Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:47 AM

175 posts, read 235,550 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered why Marta Heavy Rail never got built at least to Cumberland Mall back during its Birth
Before I get my head chewed on this let me state what I Know

I Realize that Cumberland lies just across the river in Cobb County which Rejected Marta back in the 1970s
But with that being said I looked up the history of Cumberland mall via wikipedia ( unreliable ive hear but whatever) But the Mall opened in 1973 and was Georgias Largest Mall at the time and has been boomin ever since.

Marta first rail segment opened in 1975. There are stubs North of the Arts center station to the northwest to allow for such a Line...Now my point is this...I looked at google maps and there is a good portion of Fulton County that goes on before you hit the Cobb co line at the River...They should Have built te Northwest line at least to Cumberland blvd...literally just across the River...with stops at : Northside pkway-Peachtree Battle/Wesley Rd- Paces Ferry- Mt Paran rd- And Cumberland blvd

Yes the last stop is in Cobb co but it would be the same as the Airport stop being located in Clayton County..A non marta participant...Considering that Cumberland Mall is now home to 2 major coporations ( home depot, the weather channel) And over 200,000 Residents and Workers Containing more office space than Downtown
Miami, It seems Really shortsighted of Marta to not have built this Line...

Now today some 30 plus years later The 75 Corridor as a whole from 575 on down is a major traffic Nightmare And were fighting over what kind of service should run up that way...We shouldve built It back then at least to Cumberland when Land was cheaper and less developed...Now it will cost Billions and take God knows how Long Before something Viable is constructed..

New york city Built its elevated lines literally out to the Farms of nowhere....Knowing that one day The Development will follow...Boy if they werent Right on the Money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 12:49 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
< SIGH >

For the record, the first MARTA line opened in 1979.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:32 AM

175 posts, read 235,550 times
Sorry about that...Even more of a reason why it should have been built...meaning te mall existed for 6 Years BEFORE the opening..enough time to see that a rail line wouldve been needed...thanx for the correction..

Old 07-18-2012, 05:35 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
The good people of Cobb County rejected MARTA. Period, end of story.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:06 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,886 times
The state of Georgia should have stepped in. Obviously the geniuses who ran/lived in Cobb County were unable to see the big picture.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:31 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Cobb County rejected MARTA. The Airport station is completely a different situation than Cumberland. The Airport is owned by the City of Atlanta. It made no sense then to run a rail line to a county that didn't want it then, the area around 75, ITP is low density and could not have supported the line. The nightmare on 75, OTP, is Cobb County and GDOT fault.
Quote:
Obviously the geniuses who ran/lived in Cobb County were unable to see the big picture.
and now they must suffer in their own congestion.
The reason the Cumberland line is on the first round of TIA projects, in round 2 a Perimeter Line will be proposed connecting Cumberland to Doraville via the Top-end-Perimeter. This could not be built first because it must have connections at either end.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
Now my point is this...I looked at google maps and there is a good portion of Fulton County that goes on before you hit the Cobb co line at the River...They should Have built te Northwest line at least to Cumberland blvd...literally just across the River...with stops at : Northside pkway-Peachtree Battle/Wesley Rd- Paces Ferry- Mt Paran rd- And Cumberland blvd

It seems Really shortsighted of Marta to not have built this Line...
You are actually not the first person (by any means) to think this way. I've lived in Atlanta since 1984 and once MARTA began to expand past the Arts Center station, this thought was expressed at numerous meetings, usually met with, "We don't see a need for it at this time", by MARTA officials. Back then, they were just as guilty of not truly thinking ahead as the suburban county leaders were/are.

Cobb and Gwinnett leaders have indeed have their heads "somewhere" when it comes to rail expansion in the area, but in this particular case MARTA can share some of the blame for not having a NE line that would go to the Cobb/Vinings line in preparation of "one day" expansions into the area - and having park-and-ride lots in place so Cobb commuters could still utilize the system in a way such as Gwinnett residents use the Doraville station today. A Northside Parkway station would have generated considerable ridership/revenue for MARTA over the years, much as the same way Doraville does per Gwinnett riders. As it is now as you stated, it will be much easier and less costly to eventually expand into Gwinnett, than it will be into Cobb.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:34 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Cobb saved a bunch of money and as a bonus they managed to stave off the social breakdown for 30 years.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:40 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Cobb saved a bunch of money and as a bonus they managed to stave off the social breakdown for 30 years.
What an ignorant statement. So your still in the mindset that transit brings in crime?

Old 07-18-2012, 10:45 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
I have always wondered why Marta Heavy Rail never got built at least to Cumberland Mall back during its Birth
Before I get my head chewed on this let me state what I Know

I Realize that Cumberland lies just across the river in Cobb County which Rejected Marta back in the 1970s
But with that being said I looked up the history of Cumberland mall via wikipedia ( unreliable ive hear but whatever) But the Mall opened in 1973 and was Georgias Largest Mall at the time and has been boomin ever since.

Marta first rail segment opened in 1975. There are stubs North of the Arts center station to the northwest to allow for such a Line...Now my point is this...I looked at google maps and there is a good portion of Fulton County that goes on before you hit the Cobb co line at the River...They should Have built te Northwest line at least to Cumberland blvd...literally just across the River...with stops at : Northside pkway-Peachtree Battle/Wesley Rd- Paces Ferry- Mt Paran rd- And Cumberland blvd

Yes the last stop is in Cobb co but it would be the same as the Airport stop being located in Clayton County..A non marta participant...Considering that Cumberland Mall is now home to 2 major coporations ( home depot, the weather channel) And over 200,000 Residents and Workers Containing more office space than Downtown
Miami, It seems Really shortsighted of Marta to not have built this Line...

Now today some 30 plus years later The 75 Corridor as a whole from 575 on down is a major traffic Nightmare And were fighting over what kind of service should run up that way...We shouldve built It back then at least to Cumberland when Land was cheaper and less developed...Now it will cost Billions and take God knows how Long Before something Viable is constructed..

New york city Built its elevated lines literally out to the Farms of nowhere....Knowing that one day The Development will follow...Boy if they werent Right on the Money!
The Home Depot SSC is on Paces Ferry RD, the cuberland location is not the home base for Home Depot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta