U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 04:53 PM

9,008 posts, read 11,923,013 times

Advertisements

A lot of people complain about chain stores.

I'm not saying chain stores are the best things going, but I think they are fine mixed in with a good mix of all kinds of businesses.

Anyway, I was in New York last week. And guess what I saw everywhere? That's right....chains! Chains as far as the eye could see, right there in the middle of MIDTOWN MANHATTAN!

The days of having to go to New Jersey to go to a chain seem to be over. There's even a Home Depot right there in the middle of everything.

Bottom line: chains do not ruin an urban core. Unless you think New York has been ruined.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 05:01 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 16,278,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

I'm not saying chain stores are the best things going, 1. but I think they are fine mixed in with a good mix of all kinds of businesses.Anyway, I was in New York last week. And guess what I saw everywhere? That's right....chains! 2. Chains as far as the eye could see, right there in the middle of MIDTOWN MANHATTAN!

The days of having to go to New Jersey to go to a chain seem to be over. There's even a Home Depot right there in the middle of everything.

Bottom line: chains do not ruin an urban core. Unless you think New York has been ruined.
1. I've never heard anyone make a claim to the contrary.

2. That sounds like an exciting place. Can't wait to spend my tourist dollars there.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:26 PM

2,118 posts, read 5,875,054 times
Main street, hometown USA used to be lined with locally owned businesses that helped to employ locals at decent wages and benefits and keep money in the community.

When a cost-cutting, price-slashing Mega-Lo Mart comes into town, that's kind of hard to compete with that. And even harder to live on Mega-Lo wages and benefits or lack thereof. I'm sure they'll all be granted waivers for providing health insurance for their employees come 2014.

Quote:

I'm not saying chain stores are the best things going, but I think they are fine mixed in with a good mix of all kinds of businesses.
Obviously there's all kinds of chains and many of which people don't consider to be evil but it's really hard to have this "good mix of all businesses" when big fish devour the little fish. Or when nobody pays a visit to their local family owned nursery anymore because why waste time doing that when you can just buy all your plants when you're at the Home Cheapo picking up batteries and paint.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:49 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,175,621 times
I don't think it's the chain store, but the big box discount stores. NY has Macy's as well as dozens of others.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:31 PM

4,584 posts, read 6,729,898 times
Quote:

Anyway, I was in New York last week. And guess what I saw everywhere? That's right....chains! Chains as far as the eye could see, right there in the middle of MIDTOWN MANHATTAN!

It probably has do more with the rents getting so high that only chains can afford the rent anymore.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:38 PM

30,998 posts, read 30,201,965 times
I don't see any problem with chain stores. One of the things I like about New York is the way it blends in tons of local shops, galleries and restaurants along with the big department stores and chains. You get all the mainstream merchants but you also have a very rich local flavor.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,003,848 times
Quote:

Personally, I like travelling around the country trying all the McDonalds' and Starbucks' in each city. I want to see and taste the same things where ever I go.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:59 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,003,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Obviously there's all kinds of chains and many of which people don't consider to be evil but it's really hard to have this "good mix of all businesses" when big fish devour the little fish. Or when nobody pays a visit to their local family owned nursery anymore because why waste time doing that when you can just buy all your plants when you're at the Home Cheapo picking up batteries and paint.
Now it's online retailers like Amazon that are cutting into the "Big Box" markets. No bricks-n-mortar and salestaff, and for now no sales tax.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 3,051 times
There are ups and downs for chain stores. Because of the volume they do Chain stores can offer lower prices to the consumer. On the other hand, these lower prices put the small mom & pop stores out of business. it's a double edge sword.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:23 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,940,018 times
If you think about it from 30,000 ft up - the purpose of chains is to collect the masses money and distibute it to one man at the top.

If a town had 10 different mom/pop stores - each would have a business owner making a decent living, folks w/ living wages etc. A store does well. The owner thinks, to maximize profits, I can use the same knowledge/design/suppliers and do this elsewhere for slighlty cheaper (or franchise it out). The added money goes to the same man, while the owner in town two has to close shop. The cycles spins faster and faster - as the more stores that are opened, the cheaper the cost to produce the goods and thus lower prices, reflecting in low salaries.

Who wins - the man who is the owner now owns 38 Burger Kings and has 6 vacation homes, a yacht and an island. The white collar professionals (or anyone in a different industry) benefit because they have higher salaries, yet can spend less on the products. Everyone else, however, has a lower wage/no job or more pennies to pinch.

I would propose the "franchising" and "chain stores" of Americas is what has made the country so boring in the past 40 years. Why would I want to visit any suburb of Atlanta. It's just one Kohl's, next to a Panera, next to an LA Fitness, next to a Macy's. Which is exactly what Paramus, NJ looks like. Exactly what Shaumberg, IL looks like. So much so - that when traveling on vacation - you think - why even bother - it's exactly the same stuff I have at home. Notice, the only places you really enjoy, are those that ban/refuse to be "corporatized" - the beach towns, small quaint fishing villages, Newports of the world, Mackinac etc. Who is going to go on vacation and visit a Norcoss, Alpharatta or Sandy Springs. There's nothing there that isn't any different than 50,000 other towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta