Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:30 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayateWind View Post
Does anyone remember the idea for the "The Big Cap?"

The concept was to build one giant bridge over the sunken parts of the downtown connector, re-knit the city's street grid and fill any remaining space with parkland and greenery on top. I thought this was an excellent compromise, and I absolutely love the idea of such a long and interconnected park area in the heart of the city like that.

The cost is the issue, but such an action like this would go a long way towards making the area more attractive.
So basically turn the Downtown Connector into one long tunnel through the central city? Again, the negatives (potential for enormous disaster) far outweighs any aesthetic positives. Not to mention what it would do to Atlanta's "brand" -- a lot of people (me included) ENJOY driving through that canyon of skyscrapers and admiring all the post-modern architecture, especially at night.

Folks, huge urban highways like the DTC (2nd largest daily traffic volume in the US) exist FOR ONE PURPOSE: To move huge amounts of vehicles. If they are pleasing to the eye, all the better. But that is not (and shouldn't be) the DOT's top priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 08:42 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
Construct a park over it..... Like an overpass it would span most of the connector and offer a huge and unique experience as well as connect midtown and downtown.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:20 PM

389 posts, read 797,151 times
Don't focus too much on the "urban forest" concept. They do put forward several other ideas like "vertical greening:"

http://www.atlantadowntown.com/_file...y-07-14-11.pdf

Old 07-21-2012, 09:32 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
I love the concepts. Like they did in Seattle something really cool can be done, but even small improvements will be nice. From a release last month:

The first award has been given to help fund the project.

I-75/85 Downtown Connector Gateway Bridge Improvements-
The project will upgrade two existing bridges along the I-75/85 Connector: Peachtree Street and
Capitol Avenue/Memorial Drive. Upgrades will include safety enhancements such as
replacement fencing, improved way-finding elements and enhanced pedestrian amenities. The
GTIB grant award amount is $200,000.

Midtown Gateway Bridge Improvements- The project will upgrade three existing bridges along the I-75/85 Connector: Peachtree Street, 10th Street and North Avenue. Upgrades will include safety enhancements to the bridges including improved signalization, replacement fencing, new way-finding signage, enhanced pedestrian amenities including upgraded crosswalks. The GTIB grant award amount is $200,000.

Governor Announces Transportation Infrastructure Project Awards | Downtown Atlanta

Last edited by noah; 07-21-2012 at 09:58 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 09:36 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Don't focus too much on the "urban forest" concept. They do put forward several other ideas like "vertical greening:"

http://www.atlantadowntown.com/_file...y-07-14-11.pdf
Yea, but what would that look like in the wintertime??? If it's something 'evergreen' then cool, but I doubt it.

As mentioned earlier, I enjoy driving down the connector and admiring the buildings. You can hardly get that kind of view anywhere else in the country. Also, think what it would cost to cap the connector, not to mention the extensive lane closures that would require. Isn't traffic there already bad enough?

There are some REALLY excellent ideas in this though. Where on Earth would the money come from?

Old 07-21-2012, 10:00 PM

396 posts, read 601,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
So basically turn the Downtown Connector into one long tunnel through the central city? Again, the negatives (potential for enormous disaster) far outweighs any aesthetic positives. Not to mention what it would do to Atlanta's "brand" -- a lot of people (me included) ENJOY driving through that canyon of skyscrapers and admiring all the post-modern architecture, especially at night.

Folks, huge urban highways like the DTC (2nd largest daily traffic volume in the US) exist FOR ONE PURPOSE: To move huge amounts of vehicles. If they are pleasing to the eye, all the better. But that is not (and shouldn't be) the DOT's top priority.
i see what you're saying, believe me... but imagine if you could stand on top of the connector, say 30' in the air, and actually be able to walk around and seriously enjoy the skyline instead of haphazardly glancing at it while simultaneously driving the indy 500?

Old 07-22-2012, 01:21 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
i see what you're saying, believe me... but imagine if you could stand on top of the connector, say 30' in the air, and actually be able to walk around and seriously enjoy the skyline instead of haphazardly glancing at it while simultaneously driving the indy 500?
INDY 500?! I'm guessing that the average speed -- at best -- on the DTC is about 45 mph, and quite often it's at a stop-and-go standstill. Indy 500?! LOL!

Old 07-22-2012, 05:28 AM

126 posts, read 231,890 times
Quote:

I think the concept was only planned to be implemented between North Avenue and 17th Street Anyway, where the project made the most sense, so it wouldn't be like ALL of the connector. Just the areas where they can. For example, the Grady Curve couldn't be capped, because of how most of it sits very near ground level. And they wouldn't because arguably the best view of Atlanta (at least coming from the south) is there.

So don't worry, they left room for compromise. XD

Old 07-22-2012, 08:40 AM

396 posts, read 601,653 times
Quote:
INDY 500?! I'm guessing that the average speed -- at best -- on the DTC is about 45 mph, and quite often it's at a stop-and-go standstill. Indy 500?! LOL!
yeah yeah... you just haven't ridden with me at the wheel

Old 07-22-2012, 09:48 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
I don't see why the Connector can't easily be greened up. Obviously you can't put a tree where it creates a safety hazard, but there are many ways around that. You can also easily green up some of those humongous retaining walls and do better lighting. None of this costs a fortune and and there are several ways to raise the money.

If we really wanted to do it right, there's no reason whatsoever that we couldn't do what Dallas has done with the Klyde Warren Park over the Woodall Rogers expressway. (Except that folks in Dallas are willing to spend money on infrastructure).

The Park

The Park Virtual Fly Through.wmv - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta