Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:46 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times

Advertisements

[quote=Biggiechri;2834217]really quite sad considering Georigas rank in the US for education...and that they make PreK so difficult to get into or you have to pay...pathetic actually![/QUOTE

Georgia is one of the few states that has free Pre-K. What's pathetic about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 09:52 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
I didn't think it was state-wide, though, the free pre-K. Supposed to be but not implemented. I could be wrong but I thought I heard about that at PTA Day at the Capitol...

I'm probably wrong...

Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 AM

67 posts, read 302,185 times
We moved here in August, and did very poor planning as far as Pre-K. We were still able to get into one recommended to us with no problems just a week or so before school was to start. My daughter adores her Pre-K class and her teachers are really wonderful and she is learning a lot. I'd read a lot of 'bad reviews' of the free Pre-K program so I wasn't optimistic about it. I am so glad we gave it a chance because, hers at least, is really wonderful!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:37 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I didn't think it was state-wide, though, the free pre-K. Supposed to be but not implemented. I could be wrong but I thought I heard about that at PTA Day at the Capitol...

I'm probably wrong...
According to the GA Lottery website (the Lottery funds the Pre-K), they report having sent 850,000 kids through Pre-K throughout the entire state. Now, there might not be as many programs outside of metro Atlanta - the programs choose whether or not to take the lottery money. I have had experience with both state pre-K and private pre-k, and have to say that I was not impressed with the curriculum from the state program.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:18 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
I'm relocating to Atlanta pretty soon. I've also heard that the public pre-K is not very good. We'll be in Dekalb county. Is it more or less specific to which school, or is it not good, period?

I'm a SAHM right now, and my son will be four in May. I'll be returning to work, at least part-time once we get to Atlanta. Are there any good public pre-Ks in Dekalb, or will we have to pay for day care? Which means I'll have to work full-time as daycare is so blessedly expensive there.

He's in a very good church-run pre-school right now and I'd like to continue him on this learning track. He very smart and is an enthusiastic learner. I'd hate to derail that.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:23 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Pre-K in GA is not bad -- it is just different than what you may expect. It is a ready to learn program -- though some teachers will teach a child who is ready to read to read -- it is not part of the curriculum. If you want them to teach a kindergarten curriculum then this isn't the program for you.

If you don't choose pre-k, then you will have to pay for it.

They eat breakfast, lunch and maybe a snack as well as nap. It is really a half day program, that lasts full day if you understand what I mean.

Do you know where you will be living?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:15 PM

72 posts, read 263,984 times
there are waiting lists for all the places that have PreK (day care centers, even though they are GA PreK). Public schools that have them have a lottery and not very good odds of getting in. Many places that I know of up north you are able to just put your child in PreK at the local school...NOT the case in GA. If you cant get in anywhere here (which isnt likely) you have to pay for a private PreK. So Ohio Native has been pretty lucky apparently. I dont know anyone (and all of my friends, family and neighbors have kids) who was able to just enroll without any kind of list or payment. Free PreK has very few slots available!

Old 02-21-2008, 12:42 PM

We'll most likely be in Chamblee or Tucker. My dh's job is in Chamblee and we don't want to be too far from there. But we'll have to see what the home prices are like in that area. I'm about to have a coronary for fear that we'll be put into bankruptcy just trying to buy a house! -lol-

Old 02-21-2008, 02:27 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
did you see my post about going North just a bit into Gwinnett?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:12 PM

No, I didn't. I haven't looked at Gwinnett that closely, but I got the impression that it's pricier. We really can't go above $300k and even that will be stretching it. Frankly, that's my fear about moving to Atlanta. Everything costs much more than it does here. Do you have any schools or neighborhoods to recommend in Gwinnett? Someone mentioned Peachtree Corners, but I'm not sure if that's in Gwinnett.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: