Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 06:56 AM

19 posts, read 31,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Hmm, this week, Grimes is playing a tiny venue in Hudson, NY, a club in Boston with a max of 1000 people, a club in Philly with a max of 1000 people, and a shoe building in Baltimore?

Neon Indian only has one date in the middle of October in Mexico, so I'm not even sure how big his/its tour dates are.

Either way, I don't see either of those two headlining a major music festival of nearly 60,000 attendees in Atlanta that is not a hipster, underground style festival, which is NOT what Music Midtown is. And seeing the crowds at Music Midtown, I don't think they are going to change their plan any time soon...it seemed to work.

One place the two bands you listed might fit in better is at the Counter.Point Festival next weekend way out in the sticks to the west of Atlanta. Looks like a bunch of industrial, electronica, hipster-style bands. I've never heard of most of them.
Counterpoint is a EDM festival.

Most of those artists are DJs/producers, not bands and if you have never heard of Skrillex or Acivii I don't know where you have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:07 AM

For all people who don't think the park can't be filled if more alternative music is added check out lolapalooza's line-up this year that filled Grant Park in Chicago.

Lollapalooza

Also Banaroo which fills up a farm.

Bonnaroo

Then you got coachella

http://www.coachella.com/lineup/grid/alphabetical/all

And

SXSW
http://www.thespacelab.tv/spaceLAB/t...Music-2012.htm

Doesn't have to be 100% indie/alternative but Midtown Music's mentality is the reason radio sucks.

Last edited by Hoapres; 09-24-2012 at 07:58 AM..

Old 09-24-2012, 07:34 AM

284 posts, read 590,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoapres View Post
Counterpoint is a EDM festival.

Most of those artists are DJs/producers, not bands and if you have never heard of Skrillex or Acivii I don't know where you have been.
Yeah, you don't have to spend a weekend at Counterpoint or Electric Zoo in NYC to be cool...you can just watch a Buick commercial to hear some Avicii!

Glad to hear so many people enjoyed MM this year--I've just not been into huge concerts in my middle age haha and not really any acts in the lineup to warrant my interest being there/seeing them for a few songs- both Joan Jett & Adam Ant are incredible, glad to see them back for those who haven't had a chance to see their live show. I have gone to previous festivals when I lived in midtown (I remember Willie Nelson & Bob Dylan killed it!, and seeing Lou Reed and Doug E. Fresh were big checks off the old bucketlist!) back when there were multiple stages over 2 days with different radio stations associated with a specific genre. However it was always a cluster as there were wayyyy too many people in too many places, and it was hard to see all the acts because some would overlap each other's times. And then there was the year it was down by At least having a central location makes it logistically manageable, plus people aren't prone to just hang at the "country" stage or the "hiphop" stage. The In/Out tickets are HUGE, too, especially if you live nearby and need a break from the crowd.

I wonder how the park itself fared? I know for several years big events were moved from Piedmont due to the condition of the grounds post-drought. Hopefully the turf held up!

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
In the 90s I was into Ministry, Skinny Puppy, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Lords of Acid, KMFDM... .
If you were in Atlanta, you and I must have certainly crossed paths / patent leather boots at the many amazing shows these acts did (often together on various bills- Skinny Puppy's new year show was one of the most incredible special FX shows ever!) Heaven/Masquerade.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:49 AM

924 posts, read 1,455,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoapres View Post
For all people who don't think the park can't be filled if more alternative music is added check out lolapalooza's line-up this year that filled Grant Park in Chicago.

Lollapalooza

Also Banaroo which fills up a desert.

Bonnaroo

Doesn't have to be 100% indie/alternative but Midtown Music's mentality is the reason radio sucks.
I didn't realize a farm in central Tennessee was the desert.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
I didn't realize a farm in central Tennessee was the desert.
Haha my bad.

I actually meant to post Coachella.

Coachella | Lineup

Bonaroo is a good example though.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:14 AM

164 posts, read 375,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
I'm not going to get in on the whole cool vs. uncool thing because I think its pretty pointless. My taste in music is my own. I'm not trying to impress anyone.

Here's my top 10 takeaways from MM this year.
  1. The music was great - I had a blast!
  2. Shirley Manson is a goddess
  3. Joan Jett is some kind of bad a$$
  4. I'm exhausted
  5. I thouroughly enjoyed myself. At one point during PJ's set I turned around and looked at the skyline and could see the throng of people and thought that two visuals mixed together was really beautiful
  6. I met some fantastic people and some not so fantastic people
  7. The MARTA was ridiculous on Friday (didn't take it back on Saturday but heard the same) but it was still better than trying to find parking when you're not familiar with the area
  8. There needed to be more porta potties
  9. Food choices were great. I still managed to get something healthy and as someone who watches what she eats I really appreciated it
  10. A fantastic weekend and I'll be back next year. Atlanta you never cease to make me happy when I visit.

I had a great time as well although I only went on Saturday. Florence + The Machines were my fav. Planning to download their songs on itunes.

Also enjoyed Pearl Jam, Neon Trees, Garbage, and Civil Twilight... Ludacris was also entertaining even though rap music is not something I tend to enjoy.

Girl Talk was terrible, and I did not really care for Adam Ant... but the older crowd loved him.

I have to agree that they need to double the porta-potties. The lines were backed up by the late evening.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:51 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Quote:
They have waaaaaaaay more bands than Music Midtown. But the actual headliners are no more alternative. RHCP, Black Keys, Jack White and Black Sabbath aren't any more alternative than the Foo Fighters or Pearl Jam. Florence & The Machine is on both bills.

Quote:
Also Banaroo which fills up a farm.
And another horrible example. Like Lollapalooza before it, Bonaroo strayed entirely from its true hippy roots to include commercial headliners. RHCP and the Beach Boys? Yeah, that's soooooooooooooooo alternative!!!!! Again, you've got crossover with Music Midtown with the Avett Brothers and Ludacris, so there you go.

Music Midtown is a mainstream music festival designed to draw people to Piedmont Park for a weekend. It's never been advertised as an alternative music festival, but for a mainstream festival, it does cast a fairly wide net with the acts it books. This year was also a bit of an experiment. I bet they get some higher priced talent next time seeing what a success it was, but I hope they don't try to pack more stages into the park because it was nice to have a little elbow room.

I was also concerned about the sod, but it looks like it held up pretty well. Had it rained and people started walking around in mud, it would have been in more trouble. But that Bermuda is a tough grass, and it looks like it did fine.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
They have waaaaaaaay more bands than Music Midtown. But the actual headliners are no more alternative. RHCP, Black Keys, Jack White and Black Sabbath aren't any more alternative than the Foo Fighters or Pearl Jam. Florence & The Machine is on both bills.

And another horrible example. Like Lollapalooza before it, Bonaroo strayed entirely from its true hippy roots to include commercial headliners. RHCP and the Beach Boys? Yeah, that's soooooooooooooooo alternative!!!!! Again, you've got crossover with Music Midtown with the Avett Brothers and Ludacris, so there you go.

Music Midtown is a mainstream music festival designed to draw people to Piedmont Park for a weekend. It's never been advertised as an alternative music festival, but for a mainstream festival, it does cast a fairly wide net with the acts it books. This year was also a bit of an experiment. I bet they get some higher priced talent next time seeing what a success it was, but I hope they don't try to pack more stages into the park because it was nice to have a little elbow room.

I was also concerned about the sod, but it looks like it held up pretty well. Had it rained and people started walking around in mud, it would have been in more trouble. But that Bermuda is a tough grass, and it looks like it did fine.
The point is that the festivals dont just focus on top 40 or super mainstream acts regardless of genre. You can have mainstream and top 40 to draw a crowd and those festivals are very diverse but Midtown only focused on that.

Having more stages like it used too may allow that. Having top 40 rap artist with 90s post grunge isn't the kind of "diversity" I'm taking about.

Last edited by Hoapres; 09-24-2012 at 11:38 AM..

Old 09-24-2012, 11:28 AM

3,707 posts, read 5,982,315 times
The festival was very successful and popular. Everybody seemed to be having a great time. Why are people complaining?

Nobody is stopping you from making a competing festival at the location of your choosing. But the goal of the organizers is to make money, and I'd venture they came out just fine the way Music Midtown was.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
The festival was very successful and popular. Everybody seemed to be having a great time. Why are people complaining?

Nobody is stopping you from making a competing festival at the location of your choosing. But the goal of the organizers is to make money, and I'd venture they came out just fine the way Music Midtown was.
I'm hearing about how this used to have multiple stages.

If venture they would make more money and have more people "having fun" with a more diverse line-up.

The "make money" argument is why radio sucks.

Weren't some people complaining about the local radio on here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta