Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:30 PM

402 posts, read 703,863 times

Advertisements

I believe its been debated here what the"ethos of Atlanta" is. A new book, the Spirit of Cities, is out that you all may find interesting elaborates on this question (not particularly Atlanta, but in general). Here is the article about the book:

The Spirit of Cities - Brainiac

From the article:

Quote:
They even break down the ingredients necessary for a truly meaningful urban ethos. First of all, you have to have a relatively integrated population, without unbridgeable socioeconomic or ethnic gaps -- that way, everyone in your city can share in a single way of life. Once that's in place, it helps to have a healthy rivalry with another city. Your ethos will be even more defined if, in some way, your city has to struggle to maintain its way of life (think of people in Montreal, fighting to keep their French-speaking heritage); it also helps to have a strong central executive in charge, like New York mayors Rudy Giuliani and Michael Bloomberg, along with strong-willed city planners. Finally, your ethos really takes shape when you have a powerful public-relations campaign, either an official one (like "I Love New York") or a more diffuse cultural agreement, like the sense that Paris is for lovers.
So for Atlanta:

1) An integrated population? I'm not sure if they mean homogenous here, but if so, then no.
2) Our rival? Some claim NY, but every city claims NY in some way. Maybe we need a better rival.
3) Stong central executive? Hmmmmm? Muhtar Kent?
4) A powerful PR campaign? "We don't get snow, usually" ?

It seems like Atlanta has no answer for any of these requirements, thus lacking an ethos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
It seems like Atlanta has no answer for any of these requirements, thus lacking an ethos?
We don't need no stinking ethos.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:37 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We don't need no stinking ethos.
We just need badges!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:40 PM

402 posts, read 703,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
We just need badges!
No, we need to be in better top 10 lists

Old 07-14-2012, 10:51 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
1) An integrated population? No. Very transient city lacking a sense of identity. Atlanta wants to embrace multi-culturalism and diversity to the point that it has lost its character. It manifests itself in ways such as Atlanta being labeled a bad "sports town".
2) Our rival? I think a rival must think of you as their rival too. NYC doesn't see Atlanta as a rival. And really, I don't think Atlanta sees NYC as its rival either. Charlotte...not really. Not yet anyway. So, no, I don't think Atlanta has a rival city.
3) Stong central executive? No. Kasim Reed is good...but I don't think he is a strong unifying authority figure.
4) A powerful PR campaign? Atlanta has been trying...for...a...long...time...to find one!

Quote:
I think part of the problem is that Atlanta is suppressing its past. As a result, we don't have much of a history other than Civil Rights. Much of old Atlanta has been knocked down and the void filled by corporate culture. As much as I dislike the Varsity food, at least it's authentic Atlanta.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:11 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Atlanta has a lot of regional economic competitors, but no real rivals to speak of.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:20 PM

47 posts, read 44,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta has a lot of regional economic competitors, but no real rivals to speak of.
Houston, Dallas, Miami, Nashville.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:21 PM

47 posts, read 44,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
1) An integrated population? No. Very transient city lacking a sense of identity. Atlanta wants to embrace multi-culturalism and diversity to the point that it has lost its character. It manifests itself in ways such as Atlanta being labeled a bad "sports town".
2) Our rival? I think a rival must think of you as their rival too. NYC doesn't see Atlanta as a rival. And really, I don't think Atlanta sees NYC as its rival either. Charlotte...not really. Not yet anyway. So, no, I don't think Atlanta has a rival city.
3) Stong central executive? No. Kasim Reed is good...but I don't think he is a strong unifying authority figure.
4) A powerful PR campaign? Atlanta has been trying...for...a...long...time...to find one!

I think part of the problem is that Atlanta is suppressing its past. As a result, we don't have much of a history other than Civil Rights. Much of old Atlanta has been knocked down and the void filled by corporate culture. As much as I dislike the Varsity food, at least it's authentic Atlanta.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:45 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,390 times
I think Atlanta's diversity--of people and of neighborhoods--is a major strength of this city.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:40 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Economicsman View Post
I find those to be economic competitors, but not really rivals--especially Nashville. I think real rivalries are Houston/Dallas, Philly/Boston, DC/Baltimore, St. Louis/Kansas City, LA/San Francisco, etc. Atlanta doesn't have any similarly-sized cities within a 500+ mile radius, so I think that probably explains it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta