Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:46 PM

6 posts, read 7,951 times

Advertisements

As my current position is coming to an end (company going out of business), I am considering a relocation to Atlanta. Although ATL used to be "the place" for me during my college years, outside of a recent weekend visit in Feb (to visit w/ parents who live in Conyers), I don't know that much about the Atlanta area anymore, and so...I'm clueless.

I'm a Single 41 year-old, black female, and I'd like suggestions on where to live. Some information to help everyone help me, (I pray that this is enough information):

1. Budget: looking to pay no more than $1,000 per month, although $700-$850 is desired.

2. House/Condo/Townhome?: no particular preference, but I am planning on renting before i decide to buy. Although a townhome is more attractive to me, I'm open to apartments, condos, etc.

3. Employment Status (commute/work from home): commute.

3a. Work location: that's up in the air, as where I apply depends on where I end up deciding to live.

4. Children (public school vs. private): N/A

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: A mix, with a lean more to the "urban" would be ideal.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?: Although I have a car, I'd prefer to commute via public transportation, so being relatively close or having access is ideal.

*SIDE NOTE* I'm currently living in the DC Metro area and commute into DC for work. It's 'easier' (on my mental &physical well being, as the gridlock here is a NIGHTMARE - not to mention the gas/maintenance savings), to use public transportation, so that's what I'm used to. Is the MARTA system 'reliable', (which is relative, seeing as how DC's Metro has had some serious issues over the past few months)?

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: a mix of singles and families would be good.

8. Airport access, important or not?: it's desirable, but not overly important, (I can always do the Airport Shuttles as I do now, if I need to get there.) Does the MARTA system go out to the airport?

If I haven't provided enough information, please ask away. Thanks - in advance - for any and all information/suggestions/recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 01:52 PM

738 posts, read 1,377,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YahwehsDaughter View Post

3a. Work location: that's up in the air, as where I apply depends on where I end up deciding to live.

*SIDE NOTE* I'm currently living in the DC Metro area and commute into DC for work. It's 'easier' (on my mental &physical well being, as the gridlock here is a NIGHTMARE - not to mention the gas/maintenance savings), to use public transportation, so that's what I'm used to. Is the MARTA system 'reliable', (which is relative, seeing as how DC's Metro has had some serious issues over the past few months)?
I strongly suggest that you do this the other way around - find a job first, then find a place to live within a reasonable commuting distance. Atlanta's job market is taking a long time to bounce back, so finding a job may be a challenge, depending on your line of work. And trust me, if you think DC is bad, you do not want to deal with rush hour traffic here.

MARTA is relatively reliable, but it is limited in scope. Some of the surrounding counties have elected not to allow MARTA, so the rail line only goes as far north as Sandy Springs / Doraville. Buses go a bit further out, but because they rely on the same streets as cars, they can literally add hours to your commute.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:52 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Dunwoody is a nice place to start, a mix of urban/suburban, much like Tyson Corner am edge city. It is served by a MARTA station. Nice apartments can be found in your price range around the Perimeter Mall area. The area has a good mix of families and singles, with a good concentration of chain restaurants and bars. The area is relatively safe, with minor home and car burglaries.
MARTA has direct connection to the terminal, one of the few transit systems that do.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:14 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
If I were you I would get unemployment in DC and move to Atlanta without telling DC since unemployment is way higher in DC instead of Atlanta

Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
I strongly suggest that you do this the other way around - find a job first, then find a place to live within a reasonable commuting distance. Atlanta's job market is taking a long time to bounce back, so finding a job may be a challenge, depending on your line of work. And trust me, if you think DC is bad, you do not want to deal with rush hour traffic here.

MARTA is relatively reliable, but it is limited in scope. Some of the surrounding counties have elected not to allow MARTA, so the rail line only goes as far north as Sandy Springs / Doraville. Buses go a bit further out, but because they rely on the same streets as cars, they can literally add hours to your commute.
Thank you so much for your feedback. I must admit that reading that counties do not want access to public transportation was a bit of a 'shock', but that's a bit of local politics that I won't concern myself with at this time.

I've been doing some searching, and it seems that there are quite a few Administrative Support positions available, but I have heard that competition - across the board - is quite steep.

This information is definitely going to help me in making my decision....thanks, again!

Old 07-16-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Dunwoody is a nice place to start, a mix of urban/suburban, much like Tyson Corner am edge city. It is served by a MARTA station. Nice apartments can be found in your price range around the Perimeter Mall area. The area has a good mix of families and singles, with a good concentration of chain restaurants and bars. The area is relatively safe, with minor home and car burglaries.
MARTA has direct connection to the terminal, one of the few transit systems that do.
Thank you! I hadn't really considered Dunwoody - don't know that much about it. How would you compare it to "Norcross" and/or "Stone Mountain", (which were two locations suggested to me.)

Old 07-16-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
If I were you I would get unemployment in DC and move to Atlanta without telling DC since unemployment is way higher in DC instead of Atlanta
WOW! That is TRULY a scary thought, (unemployment in DC is LESS than $400/week!) To be honest, that was my plan, but we'll see.

THANK YOU!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:10 AM

369 posts, read 657,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post

Na DC traffic is worst.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Thank you! I hadn't really considered Dunwoody - don't know that much about it. How would you compare it to "Norcross" and/or "Stone Mountain", (which were two locations suggested to me.)
Much better and has everything you are looking for. A mix of urban/suburban and rail transit access. Norcross and Stone Mtn are completely suburban.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:16 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Unemployment compensation has nothing to do with where you relocate. It is based on the state in which you earned income. If you live in Florida, for example, and move to Georgia, your compensation will be from Florida.

Of course, in every case, a person should always check the rules of his or her state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta