Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:25 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,040,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernassassin View Post
For me I feel like its just a matter time because Hillgrove pulls from over around Jim R Miller park and other areas where there are LOTS of renters and houses in the low $100K range. That is ultimately what doomed McEachern.
According to the 2012-2013 school zone map on the Cobb County website, Hillgrove doesn't pull from anywhere east/south of Powder Springs Rd, and only a tiny section south of Macland Rd. (only a few houses, it appears). The area around Jim Miller Park is zoned for Osborne, and almost all of the area directly around Powder Springs Rd and north of Barrett/EW Connector is either Osborne or Marietta.

Like you said, we'll just agree to disagree. My main reason is that there is a mass of non-renters in well-kept neighborhoods within the Hillgrove district that simply will not or cannot move out due to the economy and the housing market - so if they aren't going anywhere, I don't see Hillgrove changing much over the next few yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 09:46 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,354,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
There are still new subdivisions being built, or continued, anyway. We have one right by us (Woodbridge Crossing) which is right on the E/W Connector.
Indeed, all around the East-West Connector are current or very recent subdivisions with newer houses. Not sure where this "ALL homes are old" thing is coming from.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:23 PM

17 posts, read 35,044 times
We just sold our home off W. Sandtown Rd. last month (closing in a few days). We're in the Lovinggood/Hillgrove school district. We immediately had a LOT of showings and were under contract in 26 days. Most prospective buyers and the eventual buyer were looking specifically in this school district. No complaints here. Avenues is a good thing. Target/Staples/Starbucks is a good thing. Windy Hill extension is a GREAT thing. If you're out here and on the right side of your mortgage, it's not a terrible time to sell. Set a fair price and you'll likely get it. We did.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:29 AM

5 posts, read 9,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
There are still new subdivisions being built, or continued, anyway. We have one right by us (Woodbridge Crossing) which is right on the E/W Connector.
Just closed on our new home in Woodbridge Crossing earlier this week. Looking forward to moving into the Smyrna area. It's an Ashton Woods product.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:55 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLew View Post
Just closed on our new home in Woodbridge Crossing earlier this week. Looking forward to moving into the Smyrna area. It's an Ashton Woods product.
Congrats. I live a mile south from you just south of the Smyrna line. I'm curious what you think of that subdivision ... it wasn't that many years ago that the area was nothing but trees!

(I've been in the Atlanta area for almost eight years now, and it's been fascinating to watch how QUICKLY things change down here).

Old 05-10-2013, 10:52 AM

148 posts, read 232,284 times
I wanted to revisit this thread about West Cobb. How are the Harrison and Kennesaw Mtn school districts? Do you think they are trending up or down or neutral? Thanks.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:54 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,184,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathkid View Post
homes are ALL aging here, average of 10yrs now. Should that decrease home values?..what Georgian wants to live in an old house?
"Aging"... 10 year old home = an "old house"

You are kidding, right? Only in Atlanta would someone even say something as ludicrous and ridiculous. I wonder what you would have considered my 120 year old home in New England? A museum relic?

My home in West Cobb is now approaching 7 years old, and sure you have to do the maintenance, but old, hardly. When family and friends from out of town come to visit they love my "new home" which it really still could be considered. Anything less than 20 years would be considered new in many markets.

What is your solution, to knock down the houses every 10 years and build new?

Old 05-11-2013, 08:45 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,991,836 times
Our house was built in 1914. When we were shopping for houses, we liked everything from before 1970 to after 1995. It seemed to us that houses built during that late 20th c. time period (70s & 80s & early 90s) were constructed cheaply--thin walls, cheap finishes--so actually it wasn't an "old" thing. The pre1970s houses and 2000s houses both seemed great. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta