers. When I was a douchebag college student young 20-something year old, bands like Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones, and Aerosmith weren't considered "cool" anymore. But everybody who knew anything about music certainly understood the relevance of them and would definitely see them perform if given the chance.

That's why nobody likes hipsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta