Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 02:24 PM

5 posts, read 15,857 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from Houston, TX, and I am trying to decide between two homes - one in Ward Meade Farm, the other in Brookstone in Acworth. The one in Brookstone is fabulous, while the one in Ward Meade is smaller but close to my husband's work in Midtown. Any info you have on the people, schools, etc. would be great. Ward Meade goes to Sope Creek Elementary, while Brookstone in Acworth goes to Ford Elementary. I have three girls -- ages 4, 5 and 8. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 04:13 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Which part of Houston are you coming from?

Old 06-12-2009, 08:15 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watkinsfive View Post
We are relocating from Houston, TX, and I am trying to decide between two homes - one in Ward Meade Farm, the other in Brookstone in Acworth. The one in Brookstone is fabulous, while the one in Ward Meade is smaller but close to my husband's work in Midtown. Any info you have on the people, schools, etc. would be great. Ward Meade goes to Sope Creek Elementary, while Brookstone in Acworth goes to Ford Elementary. I have three girls -- ages 4, 5 and 8. Thanks!!
East Cobb is the better area for schools and prestige. Traffic in east Cobb can be bad if you take Johnson Ferry over the river.

Brookstone has nice houses and is a nice area (Acworth, near the Paulding line) but the traffic in rush hour on Stilesboro and Burnt Hickory can be murder. The high school is new (Allatoona) and has no track record to compare but you've got plenty of time on that one. We almost bought a house in Brookstone and what turned me off was the traffic and long ride just to get to Barrett Pkwy. They are widening Stilesboro, but I tend to think it will still be pretty tough in rush hour.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,690 times
Neil pretty much said it. Both areas are great, but i like brookstone as far as subdivisions go. However the commute benefit from living in Ward Meade Farm will make this a no brainer, at least for me.

Keep in mind that home maintenance in GA can be quite a chore (even just getting it all scheduled) due to humidity, freeze and thaw etc and the marrieta area is getting up there in age big time as far as GA home age is concerned (10+ years).

Old 06-13-2009, 05:01 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watkinsfive View Post

Well, Ward Meade Farm would offer the better commute...much, much better. Ward Meade Farm's schools are Sope Creek Elementary (great!), East Cobb Middle (good/decent!), and Wheeler High (excellent!).

Most of Brookstone feeds into Ford Elementary, Durham Middle (?...maybe Lost Mountain Middle, and Harrison High. Keep in mind...the northern one-third to one-fourth of Brookstone feeds into Pickett's Mill Elementary, Durham Middle, and Allatoona High.

Overall, I think Ward Meade Farm is the obvious choice...you have top-notch schools, easy commute, and an unbeatable Paper Mill Road Area location!

Old 06-14-2009, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 15,857 times
Thanks for all of the info. The Brookstone home would go to Ford and Harrison. Not sure about the middle, but they're both good. I am a little worried about the snob factor in East Cobb, as I live in a great subdivision in Cypress, TX now with no social pressure or snobbishness whatsoever. My husband is used to an hour commute to downtown Houston, and he would leave the Brookstone home at 6:30 a.m. I have heard that it's a 45 minute commute to Midtown. Is that correct? What about if he leaves downtown at 4 p.m.? How horrendous would the commute be? What would we contrast that with for the Ward Meade Farm commute? Is that around 30 minutes? Thanks for the responses, you are most helpful!

Old 06-14-2009, 11:11 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
I'm thinking you're looking at closer to an hour from Brookstone, even at 6:30. It's a long way from the subdivision to 75, and it's mostly 4-lane roads with traffic lights. Coming home during rush hour, I'd count on 1:15-1:30.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:04 PM

5 posts, read 13,196 times
Default Brookstone

I live near Brookstone, & my husband works near the airport (which is another 15 minutes south of midtown) & it takes him a little less than an hour to get to work (he leaves at 6am). There are many, many transplants in this area. It's nice to have neighbors from all over the country (we're all in the same boat).

I know some people that live in Brookstone & really like it, as well as raving about Ford Elementary. I know that Harrison is a wonderful high school as well.

Good luck home shopping...you should be able to find some great deals right now!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:26 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
Five years ago, I spent a few months having to get to a church right by Brookstone once a week at 6pm, leaving from my office on the west side of Sandy Springs. I had to leave the office by 4:45pm. I-75 was like a parking lot at that time of day. Stilesboro Road was terrible - and I gather there's been a great deal more development along Stilesboro in the last few years. At the time it was mostly a country road through fields.

I've done commuting and I've done living-near-the-job. In my opinion, a long commute is throwing away your life. The only people who don't mind it are those who've never had the opportunity to experience a non-commuting family lifestyle. It's of greater value to kids to grow up with a parent who's present at breakfast and dinner, than in a big flashy house provided by the labors of someone they rarely see.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:17 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Five years ago, I spent a few months having to get to a church right by Brookstone once a week at 6pm, leaving from my office on the west side of Sandy Springs. I had to leave the office by 4:45pm. I-75 was like a parking lot at that time of day. Stilesboro Road was terrible - and I gather there's been a great deal more development along Stilesboro in the last few years. At the time it was mostly a country road through fields.

I've done commuting and I've done living-near-the-job. In my opinion, a long commute is throwing away your life. The only people who don't mind it are those who've never had the opportunity to experience a non-commuting family lifestyle. It's of greater value to kids to grow up with a parent who's present at breakfast and dinner, than in a big flashy house provided by the labors of someone they rarely see.
Yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta