Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2012, 02:35 PM
 
86 posts, read 164,555 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

What is the average commute time from East Cobb (either 30062 or 30068) to downtown (Five Points area)? Is there a big time difference in commute whether we are in 30062 or 30068? Are schools better in one of those subdivisions or both equally good?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2012, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
969 posts, read 1,959,883 times
Reputation: 625
I'm not sure about the commute time but if you're working downtown why not look at Sandy Springs, Dunwoody or southern Roswell so you can take the train to work... that way you can avoid traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2012, 07:13 PM
 
86 posts, read 164,555 times
Reputation: 21
We are considering Dunwoody and Sandy Springs, but East Cobb was recommended to us too by the director of my son's potential new preschool. So, I was wondering what "awful" means for commute. Is it 1 hour and stop and go the whole way, 45 minutes and pockets of slow points, 30 minutes and that is bad traffic to locals, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 05:36 AM
 
Location: Sandy Springs, GA
2,281 posts, read 3,036,149 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I'm not sure about the commute time but if you're working downtown why not look at Sandy Springs, Dunwoody or southern Roswell so you can take the train to work... that way you can avoid traffic.
Living in southern Roswell won't help her avoid traffic. The GA400 on-ramp at exit 7 (Holcomb Br) gets backed up even when it isn't rush hour and it is still 5-6 miles from the North Springs MARTA station
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 06:20 AM
 
9,124 posts, read 36,388,885 times
Reputation: 3631
I don't know exactly where those zip codes are, but I can tell you that the traffic will be from the house to 75, and on 75 until you get inside 285. So the simple answer is, the closer you are to 75, and the farther south you're getting on 75, the better.

One of the guys in my group lives in Indian Hills, which is about 4 miles from 75, between the South Loop and Delk Road. His commute to our office just north of where you're going is usually about 30 minutes if he leaves the house at 6:30. The afternoon trip home leaving around 5pm is about 45 minutes or less, depending on weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 09:05 AM
 
16,703 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Reputation: 7676
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I don't know exactly where those zip codes are, but I can tell you that the traffic will be from the house to 75, and on 75 until you get inside 285. So the simple answer is, the closer you are to 75, and the farther south you're getting on 75, the better.

One of the guys in my group lives in Indian Hills, which is about 4 miles from 75, between the South Loop and Delk Road. His commute to our office just north of where you're going is usually about 30 minutes if he leaves the house at 6:30. The afternoon trip home leaving around 5pm is about 45 minutes or less, depending on weather.

bsharynu--

Mr. Kovacs has given you the best answer. Indian Hills is basically ground zero for the areas you are considering in East Cobb.

So, if you do decide on East Cobb and for the best commute to Five Points, you will need to consider:

*The western part of the Walton district.
*The southwest part of the Pope district.
*The Wheeler district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 09:07 AM
 
16,703 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Reputation: 7676
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
bsharynu--

Mr. Kovacs has given you the best answer. Indian Hills is basically ground zero for the areas you are considering in East Cobb.

So, if you do decide on East Cobb and for the best commute to Five Points, you will need to consider:

*The western part of the Walton district.
*The southwest part of the Pope district.
*The Wheeler district.

With that said, I know that the Jewish population in the Walton district is large, and fairly decent-sized in the Pope district.


Does anyone on here have any commentary about the Jewish population in the Wheeler district--which is a good school that is also in East Cobb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Reputation: 4405
Do not commute drive downtown from East Cobb, it is a nightmare. And even if you get downtown, you still have to pay for parking. You're better off taking the train. Even people against public transit won't even dry into downtown. It's that bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 05:54 PM
 
9,124 posts, read 36,388,885 times
Reputation: 3631
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Do not commute drive downtown from East Cobb, it is a nightmare. And even if you get downtown, you still have to pay for parking. You're better off taking the train. Even people against public transit won't even dry into downtown. It's that bad
Hmmm....yes.....because ther are no cars with Cobb tags traveling into downtown Atlanta every morning......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 01:35 PM
 
86 posts, read 164,555 times
Reputation: 21
My husband's commute is about an hour now. So, anything less is ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top